Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program To Max-rawhide

@intergalacticwalrus wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

@intergalacticwalrus wrote:

What utter nonsense. If a US seller couldn't be bothered to ship internationally, they were probably not worth buying from to begin with. They just made it worse for all buyers, just for the sake of these few incompetent sellers. Brilliant.

Just out of curiosity, Walrus, what impelled you to purchase from a seller using the GSP?  A lot of what you have issues with, particularly the charges, you knew about prior to making the purchase, no?

What are you saying? That because I willingly bought into a GSP listing, I have waived my right to complain about it?

Are you a shill for Pitney Bowes? Also, have you read the last paragraph, where I *do* mention that I refuse to buy GSP listings ever again?

Not to mention that the part about knowing the charges prior to purchase is not even true, you only get an "estimate" prior to committing to buy so you really have no way to know exactly how much it will cost until after it's too late. This is another huge problem about GSP.

1.  No

2.  Also no.

3.  Yes, and my question wasn't about your refusal to purchase GSP listings ever again but why you did so in the first place.

4.  I haven't read a plethora of cases where the estimated import charges are radically different than what's actually charged.

Message 1481 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@arlene_v wrote:

We can all  live with paying legitimate sales tax and  duty .... but seeing duty slapped on items that are exempt under NAFTA  sticks in the craw. Doesn't look good either when Ebay and PBI stand by knowing that this is happening and do naught to remedy the situation.  

I guess it was too much to ask sellers to categorize their items properly and to provide the relevant information on country of origin ...  😉

A few days ago I posted a thread on the Ebay.com jewelry board asking sellers using the GSP to please include place of manufacture in their listings, citing examples of why this is important, and the ramifications of not doing so.

A seller who uses the GSP, and is a respected and long term Ebayer with many thousands of transactions,  replied. She thanked me for  the heads up ...and she had little idea of the impact of this info.

She said the program has been very badly rolled out .... with little info available to both buyers and sellers. This creates the situation we see today.

I was reading the International Trading Forum and a very astute poster there commented that it's quite bizarre just how little sellers using the GSP know about the GSP .... some even thinking they need to ship the items themselves when they are specifically signed up in a program to relieve them of that responsibility.

So, in this mess do we blame buyers, do we blame sellers or do we blame blame Ebay and PBI.

Two words: Cui bono?

Message 1482 of 6,171
latest reply

Sooty Kalvin-it's hard to say anything constructive about the Global Shipping Program. as a 500+ times almost exclusively as a buyer! I am now activity avoiding vendors who are using the GSP. The first time I used it, the item, an iPhone, was lost in the GSP staging. This cost me a month before a refund, and more time to buy another phone. And the charges are outrages. I have not problem with local taxes, but do I really want to double or triple the cost of many small items?

Just so you know, I am now looking off eBay to but the small items I used to buy from the USA on eBay, as they are often no longer competitive. I am also seeking vendors of any item I buy who are not using your GSP, thus, ending up buying from other countries like UK or the east, as they are now cheaper than US vendors on eBay. You really need to urgently address some of these problems that Pierre so accurately detailed! I like supporting N. American trade, but you've just thrown an axe into the works.
Message 1483 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

So, in this mess do we blame buyers, do we blame sellers or do we blame blame Ebay and PBI.

I believe PBI/eBay holds the cards as far as the GSP's execution, therefore I'd hold them responsible because sellers weren't able to perform informed consent. The only information sellers were sent to my knowledge was advertising material that explained how great the GSP is and how it'd make their life easier, etc, etc, etc.... with a side of updated legalease documentss.

The difficulty is that all pertinent information on the GSP is tucked away on eBay's site, none was emailed, none was displayed as a box on the front page to encourage sellers to understand how it effects their numbers, what they should and shouldn't use it on, etc. The only stuff displayed at the forefront is advertising on how the GSP is great and "here's why".

