Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

@arlene_v wrote:
(snip)

What are these powersellers selling?

I buy vintage costume jewelry and many sellers are using the GSP for that, totally wrong fit IMO  ...I just can't imagine a brooch worth $20 and light as a feather selling via the GSP to any sane buyers.

The sellers have been duped into participating with the programme through eBay's shiny "this is good for you" marketing. Where in all of the GSP emails, etc the programme is declared a gift from a diety without flaw  that will  shield them from incovneniences, shield them from going over the 45 day limit, etc, etc.

eBay/PBI has created an atmosphere where any actual information on how the GSP works is hidden away in the T&C's or can only be calculated based on speculation alone.

eBay hasn't educated sellers, only advertised to them.

But I am beginning to realize that there is quite a bit of insanity about. Esp. on Ebay.  Seems a lot of buyers can't see costs that stare them right in the face, nor seem to see the screen that prompts them to accept these costs as part of the final purchase ...most odd. 

While the costs may in fact be staring them in the face, the fact of the matter remains the words "Import Charges" and the like are in large meaningless to many consumers while the words "Tax" and "Duty" would raise more attention as they have historical meaning in trade and sales. Neither eBay nor PBI are interested in providing a breakdown as it means they can be audited more by taxation authorities, so they operate the programme more like an insurance scheme that you pay a lumpsum in hopes it pays for the tax and duty, and they keep any overages because the T&C's permit them to.

On top of this, there are sometimes one-of a kind items that a consumer may really want but is under the GSP and is unaware they can contact the seller for direct shipping/billing because of how railroaded the GSP really is.

This is what is causing the outrage about the GSP, the fact it's a single-sided process (with illusionary advertising to sellers that it will help them) that screws both the buyers and sellers. Sellers in that it may cause their sales to "go away" inexplicably, and Buyers in that it isn't an option like an alternate shipping service where multiple kinds of shipping are available along with lack of transparency.

The usage of weasel-words like "Import Charges" are exactly like a bad telecom with "Network Access Charge" where they can invent terms and charge against those terms without consumer protection, where since those terms are meaningless outside of the context of the organization there is no legal limits on when it becomes usury.

Message 2041 of 6,171
latest reply

difauto
Community Member

Every time I've bought on ebay and been shipped by ebay global takes longer and is always wrong. This time it says its been transfer to a company, which when I contacted they don't have it . Also tracking number does work.

Message 2042 of 6,171
latest reply

Educate your sellers

send every seller an email making him or her aware what this does to him/her and you

1. fewer or no bids from Canadians
  2. way higher cost discourages purchases
  3. Incredible intrusion in your privacy by opening and repackaging items,
  4. who is guaranteeing integrity of items with complexer nature, parts lost etc trough the re-packager 
  5. lack of  accountability and documentation through third party intrusion
  6. a rigid corporate system who treats you like idiots with only one option  take it or leave (they thrive on you taking it)
  7. all kind of additional problems which had been more or less solved in the normal EBay procedures
  8. This whole thing is btw in line what happens to rest of our society; growing an over-sized "Nanny"-State whereby you are not trustee, shareholder or simply a natural person belonging but are seen and treated as "Human Resource" or dispensable asset to squeeze the living daylight out of you.
  9. Corporations btw enjoy a much higher legal standing than you and me; you felt that, but it must be reckoned with.

Wake up there is nothing wrong doing business and taking some profit; but where is the counter balance to maintain some semblance of fairness?

It is you!

tell and stop buying....

Message 2043 of 6,171
latest reply

Chimera - thanks for that info ... here is a link to what you are referring to ...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-Global-Shipping-Team-...

I must admit I would definitely hit the calculate button to get the updated amount ....and only then confirm my bid. 

BUT  ...not everyone interprets this sort of thing in the same way ....  and what might be obvious to one person is not to another, so if folks are complaining about his, Ebay needs to work on spelling it out much more clearly. 

And it is interesting that the confirm button is in very large letters ... but the calculate button is so much smaller and less obvious. 

Message 2044 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi Kxeron!

You are preaching to the choir when it comes to me .. I think I have made it more that clear that I loathe the GSP.

