Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: The Global Shipping Program IMPORT CHARGES ridiculously high

PBI along with eBay invent terminology to avoid all of  that and get to re-invent the law under its own views through abuses of contract law. On eBay, Duty/Taxes don't exist — "Import Charges" exist and are defined as PBI and eBay see fit.

The import charges are defined in the terms and conditions and are a reasonable description of what the money is used for. There is nothing here that has not been normal practice in commercial import/export for centuries.

Message 2981 of 6,171
latest reply

But is there sales tax? And are you allowing for the service fee for bringing the item into Canada and to your door?

But sellers who use GSP do it for the protection they get against claims of non-delivery. You might be able to persuade a seller to use First Class International USPS service, which includes Confirmation of Delivery or even Global Priority Shipping.  However, I understand that postal systems are reluctant to insure precious metals (and jewelry and coins and stamps) so you may not be able to buy if the seller insists on GPS coverage.

Or you can request shipping by UPS or FedEx. Be sure the seller uses the Air Express service though or you will be paying tax and service fees on your doorstep before the courier will release the parcel.

Message 2982 of 6,171
latest reply

• The GSP is an apallingly poorly conceived and designed scheme.

Yes

• The designers tried so hard to appeal to US sellers that they totally forgot about the other side of the equation: the international buyers

YES

• Sellers are enrolled into the program without their knowledge or consent, even when what they sell is totally inappropriate for this expensive scheme.

Yes,but technically, they do  consent. Although they may not know they have.

• Hardly anyone is going to read the legalese gobbledigook found in the T&C; if your first language isn't English (and even if it is), good luck trying to get through that stuff! 

Sadly true, but if you don't it's not their fault.

• Ebay says that items under $50 aren't a "good fit" for GSP, so why are we still seeing GSP shipping on 99¢ items with depressing regularity?

Agree

• The GSP has size limits, so why are sellers able to add GSP shipping to items which do not meet these limits?

Sellers almost certainly omit these details. If they build in the shipping cost to offer 'free shipping', they not see the need.

• Why are GSP invoices still not broken down for taxes, service fee, etc. after many months of insistent demands from Canadian (and maybe other) buyers?

Really more trouble than it is  worth. The GSP is supposed to be for non commercial use.

• Why are overpayments not refunded to the buyers? It would be the decent thing to do!

No way of determining  'over payments'

• Why are sellers still allowed to list with GSP without providing a country of origin, when we know that this may result on a non-refundable overcharge to the buyer?

Simple to cure. Hard to think that not tipping off sellers that they are using the GSP might be a reason. Being irrelevant in most countries might  be another.

Message 2983 of 6,171
latest reply

• Why are GSP invoices still not broken down for taxes, service fee, etc. after many months of insistent demands from Canadian (and maybe other) buyers?

Really more trouble than it is  worth. The GSP is supposed to be for non commercial use.

Agree, T&C's state that "for non-commercial use" only, yet the mode of transportation into Canada is by "commercial carrier".  Interesting, is it not?

Message 2984 of 6,171
latest reply

Agree, T&C's state that "for non-commercial use" only, yet the mode of transportation into Canada is by "commercial carrier".  Interesting, is it not?

Not really. Apart from picking a volunteer traveling  in the right direction, there is not much choice.

The terms refer to how the system is used, not how it is implemented, which is at the discretion of the organisers.

Message 2985 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:
  •  shipping cost to offer 'free shipping', they not see the need.

If Borderfree can do it, why not  PBI and the GSP?  Borderfree is also for non-commercial use (as per their T&C) , based on an almost identical model to the GSP, and yet they provide buyers with the charges  for "Duties and taxes"  at time of purchase.  

• Why are sellers still allowed to list with GSP without providing a country of origin, when we know that this may result on a non-refundable overcharge to the buyer?

Simple to cure. Hard to think that not tipping off sellers that they are using the GSP might be a reason. Being irrelevant in most countries might  be another.

Many countries have free trade agreements,

This issue is far more relevant than it first appears, but simple to cure if PB and eBay have the will to do so, which, based on their inaction in this regard,  they seem to lack. 

Message 2986 of 6,171
latest reply

I suspect Borderfree send stuff as individual items not as mixed consignments. This would be sufficient explanation. If anyone has bought anything with Borderfree the wrapping and labels may be clue enough to show the method.

Message 2987 of 6,171
latest reply

Thank you, Arlene, for going to the trouble of posting this clear demonstration of the user-unfriendliness of the GSP. Even though Overstock's prices are higher through Borderfree than eBay, the fact that BF allows combined shipping goes along way toward evening the playing field. And then there's its greater transparency. One could buy without the uneasy feeling one's being conned into paying more than necessary, for duty for example.