Now that the GSP is out of the bag, there's no way to alter it or create education because it's too large and too big to change due to bureaucratic mechanisms, most sellers have opted into using it treat it as just a checkbox on the site due to that lack of education on how it impacts them... People collectively aren't interested in learning more about something they feel they've already decided on, eBay knows this as it has a marketing department.

eBay only created the FAQs buried into their site (which most people don't read) to attempt to sate concerns about the programme to people like us but continues to forego putting education at the forefront instead of advertising.

eBay nor PBI isn't actually making any changes to the programme, just dressing it up in different ways. Until I see practical changes on the eBay website, practical changes like mass-mailings about the GSP and what it shouldn't be used on, etc, etc — to me these FAQs are mostly meaningless if it means we as buyers have to teach sellers.

Message 1484 of 6,171
latest reply

@kxeron wrote:

eBay nor PBI isn't actually making any changes to the programme, just dressing it up in different ways. Until I see practical changes on the eBay website, practical changes like mass-mailings about the GSP and what it shouldn't be used on, etc, etc — to me these FAQs are mostly meaningless if it means we as buyers have to teach sellers.

AF, myself, and several others have been teaching U.S. sellers how to sell internationally--or perhaps more accurately, develop a realistic approach to risk management--on the U.S. discussion boards for years now.  The GSP is simply another tool for international sales of which we have to instruct these sellers on its care, feeding or neglect.

Message 1485 of 6,171
latest reply

@kxeron wrote:

I believe PBI/eBay holds the cards as far as the GSP's execution, therefore I'd hold them responsible because sellers weren't able to perform informed consent. The only information sellers were sent to my knowledge was advertising material that explained how great the GSP is and how it'd make their life easier, etc, etc, etc.... with a side of updated legalease documentss.

The difficulty is that all pertinent information on the GSP is tucked away on eBay's site, none was emailed, none was displayed as a box on the front page to encourage sellers to understand how it effects their numbers, what they should and shouldn't use it on, etc. The only stuff displayed at the forefront is advertising on how the GSP is great and "here's why".

Now that the GSP is out of the bag, there's no way to alter it or create education because it's too large and too big to change due to bureaucratic mechanisms, most sellers have opted into using it treat it as just a checkbox on the site due to that lack of education on how it impacts them... People collectively aren't interested in learning more about something they feel they've already decided on, eBay knows this as it has a marketing department.

The other side of the coin is that there are a number of functions and services offered by or through eBay that rely on the seller performing due diligence and deciding whether or not it's worth their while, such as insurance and generating postage.  There are also functions and services that work with eBay that are not legally affiliated with eBay, such as Stamps and Auctiva.  I guess I fail to see why this particular service warrants a special brand of hand-holding that these services don't.  Collectively, we bemoan eBay becoming an intrusive nanny for sellers, yet for some reason we want it to be a sherpa when it comes to the GSP.

I say that the sellers who can't use the GSP properly and won't consider alternatives should fall on their own faces.  Darwin at work.  Seeing as the program seems to be largely used by sellers who wouldn't have shipped to Canada otherwise, I also fail to see why there are so many Canadian noses out of joint over the fact that it's even being used; those sellers are unlikely to have offered shipping to Canada under their own steam anyway.

Message 1486 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I say that the sellers who can't use the GSP properly and won't consider alternatives should fall on their own faces.  Darwin at work.  Seeing as the program seems to be largely used by sellers who wouldn't have shipped to Canada otherwise, I also fail to see why there are so many Canadian noses out of joint over the fact that it's even being used; those sellers are unlikely to have offered shipping to Canada under their own steam anyway.

That's so true!

I am not going to buy from these sellers so why is my nose so out of joint? Why do I feel the need to "help" those who have been told the facts and still say "too bad, it is more convenient to ship to KY, and I don't need international sales anyway, if buyers don't like it they can hit the back button" ...

Why bother to post to these threads only to get not a word in reply from Ebay ... nor any clarity on long overdue issues.

LIfe is truly too short to obsess about such things. We won't change much at all so why even bother?

Thanks for that insight, Marnotom!  

Message 1487 of 6,171
latest reply

"Why bother...?"

Once again, let me post the message from the country manager at eBay.ca ten days ago:

"The purpose of this thread is to collect information and insights around the Global Shipping program, and is being monitored by the Global Shipping team directly. My Toronto-based team and I have regular meetings with this team as well, and we refer often to the discussion threads.

