Canada Post sucks

I am so mad at Canada Post. In over 10 years on eBay, this is the first time I had an item not delivered and Canada Post tracking shows delivered (September 22, 2014).

I waited another 24 hours to make sure the idiots servicing the community mail boxes did not put the parcel compartment key into someone else's mail slot.

Called Canada Post and they told me "though **bleep**, your parcel is long gone and you're out of luck". Luck? I'm out of $78 and get no decent help from Canada Post. They say only the sender can file for non-delivery.

I went to Paypal to ask the seller to refund as the item was a gift and because of timing, I purchased from a Canadian seller.

Has anybody filed a successful claim for a refund in a similar situation?

I buy most of my stuff from Amazon now, prices are good and delivery is by UPS which I love since the community mail boxes are terrible and Canada Post has no customer service.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Canada Post sucks

Not all Amazon shipping is through UPS,sometimes they use canada post:

this is what I got Today:

SHIP CARRIER   Canada post

But I agree with you that Amazon .ca is getting better and their prices are very reasonable  ,some of the stuff I buy on dot ca is even cheaper than the Amazon .com.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

buurin
Community Member

@peteese wrote:

I am so mad at Canada Post. In over 10 years on eBay, this is the first time I had an item not delivered and Canada Post tracking shows delivered (September 22, 2014).

I waited another 24 hours to make sure the idiots servicing the community mail boxes did not put the parcel compartment key into someone else's mail slot.

I had exactly that happened last week, and went as far as to open a case on paypal.

Five days after claimed delivery, it finally showed up.

I shudder at the thought of what could happen if 416 proper is switched to community mailboxes.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

In over 10 years on eBay, this is the first time I had an item not delivered

So once is enough for you to give up on years of good service?

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

I live in an apartment with a very good onsite caretaker. this same incident happend to me with the "Delivered" showing on tracking through Canada Post. turns on the caretaker took it to bring to me, because otherwise the postman would just leave it in the mailbox but in most cases when the parcel is too big  the post would leave it outside the mail box in the lobby. in which anyone can take it.. what I will do now just to not burden my local post and caretaker is to phone in and ask them to hold any packages that wont fit in the mailbox at the post office. good luck m8

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

rawdmon
Community Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me, only with a much more expensive item.  I've been eBaying since 2001 and have purchased several expensive items, but I've never experienced an issue like I did recently.  I bought something off eBay from someone in Newfoundland worth almost $600. The Canada Post tracking showed that it was delivered to my community mailbox (which I was surprised of given the price of the item). I went to get it and there was no key in my mailbox to retrieve the package. I immediately notified the seller and Canada Post of the issue. I never received my package meaning whoever got the key in their mailbox stole it, or some postal worker stole it, or it got re-routed lord knows where. I was home all day too as I work from home, they never tried to deliver it to my door before dropping it in there. After almost two months of back and forth with both Canada Post and the seller eBay refunded me my money. I'm not sure whether the seller received reimbursement from Canada Post or not, but I was extremely unimpressed with the whole incident.  Canada Post's service was terrible, especially each time I called them.  I buy a lot of stuff online and this is the first time this has happened (other than the time it happened with a $5 item that I bought off Amazon). It was quite simply shocking. Their lack of response to the issue was extremely unimpressive. All they would have had to do was send someone to the mailbox the first day that I complained and either hand deliver the parcel to me or put the key in the proper mailbox, but obviously that didn't happen.  The seller should have shipped the package requiring a signature, but I had no control over how it was shipped to me.  I could have asked him to do so but I guess I just took it for granted that he would.  I hope he insured it and got his money reimbursed by Canada Post.  I've completely lost confidence in Canada Post after this one and will be making sure, going forward, that sellers on eBay agree to send me packages requiring a signature (I'll pay the extra if required) before I purchase any expensive items.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

Yup Canada Post SUCKS! I recently purchased a hold mail service. Even though the hold mail service was still valid, they returned an international parcel which I had paid $29.99 for. I have lost that money now. Then another international parcel arrived last week that looked like it had been run over by a truck and I refused it. I paid $117.00 for that item and I have lost that now too. I have called the claims centre several times. In one case they created a ticket but cancelled it and never contacted me. They did issue a postal money order to refund me for the money I paid for the hold mail service, but refused to cash it. The claims centre refuses to open any further tickets for me because nothing is their fault. Over the last year Canada Post has lost numerous articles of my mail, including a government cheque. Much of my mail arrives damaged. I made more than 80 attempts to call the Canada Post Ombudsmun yesterday (I have the times documented), but each and every time the line was busy. I have had to contact a member of parliament to look into this, because when I contact the claim centre they tell me they are not responsible. I know they are not responsible, in fact they are quite irresponsible. They seem to think they are not accountable. If Canada Post was privitized the government would create and enforce certain standards, yet as a crown corporation they do nothing???? Like Ryan Matte, I make numerous online purchases and up until this last year have not had any problems. However over the last year the lost and damaged articles have been significant.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

These are the Terms and Conditions of the "Hold Mail" service

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/receive/holdmailtc.jsf 

Specifically:

"Parcels (e.g., PriorityTM, XpresspostTM, XpresspostTM Certified, Expedited ParcelTM and Regular Parcel), including prepaid envelopes, may be delivered during the “Hold” period. Should you expect any parcel deliveries, please advise sender(s) to delay shipping until your return."

