Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

marnotom! wrote:

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your post, then, as I thought you were referring to the "history" portion of the Purolator website, not the "facts" portion.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

partially correct the history stated nothing but the other dropdowns had a wealth of information especially the board of directors. I wonder what the taxpayers would say to the CEO of Canada Post drawing 2 CEO salaries with bonuses as Purolator is a separate entity from CP. 

Message 2361 of 6,171
latest reply

@walker0017 wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your post, then, as I thought you were referring to the "history" portion of the Purolator website, not the "facts" portion.

partially correct the history stated nothing but the other dropdowns had a wealth of information especially the board of directors. I wonder what the taxpayers would say to the CEO of Canada Post drawing 2 CEO salaries with bonuses as Purolator is a separate entity from CP. 

Seeing as Canada Post doesn't receive taxpayer funding, I don't think citizens could object as ratepayers.  They may figure that the CEO's pay cut into the dividend that Canada Post historically paid to the government in its profitable years, though.

Message 2362 of 6,171
latest reply

What SHOULD interest business members on eBay is that the CEO of Canada Post is closely tied to Pitney Bowes as a former accounting executive with them. Whether or not the Pitney Bowes powered GSP program is more an issue for taxpayers if funds are not fully diverted to the jurisdictions that they are theoretically keep collected for, but you do have to wonder about the close link between the different hats Chopra has worn in the past few years and where things are going when Pitney Bowes has more clout than Canada Post or United States Postal Service with eBay transactions internationally.

Re:

walker0017 wrote:

marnotom! wrote:

Seeing as Canada Post doesn't receive taxpayer funding, I don't think citizens could object as ratepayers.  They may figure that the CEO's pay cut into the dividend that Canada Post historically paid to the government in its profitable years, though.

Message 2363 of 6,171
latest reply

Scam! I want ebay to refund my money. Here is my conversation with the seller. He agreed to $15 for shipping and instead, I got charged $29 by ebay.  Before I bid on the item, the shipping was shown as $22 (and no import charges). So I agreed, bought the item and then was told it is $29 not $22! I refused to buy and the seller said told me to pay full cost and he will give me a refund. Then we find out he NEVER got the money for shipping but instead it went to some ripoff shipping company! So I got no refund of $15 that seller has agreed to. i have this in writing. I will never buy anything again from ebay unless you step up to the plate and refund me the portion of the shipping. The $19 jacket I bought would hardly incur any import charges (small packets are rarely open). Instead ebay and pitney bowes immediately charged me outrageous $10 in duty - $29 in total (instead of $22 as was shown originally).

So these two blind men got into the cockpit of an aircraft, and started pushing buttons and pulling levers till the thing started moving. Then, unsuprizingly, it crashed.

The combination of sellers and buyers who have no idea what they are doing is the inevitable consequence of the way what amounts to a relatively complicated and sophisticated scheme has been introduced with totally inadequate education of buyers and sellers who can be expected to cover the full range of human ability, including the  lower reaches.

Message 2364 of 6,171
latest reply

arlene_v
Community Member

According to this article, Donohue has indicated that  the GSP will be expanding beyond the US.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m03/i05/s01

"Last month, eBay CEO John Donahoe told Wall Street analysts the company would be expanding the GSP beyond the U.S."

Any details on this? 

Message 2365 of 6,171
latest reply

So doesn't that put it all into perspective?

Buyers don't love the program one little bit, yet it continues to expand.

There was one heading a long time ago that sticks in my mind:  "GSP Ruins the eBay Experience," and one just has to follow these threads to see that pretty much nails it for buyers.

All of these analyses about the GSP  are pointless.

What really shakes things up is the fact that no one cares if buyers "loathe" the program or not.

It continues to expand unabated.

Message 2366 of 6,171
latest reply

LOL, I know, that was my exact reaction. Just shaking my head.

Check out these listings I was musing over ..being a fan of turquoise jewelry. 

Key in an Ontario postal code and check out the  "import charges". Makes no sense, does it? But why does it have to ..those are just "import charges" after all, and logic has to therefore be suspended. Crazy. 

.As these two  listings show, the GSP is really offering top notch, professional service to sellers and buyers!

Today the US, tomorrow, the world! 

Message 2367 of 6,171
latest reply

SO many problems with the program.

I confess that I've bought more since the GSP surfaced than ever before.

Occasionally a seller refuses my request to ship the normal way but they are very few.

The sellers who refuse me are clearly difficult sellers to be avoided.

My purchases are investments and I take the tine to deal with the GSP.

That process is not for the average buyer.

I have never used a service which forwards packages before because they make me nervous as the buyer really has no protection.