But let us face facts .... buyers also need to assume at least some responsibility here... the internet is a scary place and vigilance is needed, so one has to make sure that you know what you are getting into when you buy online. I am not suggesting that every buyer has to read the T&C of the GSP, but it doesn't take a genius to look at shipping costs and to see import charges and to hit the back button....

I just can't understand why folks buy from GSP sellers ... I bought one item to see how the program works and will never do so again.

The only way to kill this program is not to use it. One buyer at a time. And attack it at its weak spots .. you have posted some very good posts in this regard ...many thanks.

Message 2045 of 6,171
latest reply

Longer than what? I find shipments from the US normally take about 20 days to here in Ottawa.

Tracking benefits the seller not the buyer. It is useful if there is an Item Not Received claim against the seller by proving that the item has in fact been delivered. Same with insurance, it only benefits the seller.

If you have received any information about shipping, sit back and do not worry until Day 40 after purchase. At that point, start an Item Not Received claim. If the item has not arrived you will get your entire payment back.

This is mail order. It takes time.

Message 2046 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

Hi Kxeron!

You are preaching to the choir when it comes to me .. I think I have made it more that clear that I loathe the GSP.

Indeed you have, I just tend to prefer a model of conversation where I speak to everyone, not just the people on the other side of the table, including adding points, discussing points further, etc.

But let us face facts .... buyers also need to assume at least some responsibility here... the internet is a scary place and vigilance is needed, so one has to make sure that you know what you are getting into when you buy online. I am not suggesting that every buyer has to read the T&C of the GSP, but it doesn't take a genius to look at shipping costs and to see import charges and to hit the back button....

I agree, however consider that eBay and PBI are both seen as part of the leadership in their industries (eBay in online commerce and PBI in logistics and package/mail processing), they have a matter of trust of the public as a reputable name. Given how business operates off of trust (you don't go into a store you think deals in stolen goods for instance, but most people will go into a Wal-Mart because they trust regardless of who works there)

eBay and PBI also have this public trust, to which they're currently violating whether people know it or not in refusing to provide accountability about the programme beyond endless "We'll check into this".

The only way to kill this program is not to use it. One buyer at a time. And attack it at its weak spots .. you have posted some very good posts in this regard ...many thanks.

I don't do this for thanks or praise (but thank you for the sentiments) nor for my own sake as I'm able to work around the programme, but rather I hope to get people thinking, thinking about more than just the programme at the surface, to evaluate the T&C's, to investigate how opaque or unclear the programme is in its administration, to investigate aspects of differences in commercial culture. I wager in some points that I may be in fact incorrect, which is par for the course in speculation that we are all on this forum forced to do since eBay and PBI can both change how the programme works at any time and operate the programme with minimal information available about the actual internal processes.
Message 2047 of 6,171
latest reply

I hate double-posting, but this forum software corrupted point 2 of my previous post and edit time isn't sufficient:

We on this forum are currently a minority compared to the real number of consumers who use the eBay website, most people who use eBay likely do not know the forums even exist, nevermind that there's a conflict growing about the GSP.

Thus I think at this time it is our responsibility to progressively move toward other methods of educating consumers and educating our government and such about how the programme is a violation of trust given eBay and PBI both have had ample time to formulate a formal response to correct the programme beyond "We're looking into it" but clearly they have not committed sufficient resources into this or may be uninterested in correcting this for a non-American market.

Therefore, it is time for us as Canadians and other counterparts who are in opposition to the programme to investigate alternatives, including using non-eBay media to educate people about how this programme isn't healthy for anyone but eBay and PBI, looking to get this on the news, looking to get this issue looked at by consumer rights groups, etc.

Message 2048 of 6,171
latest reply

THE EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING IS A RIPOFF MONEY GRAB BY EBAY.
Message 2049 of 6,171
latest reply

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

kxeron wrote:

Therefore, it is time for us as Canadians and other counterparts who are in opposition to the programme to investigate alternatives, including using non-eBay media to educate people about how this programme isn't healthy for anyone but eBay and PBI, looking to get this on the news, looking to get this issue looked at by consumer rights groups, etc.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree, if enough individuals send an e-mail to something like W5 or Marketplace, then instead of it taking months before the mainstream media gets around to investigating this it might be weeks and if it involves any sort of tax money being collected without proper accountability and transparency then the people at CRA will be involved as well. Either way as soon as eBay or PBI gets wind of it, that might force them to make the proper changes to fix the problem in an attempt to minimize the bad press. 

