Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

@elvis4meforever wrote:

Global shipping Program, A Total Joke at Best, and the Joke seems to be on Canadians buying through Seller who have opted to use the program, My Experience with this is a bidding and winning a Auction,  a Bid of  $140 turns into $207 dollars by the time Global shipping and Pay Pal take Their Cut,  and on top of that once the Item is at the Canadian Border its goes Via Canada Post.

Yes, it is a joke that I don't get.  Why are Canadians buying from GSP sellers if the deal is so bad?

But I don't get how PayPal's cut has anything to do with the shipping and import charges on a GSP shipment.

@elvis4meforever wrote:

So Ebay where is the Benefit ?,

It's largely a tool to encourage sellers who wouldn't ship internationally under their own steam.  I still feel it's likely that the majority of listings using the Global Shipping Program wouldn't have shipping to Canada offered without it.  So the benefit to buyers is a larger pool of available items.  It just comes at a significant cost when the program is used inappropriately.

@elvis4meforever wrote:

I Know I will Never Participate in an Auction or Purchase anything again on Ebay with a  Seller using The Global shipping program.

A Total RIP OFF to Canadians

I first thought that as well, and then I started doing more searches for a variety of items.  I got a good deal on a Smartphone from a seller using the GSP properly.  There are deals to be had even with the GSP, but you have to be prepared to take the time and do the legwork to locate them, as well as put up with some of the quirks of the program.

Message 2661 of 6,171
latest reply

EBay doesn't offer any shipping to buyers. Sellers choose the shipping method.

The Global Shipping Program was offered to US sellers to encourage them to sell internationally, because US sales were flatlining.

EBay does not encourage US sellers to use the GSP for items valued under $50 US.(Keep in mind that Canadian duty and taxes kick in at $20 CDN currently about $18 USD)

The program was not well explained and was poorly introduced. As a result thousands of sellers are using it who really should be using USPS First Class International. But they do not know that FCI has recently started including Delivery Confirmation in the price.

Global Priority Shipping is a program of eBay and is run by Pitney Bowes. PB seems to get about $4-$5 for each dutiable or taxable shipment they handle.

The rest of the fee is remitted to the Canadian Government.

It is likely that eBay gets part of that service fee, but no one knows the details of the contract.

The basic problem is that the point at which shipped imports start to attract duty (and more often sales tax) is only $20. Compare that to the $200 cross-border shoppers can haul home. CBSA and Canada Post have sensibly decided that it makes no sense to pay out (in wages and overhead) more than they can collect in duty and tax on cheap imports. Private companies have no such luxury. They must obey the law.

For remediation of this write:

The Honourable Stephen Harper.

Prime Minister

House of Commons

OTTAWA ON K1A 0A6

Message 2662 of 6,171
latest reply

123redh
Community Member
as a ebay shopper i cant stand the global shipping program. many sellers have chosen this option and they shouldnt be faulted when ebay leads them to do this and sellers cant even see what costs show in the listing or they might think twice about using it. there are occasions where its cheaper, such as an absurdly heavy item of low value. otherwise it has lowered my willingness to buy on ebay and greatly increased the cost to buy, especially that unneccesay tax at the border. this does tie in with Paypal, in particular Paypal Protection. and with low value items there are too many sellers and buyers being cowed into Priority shipping when it isnt really neccesary. Priority shipping and GSP are largely neccesary for Protection and that drives up the cost well above what it would cost to actually insure a shipment. since we are talking the cost of shipment lets also note ebay's policy to post inflated shipping rates. as a buyer and seller it would be nice if ebay and paypal would just say what the true cost of shipping really is and stop playing games.
Message 2663 of 6,171
latest reply

However, the seller is now in the GSP. Shipping is $12.56, import fee 8. 49 (even though the item is up for auction at $13.95. I presume that's based on the BIN price of US $18.95.

I would agree. Until the auction ends, the GSP shows at the highest possible price. And remember that $18.95 USD is more than the $20CDN maximum for duty(and tax) free importation.

If bidding goes up to $25.00, for example, the import fee would also rise.

If I won it for less than $18 what would the charge be? Would I even know before confirming my bid??) Too much uncertainty, so of course I won't bid. 