Global shipping is great in theory because it opens up more inventory to Canada that previously only shipped to the USA. But there are lots of very valid buyer concerns and confusion around the implementation that we have today. We're listening, the Global shipping team is listening, and we're already working on buyer experience improvements that we hope will address some of those concerns."

It is pretty clear to me that eBay has no intention to answer every question or comment. That is not their purpose on this board.  eBay is looking at the long term - getting comments from users now and eventually, maybe, improve the program so it works or end it.

Message 1488 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Why bother...?"

Once again, let me post the message from the country manager at eBay.ca ten days ago:

"The purpose of this thread is to collect information and insights around the Global Shipping program, and is being monitored by the Global Shipping team directly. My Toronto-based team and I have regular meetings with this team as well, and we refer often to the discussion threads.

Global shipping is great in theory because it opens up more inventory to Canada that previously only shipped to the USA. But there are lots of very valid buyer concerns and confusion around the implementation that we have today. We're listening, the Global shipping team is listening, and we're already working on buyer experience improvements that we hope will address some of those concerns."

It is pretty clear to me that eBay has no intention to answer every question or comment. That is not their purpose on this board.  eBay is looking at the long term - getting comments from users now and eventually, maybe, improve the program so it works or end it.

"We're looking into it" is the last words of any bureaucracy into any problem of this sort. The GSP team, country manager, etc will be up to their eyeballs in miles thick of spools of red tape to see any changes happen to the programme due to the legalities, policy change (both of which will need the legal dept from potentially both eBay/PBI), website changes (need eBay's development team), involving the company boards to sign off on any changes, so on and so forth.

On the surface of this situation, it may seem as easy as changing website code, changing terms of service, adding more pages, adding lines on invoices, etc, etc. But deep down behind the scenes, programmes like the GSP are like a train without breaks, the only real way for a programme to be changed successfully is to add breaks before the programme really takes hold and starts rolling. This time has unfortunately passed for the GSP. Jobs have been created around it, contracts have been created around it, corporate culture has been created around it, so on and so forth — to change the GSP now is like rebuilding a train while it it moving at 100 MPH. It ends up being deemed too expensive and too risky. The only changes now are additions to the programme which add layers of abstraction that will complicate the programme and make it even harder for eBay employees and users alike to understand.

The easier thing is to simply tell users "We're looking into it" and provide a false sense of hope while making busywork. I still hope however that eBay eventually proves me wrong and shows that it can be atypical as far as corporations are concerned, demonstrating it can be a dynamic company with dynamic policy. I fear however that external influences upon it (namely PBI) may interfere given PBI is an old-style company with old-style ideals..

I have a feeling that PBI is the white elephant of this whole situation and will make it impossible for the GSP to change with pushing its own agenda onto eBay users and eBay itself by way of contracts to which nobody can turn down lest PBI pulls out of the arrangement and makes eBay have to lay off the GSP-related employees and spend money revising the website to remove the programme along with revising the contracts, etc. Ripe for blackmail indeed.

Message 1489 of 6,171
latest reply

UK currency is not the Euro. They never switched !

Message 1490 of 6,171
latest reply

UK currency is not the Euro. They never switched !

The limit for the UK is expressed in pounds, but it is still set by the EU in Euros. All EU non Euro countries have a similar limit in local currency. Whether it is rigourously collected or loosely ignored is a local matter, though.

The GSP shippers cannot consider local practices, they have to apply the letter of the law.

Message 1491 of 6,171
latest reply

With all the negative feedback I have heard/read on the GSP program, it’s amazing and sad that eBay is not addressing any of these concerns. I think it’s poor business strategy to take advantage of such a large customer demographic just to have a business relationship with pitney-bowes ($$$$$$$).

In the meantime until this changes I will be:

a)      Messaging every seller I see with this setting turned on, and asking them to turn it off or I won’t buy their item

b)      If I do purchase an item that was shipped through the GSP, will be leaving one star for the seller in regards to shipping price, and also leaving a positive feedback, but with a negative comment regarding the way the item (and cost) was shipped.