Message 2050 of 6,171
latest reply

I avoid sellers using the Global Shipping Program because the prices charged for shipping are ridiculously high. If you are a seller don't use the global shipping program. It is a scam cooked up by eBay to line their pockets. Remember they charge a % on the total cost of the sale including shipping. The higher the shipping cost, the higher the cut eBay takes from each sale.

Message 2051 of 6,171
latest reply

FWIW, I just fired off an email to W5 a few minutes ago. I tried CBC a while back but got no reply, and also emailed my MP, but most disappointingly never heard back from him either. 

Yes, the media spotlight is always good to get suits sweating. Here's hoping. 

Message 2052 of 6,171
latest reply

Do you really want to be getting so vocal about this eBay issue?

I have found that the government collects taxes on about 5% of all eligible items regardless of item cost. 

The more you bring that to the attention of the media, the more likely there will be a push to collect on all items over $20.

That won't make the GSP any more or less abrasive because actual GSP shipping costs will still be too high, but it could mean that buying from outside of Canada will become more expensive as they could just opt to tax all items over $20.

IMO best to just deal with it internally and not upset the balance.  

Be careful about who you contact.

Someone may actually listen.

Message 2053 of 6,171
latest reply

The higher the shipping cost, the higher the cut eBay takes from each sale.

Not true with US international shipping, the FVF on shipping is calculated on the lowest domestic rate; for a GSP item the FVF on shipping is only on the shipping to the Kentucky hub.

Therefore this objection is invalid.

It is a scam cooked up by eBay to line their pockets.

It could equally be said that any business is a scam cooked up to line the owner's pockets.

It would be equally nonsensical.

It is something where you get what you pay for after being told the cost  in advance, like any business.

It is true that the inappropriate use by sellers of lightweight, low value objects makes the end cost unacceptable, but that's another matter.

Message 2054 of 6,171
latest reply

I*m-still-here wrote:

Do you really want to be getting so vocal about this eBay issue?

I have found that the government collects taxes on about 5% of all eligible items regardless of item cost. 

The more you bring that to the attention of the media, the more likely there will be a push to collect on all items over $20.

That won't make the GSP any more or less abrasive because actual GSP shipping costs will still be too high, but it could mean that buying from outside of Canada will become more expensive as they could just opt to tax all items over $20.

IMO best to just deal with it internally and not upset the balance.   

Be careful about who you contact.

Someone may actually listen.

I cannot believe with all the complaining and arguing with others you have done about the GSP you are now afraid that the media might find out. After over 103 pages and over 2055 posts this issue is not going to be handled internally and even a blind person can see that. Some of us have the courage of our convictions and know that eBay isn't going to change this but maybe an outside source will. So arlene_V just did the same thing I did earlier because this GSP needs to be fixed and raising awareness is the right thing to do as it is obvious that eBay does not care what we think especially if it remains internally as you want besides no one is twisting anyone's arm to do it.

Message 2055 of 6,171
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

OK.  So what's so earth-shatteringly terrible about paying taxes due on a postal import that would be payable on a similar item purchased within Canada?

Message 2056 of 6,171
latest reply

Just sayin'.....................

Message 2057 of 6,171
latest reply

Be Careful What You Wish For!

Message 2058 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@i*m-still-here wrote:

OK.  So what's so earth-shatteringly terrible about paying taxes due on a postal import that would be payable on a similar item purchased within Canada?

when it comes to living in Canada and paying taxes we don't get many breaks, so no, i don't feel guilty, buying an item for 50.00 from the USA and not paying any tax, maybe you do.

Message 2059 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

@i*m-still-here wrote:

when it comes to living in Canada and paying taxes we don't get many breaks, so no, i don't feel guilty, buying an item for 50.00 from the USA and not paying any tax, maybe you do.

Yes, and note how marmo jumps from my post pointing put that media attention might have side effects to shouting out his point of view on paying taxes?

Looking for a pat on the head are we?

Message 2060 of 6,171
latest reply