For less than $18 USD? Since that's less than $20CDN there would be no import fees, even if shipping is handled by the GSP/Pitney Bowes.

In any case, your best bet is to work out the total cost that you are willing to pay. At some point we all hit the ceiling for our hobbies. I keep looking at Kate Spade purses, but I have to remind myself that I just can't afford them, GSP or no GSP. I''m a big girl. I can take the disappointment.

Message 2664 of 6,171
latest reply

We are talking kitchen knives, here; not big cleavers or carving knives, either.  And the "hassles" the vendor referred to were complaints the mail to Canada was too slow, and no tracking.

I found much the same problem of scarcity of offerings when I searched DVDs of seasons of various Star Trek series. Very few not in the GSP, but it was only with the knife that I could cite personal experience of a vendor who'd switched over.

Message 2665 of 6,171
latest reply

Quoting femmefan1946,

"Since that's less than $20CDN there would be no import fees, even if shipping is handled by the GSP/Pitney Bowes."

I seem to have observed that when there's no import fee the shipping somehow jumps, but I'm chary of bidding just to find out.

"At some point we all hit the ceiling for our hobbies. I keep looking at Kate Spade purses, but I have to remind myself that I just can't afford them, GSP or no GSP. I''m a big girl. I can take the disappointment."

What a snarky comment! I know cooking is a hobby for some, but in my case I was looking for a deal on an everyday kitchen implement I think is well designed but is hard to find in Canada. I use it daily and wanted to buy one for my daughter who's setting up her household, which I assure you holds no Kate Spade purses either!

I  have been decrying the GSP because it makes many things Canadians want to buy from American eBay sellers prohibitively expensive. Why should we let that go buy without protest, whether the items are for fun or work?

Message 2666 of 6,171
latest reply

I seem to have observed that when there's no import fee the shipping somehow jumps, but I'm chary of bidding just to find out.

You are likely right. If the auction buy it now price is more than C$20,there is a 'handling' fee of approximately $3-$5 in with the import charges.When the auction ends if there are no taxes or duty are due, I would guess that fee would be tacked onto the shipping charge. 

But if there is no buy it now price with an auction and the starting price is below C$20, I think, but am not sure, that the fee would already be added in with the shipping charge.

Message 2667 of 6,171
latest reply

@dasia143 wrote:

We are talking kitchen knives, here; not big cleavers or carving knives, either.  And the "hassles" the vendor referred to were complaints the mail to Canada was too slow, and no tracking.

And the GSP doesn't necessarily resolve either of those issues, anyway.  But the seller will likely have to find that out for themselves.  That is, if there's anyone who's willing to purchase from them.

You might want to advise this seller that First Class International is trackable to Canada now provided the postage is purchased online.  Point them to this page:

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-package-international-service.htm

As far as shipments being too slow are concerned, I think even U.S. sellers sometimes have unrealistic expectations about how long it can take items to get through customs and across the Great Canadian Tundra afterwards.  Since we're on the same continent, it should take the same amount of time for a shipment to reach a Canadian destination as it would a U.S. one, right?

@dasia143 wrote:

I found much the same problem of scarcity of offerings when I searched DVDs of seasons of various Star Trek series. Very few not in the GSP, but it was only with the knife that I could cite personal experience of a vendor who'd switched over.

Keep in mind that you're at the mercy of eBay's search engine.  Who knows how many results it may be "accidentally" dropping on you?

Message 2668 of 6,171
latest reply

Quoting femmefan1946 (sorry, got called away from the computer before I could edit my other post to add this):

"The basic problem is that the point at which shipped imports start to attract duty (and more often sales tax) is only $20. Compare that to the $200 cross-border shoppers can haul home. ..

For remediation of this write:

The Honourable Stephen Harper...":

Good idea, it would help if the limit were raised.

However, it doesn't address the GSP's other failings:

1) can't combine shipping

2) possibility of damage to fragile items due to poor repacking in Kentucky, with ensuing hassle of dealing with PB

3) use of CanPar, who make you pick up your item at their depot within 5 days if you're not home when they deliver, according to reports. Their depot is an hour's drive from my home

Message 2669 of 6,171
latest reply

Quoting marnotom!:

"Keep in mind that you're at the mercy of eBay's search engine.  Who knows how many results it may be "accidentally" dropping on you?"