However, wouldn't it be nice if eBay were to implement a really good GSP?

Clearly, that could not include pre-collecting taxes.

Although it was all very predictable for those of us who buy internationally................. for the rest:  See how that's working out?

Clearly it's not and no amount of tweaking can fix it.

Message 2368 of 6,171
latest reply

arlene_v
Community Member

Someone needs to educate sellers in the use of "country of origin" versus "country of manufacture" in the item specifics. 

The consequence of this confusion has a rather  "unfortunate impact" on what Canadians see in import charges  .... not to mention it makes the GSP look like amateur hour.

Yes, buyers and sellers have to do their their "due diligence" ..but what about eBay and PB?

Are they doing their "due diligence" in all this? They even use these terms interchangeably in their guidance provided to sellers using the program.

Completely unprofessional. 

Message 2369 of 6,171
latest reply

However, wouldn't it be nice if eBay were to implement a really good GSP?

Clearly, that could not include pre-collecting taxes.

What would a "good gsp" be and what would be the purpose? Anytime you get a 3rd party in there, the costs are going to be higher.

Message 2370 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't know how a good GSP would work, or even if it could work.

I do know that anything is better than the P-B way.

Three things which should change:

1) The program has to be buyer initiated.

2) The program cannot pre collect taxes.

3) The buyer should have a choice of shipping methods from the hub to the destination.

There are a number of companies which do this already.

Perhaps using the system used by the existing forwarders and building in buyer protection and the extent of that depending on the shipping method the buyer chooses.

These companies offer their services for little money.

Look at what Chit Chat is able to do for just pennies!!!!

Message 2371 of 6,171
latest reply

A really good GSP would be no more than including all risks transit insurance paid for out of ebay FVF.

If commercial insurers can offer this for 1% of value insured, it would not be expensive.

For buyers, the extra costs would be insignificant, possibly cheaper as sellers would not be using overpriced premium postage methods to avoid the dreaded 'false INR claim'.

And buyers would be still benefiting from the random nature of import tax charges.

Message 2372 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree with everything stated by clameire.

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?

Nothing has worked.

This GSP is a THEFT

more than 30% taxes on transactions that have NO taxes in my country (France) is ILLEGAL

• Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?

I don't know for canadian buyers but for FRENCH buyers : KNOW THE RULES/LAWS and be sure not to collect where there is nothing to collect.

And please STOP reconditioning packages ! We are buying COLLECTIBLES they are ver FRAGILE.

Don't break them.

Let the sellers package themselves. They are doing it WITH CARE !

• What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?

Everything.

This program is nonsence

I will NEVER EVER BUY AGAIN within this program

• How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Items listed outside of this program are NOT EASY ENOUGH to find

And items inside the program are NOT EASY ENOUGH TO EXCLUDE.

Message 2373 of 6,171
latest reply

Pitney Bowes runs the Global Shipping which is charging fees for used items going to Canada when there is clearing no duty and taxes on them at the border. I have told many sellers and they no longer use this program.
Message 2374 of 6,171
latest reply

Sorry, you are wrong. There is duty on almost any import over $20 (some items like gold and coins are not dutiable) and there is indeed sales tax on used items. Have you never bought a used car?

Message 2375 of 6,171
latest reply

sorry, YOU are wrong ! I am Canadian and have been buying on ebay for over 8 years.

I buy everything from batteries to hand vacuums to chandeliers and I rarely pay duty on anything.

Electronics are exempt at any price.

This rip off global shipping adds import charges to everything, no matter what the price !!

it is just a cash cow for them

I refuse to buy from sellers who use this program unless they will mail the item the good old

USPS way. 

Message 2376 of 6,171
latest reply

yes, I hate it
Message 2377 of 6,171
latest reply

also,  some duty I have been charged, I had refunded because they do not charge tax on used items

buying a used car is totally different than buying a used girls dress.

the car has to be registered and insured and that is when you pay the tax

another government rip off !!

Message 2378 of 6,171
latest reply

Roxy, yer wrong.

You are mixing metaphors or duty, taxes, import charges, etc. I have never paid aNn "import charge" in my life as, no such definition exists. What you are being charged are PST and GST, NOT duty.

You rarely paid, before, because Canada Revenue chose not to charge you. You were avoiding taxes by their grace.
Photobucket
Message 2379 of 6,171
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

You rarely paid, before, because Canada Revenue chose not to charge you. You were avoiding taxes by their grace.

I am starting to think there is a line to be crossed. When I buy things under $150 - there is never any duty or extra fees. Anything over that and I have to pay.

Go figure.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2380 of 6,171
latest reply