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

I think if more sellers send parcels via registered mail then there would be no problem, but I guess would be a bit more expensive for the buyer.

You sign for it when you get it . But I would rather pay a bit more for registered mail rather lose out like this via community mail boxes.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

Hummm, that's funny, I've had nothing but flawless service from Canada post over the years. Never lost a single package as a buyer or seller.  This must make me the exception?

Seriously, what's the alternative??  UPS??? give your head a shake

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

I have been having such a terrible time with CP lately. I used to agree with the supporters, UPS is not a great alternative But honestly, their service has been so much better lately. A year or so ago, I didn't understand all the whining either. Even maybe 6 months ago it was better but I have never had so many  and I have been using Canada Post regularly for many years, and I mean once a month or more so I would know what the quality should be like. I am feeling incredulous about it, their jobs are on the line right now. I have never had all of these happens before the past year: packages delivered to the wrong place (how?), packages delivered in America and re-routed, delivery cards not being delivered when they supposedly attempted delivery, packages left on the street or in view and general laziness. This stuff happens from time to time but it's pretty weird that it's all been in the past year and they just don't seem to care anymore. I have complained directly to them several times with no resolution or better service in the future. 

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

When the Post Office lays off or does not replace unionized postal workers, the work is contracted out.

Some of the problems may be the result of piecework subs trying to get as much off the truck as they can, since their hourly wage is not liveable.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

pierrelebel stated:

These are the Terms and Conditions of the "Hold Mail" service

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/receive/holdmailtc.jsf 

Specifically:

"Parcels (e.g., PriorityTM, XpresspostTM, XpresspostTM Certified, Expedited ParcelTM and Regular Parcel), including prepaid envelopes, may be delivered during the “Hold” period. Should you expect any parcel deliveries, please advise sender(s) to delay shipping until your return."

------------------------

Wow!  That's really good information to have.  In other words, they do not cross check their database for hold with their other services.

I believe the original poster indicated the parcel was returned to the shipper, rather than delivered.  I guess they sent notices or tried to deliver several times unsuccessfully.

The question, of course, is what is someone supposed to do if they have a parcel shipped to them which they were not expecting (and it wasn't ticking ;-)), like a gift, or a prize, or whatever. Seems like a pretty incomplete system which could be improved upon.

All they would have to do is have a centralized database for all their services which showed when a client has a paid hold.  A friend of mine had to move several times during a 6 month period and had either forwarding or holds done.  Besides that it was quite costly, they got it wrong much of the time, missing the forwarding, or shortening the dates on it, asking for new fees, claiming the hold or forwarding service had expired when it hadn't, etc.    No wonder they claim they are bankrupt, they aren't, but they certainly seem to be working on it.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

PayPal is really good.  Refund is very quick.  I find PayPal to be very helpful, listens to my problems and resolves them to my satisfaction.

I agree with your subject matter about Canada Post.  I have been receiving all my Canada Post Delivery Notifications by email but so far, have only received Page 2 /2 in FRENCH but never any Page 1 / 2 in English, which is the only language I can read (no apologies).

I am unable to send an email to Canada Post to complain or ask them to fix their email notifications.  I'd like Canada Post to please send me the English portion of the Delivery Notification.   Thank you.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

Never use Canada Post again E Bay Sellers. They are going on strike and should privitize. they throw packages around and play ball with them. Use Purolator!!!!!

@peteese wrote:

Called Canada Post and they told me "though **bleep**, your parcel is long gone and you're out of luck". Luck? I'm out of $78 and get no decent help from Canada Post. They say only the sender can file for non-delivery.

I went to Paypal to ask the seller to refund as the item was a gift and because of timing, I purchased from a Canadian seller.

I buy most of my stuff from Amazon now, prices are good and delivery is by UPS which I love since the community mail boxes are terrible and Canada Post has no customer service.

@peteese wrote:

@peteese wrote:

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

Canada Post owns Purolator. Check it out. They are doing this to phase out door to door. postal workers will be working at Tim Hortons and Purolator will take over as # 1 for parcel delivery.

Try Fed Ex, I am and its awesome, no worries I will get what I paid for in one piece and in good time.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

@3882glend wrote:

Never use Canada Post again E Bay Sellers. They are going on strike and should privitize. they throw packages around and play ball with them. Use Purolator!!!!!

Canada Post employees are not going on strike.  Canada Post has given 72 hours lockout notice.

Should the lockout take effect, Canada Post will be mothballing its own operations.  The union isn't responsible for Canada Post shutting down.

By the way, my understanding is that no carrier has a monopoly on packages being used as footballs.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

Of course the union is responsible. Defined pension plans are going, going , gone.

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

Canada Post delivers 2 of every 3 online purchases in Canada. They may not play football with your packages like Purolator, but they totally suck and deserve what they get, which will be nothing. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Canada Post sucks

But you figure that it's okay for Canada Post's CEO to get half a million dollars a year for potentially halting the corporation's operations?

And that it's okay for female employees to be paid less than their male counterparts for the same work?

Message 20 of 34
latest reply