--Oh? Do they do that? You learn something every day!

Good to hear about the tracking, thanks. If my efforts to find the knife elsewhere fail, I may write him again and let him know about that. Thank you.

Message 2670 of 6,171
latest reply

Ebays global shipping is nothing but a scam to get extra cash at shipping. Why would I pay the import fees up front when 9/10 times I get charged NOTHING at delivery anyway?

Message 2671 of 6,171
latest reply

All those sellers you're referring to are all American sellers. I highly DOUBT they'd be on the Canadian ebay Message Boards. Try going to ebay.com and telling them

Message 2672 of 6,171
latest reply

@dasia143 wrote:

Quoting marnotom!:

"Keep in mind that you're at the mercy of eBay's search engine.  Who knows how many results it may be "accidentally" dropping on you?"

--Oh? Do they do that? You learn something every day!

I never said it did that.  I'm just suggesting to you that we really don't know how representative our search results are of what's available on eBay at any given time.

Message 2673 of 6,171
latest reply

Ok, here is my first buy tonight from a seller with the GSP in place..

Winning bid PLUS shipping was $64.88 to seller. On my Paypal invoice was a SEPERATE fee for shipping and

to "clear it thru customs" of $22.09.  Total amount $86.97.

Sooooo, i contact the seller after paying and ask him if he is aware of this. He has replied asking what

the total bill was for! He is not aware of all this!

So he will be shipping the item directly to me... why and how can Piney Bowes take this extra $22.09 for

doing absolutely nothing!  Pure triple XXX scam here folks.

I am awaiting other replies from the seller, as he is just realizing that PB is taking money straight out of his pocket.

A buyer wants an item and his ready to pay xx amount for it, it doesn't matter what the shipping costs are, it

is the total amount one is willing to pay. Tonight, i knew i was not going to pay more than xx amount. So were

the other bidders. If PB is taking a 30-45% cut on items, that is the total amount that the seller loses on the item.

We all say here "Don't buy from GSP sellers". Well most do not even know this is going on. One seller just found out tonight.

All i read on the message boards is sellers not having sales anymore. ebay is going down very, very fast.

Message 2674 of 6,171
latest reply

So he will be shipping the item directly to me... why and how can Piney Bowes take this extra $22.09 for

doing absolutely nothing!  Pure triple XXX scam here folks.

They take the shipping money for shipping the item internationally, and the import charge covers what they have to pay in customs fees for the importing, plus a small admin fee. They do not do nothing. They don't do anything that a seller really needs, but that is another matter.

I am awaiting other replies from the seller, as he is just realizing that PB is taking money straight out of his pocket.

I hope you have not already paid. If the seller sends direct after you have paid the GSP charges everyone will be out of pocket except the GSP .

Message 2675 of 6,171
latest reply

( 1 )  NOTHING HAS WORKED WELL WITH THIS GSP,CANCEL THIS ,GSP TO EXPENSIVE FOR CANADIANS,

( 2 ) THE SHIPPING FOR THE ITEM THAT I BOUGHT IS SOMETIMES 2 TIMES MORE THEN THE ITEM.

( 3 )  IT IS TO EXPENSIVE NOW TO BUY FROM THE US BASED SUPPLIERS FOR MANY ITEMS.

( 4 ) NOW THINKING OF FROM BUYING FROM OTHER COUNTRY'S AND MORE NOW HERE IN CANADA.

PRICES ARE GOING TO RISE EVEN HIGHER AS THE SYSTEM WANTS MONEY MORE AND MORE I HAVE NO SOLUTION EXCEPT BUY NO MORE IN THE STATES. I AM ON THE CANADIAN E BAY, BUT IT IS STILL UNITED STATES BUYING SYSTEM.  

