Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Import charges

@nsbridge.2008 wrote:

I do not buy from anyone using this GPS system, it is over charging and ridiculous. Their loss not mine. It is cheaper for me to buy from the U.K. or China. Canada goes without saying.

Don't forget that not all U.S. sellers use the Global Shipping Program.

In fact, I argue that most U.S. sellers who are using the GSP are ones who have likely not shipped much--if anything--directly to their international buyers before opting (or finding themselves opted) into the GSP.

Message 561 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

i am the same...will never use global shipping...see a $10 item with $30 shipping...right Ebay, tell me your sales increase as nobody but nobody is going to be stupid enough to buy from the seller who uses global...give us a option to send global, priority or use first class (without Paypal protection)...

Message 562 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

"Canada Post claims they never got it."

It means that Canada Post has not yet scanned the parcel in their system.

Possibly the seller delivered the parcel in a mail box (not scanned by Post Office) or at the local postal outlet where it could possibly get in the system without being scanned.

Give it a week or so.  Patience.

Pierre

Message 563 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

If the seller used an Delivery Confirmed service rather than a Tracked service, which is much more expensive, the fact that Canada Post confirms the purchase of the postage is a pretty good indication that the parcel is on its way.

UPS is a courier, with no ties to Canada Post, except that in rural and isolated areas, they sub-contract their deliveries to the postal system.

I don't understand how you would be charged import duty on a Canadian purchase. You might be charged sales tax and of course you would be paying postage/shipping.

Message 564 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If the seller used an Delivery Confirmed service rather than a Tracked service, which is much more expensive, the fact that Canada Post confirms the purchase of the postage is a pretty good indication that the parcel is on its way.

UPS is a courier, with no ties to Canada Post, except that in rural and isolated areas, they sub-contract their deliveries to the postal system.

I don't understand how you would be charged import duty on a Canadian purchase. You might be charged sales tax and of course you would be paying postage/shipping.

Stamps, this is a GSP listing.  UPS was used for shipping the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  It appears as though Canada Post is handling the shipment of the item once it clears customs.

Message 565 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

TO EXPENSIVE IT IS CHEAPER TO BUY HERE IN CANADA AT A FLEA MARKET AND JUST HAVE PRICE AND TAXES

Message 566 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

YES SAME AS ME AND IF MORE DO THE SAME THEY MAY (DON'T THINK SO ) GET RID OF THIS SCAM TO GRAB MONEY FROM CANADIANS
Message 567 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

YES THE STATES ARE HURTING REAL BAD SO THEY ARE RIPPING ALL OTHERS OF ON THIS GLOBAL SHIPPING **bleep**
Message 568 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

I DO LOOK TO SEE IF THE SELLER HAS THIS GLOBAL SHIPPINP THEN I LEAVE THEIR SITE AND WON'T BUY FROM THEM
Message 569 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

YES I CHECK THE SELLERS SITE IF THEY HAVE THIS SCAM WITH GLOBAL SHIPPING I WON'T BUY FROM THAT SELLER HE LOOSES I DON'T
Message 570 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

ANOTHER CASH GRAB FOR THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT THIS GLOBAL SHIPPING THAT E BAY HAS
Message 571 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

If you buy at the flea market, you will pay GST/PST/HST , if your seller is registered to collect and remit tax. (Some occasional sellers may not be registered and are not required to be if they gross less than $30K annually. It's like a garage sale,eh?)

Your seller may include the tax in the price, but he will be remitting that portion to the Government every month. He even gets paid for collecting and remitting the tax.

Message 572 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

To my fellow Canadians recently this new import charge has come up and its nothing but a farse! We keep getting the shaft for these charges, I have purchased many items from the US and I have no problem paying duty on an item that is warranted but to pay extra for items that there would be no duty is rediculous!
I always get nailed by UPS, sometimes by Fed Ex and almost never by USPS/Canada post. I will not be subjected to another bull charge. To my American friends if you want to keep doing good business with your neighbours to the north then get rid of that extra charge because its not fair to us to pay more for something that will not necessarily be charged duty to begin with.
Message 573 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

I don't understand it either. I've been selling and receiving small items for years which can be shipped as a letter for a couple of dollars. Now I'm charged 12 dollars shipping for an item as expensive as that + 7 dollars tax, >30% tax???? Really????

It's ridiculous!

It really get's all the fun out of buying and collecting via ebay. If the shipping is truly that and the parcel is a considerable size, ok, but for items that can be send as a letter and have hardly any value, I'm sorry Ebay but this absolutely ridiculous!

Message 574 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

Maybe the next step is to boycott these sellers who are using this import charge. You would think that you would want more people to bid and purchase items not to exclude them. I have now bypassed many sellers due to this charge.
Message 575 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

I am another Canadian who will completely avoid any sellers with G.S.P. (global shipping program).  In the long run I think this hurts Ebay.  Again, my question is why would any seller do that?  Do they not have a choice?  Buying used goods on ebay should not be subject to import duties tariffs.  Wake up American sellers, you are losing a lot of Canadian buyers.

Message 576 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

I agree, wake up American sellers because you are losing Canadian buyers in droves.

Message 577 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

I agree and I'm doing the same.  Canadians revolt.

Message 578 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

Community Member

E bay must have a deal with Pitney Bowes with this Global Shipping. When I question a seller in regards (and I have questions a few) to what we are being charged this for they all refer me back to the explanation of what is included in the global shipping provided by ebay.  And since Americans think we all live on a glacier and drive dog sleds, they also believe we have to pay what in included in the global shipping explanation.  E bay you are the losers as I amy still look but I am not paying these crazy fees!

Message 579 of 6,171
latest reply

Import charges

Item # 301024632715

Obviously ebay has a lack of knowledge on what is taxable and what is tax exempt by Canadian law. In my field there are three (3) types of precious metals that are TAX EXEMPT;

• fine silver(99.9% or finer)
  • fine gold(99.9% or finer) 
  • and platinum

Kalvin

What is ebay doing charging tax on a precious metal that tax exempt by Canadian Law?

Message 580 of 6,171
latest reply