The first time I heard of Borderfree was recently while considering the purchase of a jacket from Eddie Bauer's online site. I thought the charges for shipping, duties etc were quite reasonable compared to what I've been seeing with the GSP. Your post bears that out.

Since it was new to me, I googled a bit and was surprised to find Borderfree used to be owned by Canada Post. Too bad they sold it, you'd think it would be a money-maker for them.

Message 2988 of 6,171
latest reply

@dasia143 wrote:

Since it was new to me, I googled a bit and was surprised to find Borderfree used to be owned by Canada Post. Too bad they sold it, you'd think it would be a money-maker for them.

I suspect that as Borderfree only covered U.S.-Canada shipments when it was under Canada Post's ownership, its reach wasn't broad enough for a lot of e-tailers' likings.

Message 2989 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

PBI along with eBay invent terminology to avoid all of  that and get to re-invent the law under its own views through abuses of contract law. On eBay, Duty/Taxes don't exist — "Import Charges" exist and are defined as PBI and eBay see fit.

The import charges are defined in the terms and conditions and are a reasonable description of what the money is used for. There is nothing here that has not been normal practice in commercial import/export for centuries.

While this may be true to a point — one cannot go to anyone and say "I paid duty and taxes on this", as PBI themselves are the ones who paid those with how the terms are written — you just pay money into a fund that goes against those items. The consumer only pays "Import Charges" as defined by the T&C's, but the phrase "Import Charges" has no legal meaning outside of eBay. "Import Charges" are an eBay-world term with how they are executed under the GSP.

While it is true that there is a "reasonable description", legally it is still PBI that is remitting the duty and taxes. PBI can easily claim that the "Import Charges" are entered into a pool fund and that pool is used against the duty and taxes of the bulk shipments that the GSP performs. There are no accountability mechanisms written into the agreements where you may lean on PBI to comply with their end of the agreement due to the Indemnity and Jurisdiction sections of the main terms where eBay attempts to remove foreign law from the equation and exert United States-style business practices internationally.

The fact that eBay and PBI spell out explicitly how duty and taxation is to work in the GSP terms is where my concern lies as the law already has those mechanisms defined through the mechanisms the CBSA executes every day.

Message 2990 of 6,171
latest reply

............. and the GSP threads continue.

It's overwhelmingly clear that Canadians and others don't love the program.....

Yet, it appears in an increasing number of US listings by the day.

What does that tell you about your buying power on eBay.com?

Nobody Cares!

Message 2991 of 6,171
latest reply

That depends on what the meaning of "is" , is. -- Bill Clinton.

A "commercial carrier" is one which carries freight for money, usually a registered business that collects and pays taxes, has a staff, owns or rents its own vehicles-- it has nothing to do with "non-commercial use", which refers to the sale and purchase of the products that the carrier is ... carrying.

As opposed to asking your cousin in Philadelphia to pick up your item at the seller's house, and bring it with him when he visits your grandma on her birthday next week. That would be a 'non-commercial carrier".

Message 2992 of 6,171
latest reply

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A GUITAR FROM THE US TO SHIP TO AUSTRALIA, VIA GSP.

SOMEONE DECIDED TO "TICK A BOX" AND I LOST THE GUITAR DUE TO A "RESTRICTION" WHICH DOES NOT EXIST!

SOMEONE ENDED UP WITH A CHEAP EXPENSIVE GUITAR.

I CAN'T DISCOUNT THE POSSIBILITY OF FRAUD.

DO NOT TRUST THE GSP, OR EBAY TO ASSISST ONE BIT IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG REAL OR MANUFACTURED.

NEITHER HAVE A MEAGRE CONCEPT OF "CUSTOMER SERVICE." 

THEY DO NOT GIVE A **bleep** ABOUT CUSTOMERS. 

Message 2993 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi there!

I read all about your guitar on the US International Trade Board.

It really is  too bad that this happened, but I don't think that there is any fraud involved.

There are many instances of complete incompetence with this program and it has a huge range of problems, but from my understanding of the links posted to that thread it is clear that Pitney Bowes are simply being very vigilant, and overcautious in any "grey area" instances,.

They do not want to run into problems with various agencies, because taking on these big agencies would cost a great deal more than dealing with disgruntled international buyers on eBay.  So, they are proactive in avoiding any such situations. Even imaginary ones, I suspect. 

Unfortunately PB bit off far more than they can chew with this program here on this venue, and their very poor implementation has led to this .... items that are not "suitable" should not be listed. Buyers lose confidence in the venue and the program, so it is not good for business in the long run.  