Message 2676 of 6,171
latest reply

E BAY WITH THEIR OTHER PARTNERS--(GSP/PB ) ???                                                                                                                         

SET THIS UP SYSTEM TO MAKE A BIGGER PROFIT FROM MEMBERS.BUYERS OR SELLERS WHO DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS SYSTEM  IS... THE CANADIAN BUYERS ARE BEING SHAFTED... AS A GOOD MEMBER FOR MANY YEARS WITH E BAY I HAVE BOUGHT MANY ITEMS FROM GREAT SELLER SOME NOW JUST CANCELLED THEIR ACCOUNT AND GOT OUT OF E BAY , AND SEEMS MORE ARE CLOSING ACCOUNTS..I HAVE A FEW MAIN SELLERS..BUT NOW I AM THINKING OF NOT BUYING FROM THEM AND OTHER SELLERS IN THE US BASED E BAY.... THESE SELLERS HAVE TO CONFORM TO E BAYS RULES ECT, BUT TO BUY NOW THE COST IS TO HIGH WITH THIS GSP/PB SYSTEM THAT E BAY HAS,AND OTHERS THAT ARE MAKING (OR TAKING MONEY ) FROM CANADIANS AS WELL AS THE SELLERS. THIS IS TOO BAD,THIS SYSTEM HAS TO CHANGE OR TO BE DROPPED FROM E BAY QUICKLY OR A LOT MORE SELLERS/BUYERS WILL LEAVE......

Message 2677 of 6,171
latest reply

I can't imagine why all these sellers who have dealt with you in the past are closing their eBay accounts. 😇

Welcome back to Buyer Central, Patrick.
Message 2678 of 6,171
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer I so totally agree with you.Buying on ebay use to be enjoyable and reasonable but since this GSP/PB **bleep** came into play I spend more time frustrated and angry.I purchase less and less and avoid sellers in this program as it has made buying from them unaffordable.I no longer recommend ebay buying to anyone without warning to avoid US sellers in the program.I have since started exploring a lot of other sites and I hazard to guess I will eventually buy very little from the ebay site.It is truly unfortunate that ebay is in fact losing the Canadian market for so many US sellers.Hope their economy doesn't take another big nose dive and they start looking towards the Canadian market,it won't be there! Cynthia1311

@patrick_the_loner wrote:

E BAY WITH THEIR OTHER PARTNERS--(GSP/PB ) ???                                                                                                                         

SET THIS UP SYSTEM TO MAKE A BIGGER PROFIT FROM MEMBERS.BUYERS OR SELLERS WHO DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS SYSTEM  IS... THE CANADIAN BUYERS ARE BEING SHAFTED... AS A GOOD MEMBER FOR MANY YEARS WITH E BAY I HAVE BOUGHT MANY ITEMS FROM GREAT SELLER SOME NOW JUST CANCELLED THEIR ACCOUNT AND GOT OUT OF E BAY , AND SEEMS MORE ARE CLOSING ACCOUNTS..I HAVE A FEW MAIN SELLERS..BUT NOW I AM THINKING OF NOT BUYING FROM THEM AND OTHER SELLERS IN THE US BASED E BAY.... THESE SELLERS HAVE TO CONFORM TO E BAYS RULES ECT, BUT TO BUY NOW THE COST IS TO HIGH WITH THIS GSP/PB SYSTEM THAT E BAY HAS,AND OTHERS THAT ARE MAKING (OR TAKING MONEY ) FROM CANADIANS AS WELL AS THE SELLERS. THIS IS TOO BAD,THIS SYSTEM HAS TO CHANGE OR TO BE DROPPED FROM E BAY QUICKLY OR A LOT MORE SELLERS/BUYERS WILL LEAVE......

Message 2679 of 6,171
latest reply

roy_dona
Community Member

The negative feedback was not intended for you , it was directed toward EBay's so-called 'Global Shipping Network' specifically Pitney Bowes for selling off MY amp without any notification to me, or to you, for that matter.
I had NO WAY OF KNOWING they were even involved and I still don't know WHY they were in the first place. If UPS got the amp from Florida to Kentucky, there is NO REASON why they could not have gotten it all the way here. There is something NOT QUITE RIGHT about this little arrangement between EBay and Pitney Bowes and it stinks like high jacking, not to mention that they are TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL.
I will remove the negative feedback if I can figure out how. I think I will also forward this message to Pitney Bowes...there must be somebody there who cares how the company is being run.
Sincerely yours Donat

Message 2680 of 6,171
latest reply