Message 1492 of 6,171
latest reply

i also just received my first purchase through the GSP and what a pain. Not only did it cost me twice as much as it should have to have this shipped to Toronto, but when before i would just go to the Canada Post down the street and hand them my package slip, I had to make sure i was there for the courier to arrive between the oh ever so convenient times of "between 9-5". So then i had to get a shipment re-direct to a different address where i knew someone was going to be. all for two 12" records! oh yeah they charged me like $20 duty tax on this and i've purchased hundreds of records off ebay and have never been charged duty in my life.

what a bummer.

Message 1493 of 6,171
latest reply

@xendlessfightx wrote:

With all the negative feedback I have heard/read on the GSP program, it’s amazing and sad that eBay is not addressing any of these concerns. I think it’s poor business strategy to take advantage of such a large customer demographic just to have a business relationship with pitney-bowes ($$$$$$$).

In the meantime until this changes I will be:

a)      Messaging every seller I see with this setting turned on, and asking them to turn it off or I won’t buy their item

b)      If I do purchase an item that was shipped through the GSP, will be leaving one star for the seller in regards to shipping price, and also leaving a positive feedback, but with a negative comment regarding the way the item (and cost) was shipped.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very confusing post ... in line A says if a seller wont turn off GSP , i wont buy their item..

B---  if i do purchase an item through GSP ..

and in another post 3 mins later you get an item shipped to you using GSP...

you should really try and make up your mind which way you want to go....

Message 1494 of 6,171
latest reply

I am TOTALLY dissatisfy with this Global shipping program.

simple example: a banknote  on ebay cost  1dollar  but the shipping fees are 16.00$$$

whoever created that global shipping program is not thinking straight!

I will never buy from an USA seller if I see these ridiculous shipping fees. and you know what nether will any person with a logical set of mind.

Message 1495 of 6,171
latest reply

rick31797: i hear you; but sometimes, just sometimes, there is that item that i cannot find anywhere else, and MUST have it (such as a one-of-a-kind item). In that case, i will suck it up and pay the GSP, but the sellers feedback is gonna pay consequence to it. maybe then eBay will start listening to peoples concerns when their feedback is starting to show negative comments around the way their item was shipped.

Message 1496 of 6,171
latest reply

RE: $1 item with $16 shipping.

Boy, there's a seller who is behind the times.

There used to be a lot of sellers who moved the actual cost of the item to the shipping because until a couple of years ago, eBay charged its fees only on the selling price.

Since eBay caught on to this sneaky practice, fees are charged on both selling price and shipping cost.

Which is cheaper a $1 item with $16 shipping or a $16 item with $1 shipping?

Since there would be no duty on a $1 item nor any sales tax, and since the GPS service fee is generally about $4-5, what service was the seller using ? Sixteen bucks suggests Global Priority., for an item that could ship letterrate.

Could you give the listing number so we can understand the whole story?

Message 1497 of 6,171
latest reply

but the sellers feedback is gonna pay consequence to it. maybe then eBay will start listening to peoples concerns when their feedback is starting to show negative comments around the way their item was shipped.

Bad FB will be removed, as will bad DSR stars. It is one of the 'benefits' of the GSP, and is designed to comfort sellers. See the seller terms and conditions.

Simply shopping elsewhere, contacting the seller or waiting till the same item appears elsewhere seem more effective solutions.

Message 1498 of 6,171
latest reply

Whenever I have checked the threshold of an EU country (other than the UK) the threshold has been 22 Euros. But according to the following information that number can vary.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/buying_online/buying_goods/within_non_eu_en.htm

VAT is not due when the total value of all goods in a consignment (value not inclusive of custom duties or transport costs) is less than a threshold. The threshold may vary from 10 euros to 22 euros, depending on the EU country.

Message 1499 of 6,171
latest reply

Bad FB will be removed, as will bad DSR stars. It is one of the 'benefits' of the GSP, and is designed to comfort sellers. See the seller terms and conditions.

Simply shopping elsewhere, contacting the seller or waiting till the same item appears elsewhere seem more effective solutions.

If I am not satisifed due to shipping regarding the price and how long it takes, then i have EVERY right to complain about this. I have made many comments due to unsatisfied shipping over the last 10 years and never had a problem with leaving such feedback. thanks for your input tho.

Message 1500 of 6,171
latest reply