In a bot driven,  cyborg-type of   universe buyers go away and say "no worries, I have my refund"

But this is not the way human beings are ... as your anger  and disappointment demonstrate.  Let's hope PB finds a way to handle this better in future, and be more vigilant to ensure ineligible items that will get screened and "confiscated" at the Kentucky depot don't get listed in the first place

Message 2994 of 6,171
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

This is really short notice, I appreciate, but given that I'm not an eBay employee (contrary to what seems to be popular belief), you get what you pay for.  😉

The weekly board session on the .com boards is going to be about GSP fees.  Why this is on the .com board where the bulk of users on the site don't pay those fees in the first place is beyond me, but it is what it is.

It starts at 4 PM eastern, 1 PM Pacific, so you've got about half an hour to get your questions in place!  Knock 'em dead!

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-about-Global-Shipping-Program-F...

Message 2995 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi guitardactyls. 

Restrictions on guitars has been a hot topic lately. Several customers have posted to the message boards, asking why some guitar shipments are being restricted. This uptick led us to some additional discussions with Pitney Bowes, and they are currently taking a closer look at how/when/why to restrict certain woods. 

As alluded to elsewhere in this thread, Pitney Bowes decided to take a "better safe than sorry" approach when it came to CITES restrictions. You can read more about this in the following thread:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/All-Global-Shipping-Program-packages-are-going-undel...

I chime in at message #23 and 25, and there is other useful info in there as well. 

Hope this helps. 

---Bennett

Message 2996 of 6,171
latest reply

@guitardactyls wrote:

DO NOT TRUST THE GSP, OR EBAY TO ASSISST ONE BIT IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG REAL OR MANUFACTURED.

NEITHER HAVE A MEAGRE CONCEPT OF "CUSTOMER SERVICE." 

THEY DO NOT GIVE A **bleep** ABOUT CUSTOMERS. 

This Canadian buyer wasted time trying to buy guitars from the US , too.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buying-on-eBay/about-6-washburn-guitars-weren-t-allowed-to-cross-US-CA-b...

Guitars.JPG

Message 2997 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

This is really short notice, I appreciate, but given that I'm not an eBay employee (contrary to what seems to be popular belief), you get what you pay for.  😉

The weekly board session on the .com boards is going to be about GSP fees.  Why this is on the .com board where the bulk of users on the site don't pay those fees in the first place is beyond me, but it is what it is.

It starts at 4 PM eastern, 1 PM Pacific, so you've got about half an hour to get your questions in place!  Knock 'em dead!

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-about-Global-Shipping-Program-F...

Thanks, Tom, I posted a question/comment but got no response .. no surprise, an hour is a very short time, and anyway, I already had my answer earlier from the weekly thread here ..so it was pretty much a duplicate question. 

But it was an interesting hour, some fairly direct questions. 

Message 2998 of 6,171
latest reply

Can

@bennett4612 wrote:

Hi guitardactyls. 

Restrictions on guitars has been a hot topic lately. Several customers have posted to the message boards, asking why some guitar shipments are being restricted. This uptick led us to some additional discussions with Pitney Bowes, and they are currently taking a closer look at how/when/why to restrict certain woods. 

As alluded to elsewhere in this thread, Pitney Bowes decided to take a "better safe than sorry" approach when it came to CITES restrictions. You can read more about this in the following thread:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/All-Global-Shipping-Program-packages-are-going-undel...

I chime in at message #23 and 25, and there is other useful info in there as well. 

Hope this helps. 

---Bennett

Can you assist with getting this guitar back?

I asked them to review their decision.

I don't think that was too much to ask.

The decision is baseless and does not apply to the finished woods used by Gibson, not CITES regulated!

I have checked with Australian Customs and Environmental regulators and well as the US authorities. NO PROBLEMS THERE!!!

These guitars are exported and imported from the US and into Australia on a daily basis without any restrictions. 

Message 2999 of 6,171
latest reply

As a longtime Canadian shopper on eBay from US sellers, I would appreciate the option to eliminate items shipping via the GSP from my searches.  As a rule, I won't buy from sellers using the GSP because of the extra cost, delivery delays and hassle.  So, if I am looking for something with a lot of listings, i.e., a pair of shoes, I would like to eliminate GSP listings from the start. 

It would be interesting to see (over time) the sales numbers to Canada from US sellers participating in the GSP.  I would predict that there will be a steady decline as more and more people feel taken advantage of by eBay and sellers who don't realize the extra costs they are passing onto their buyers with the unique relationship and shopping habits between Canada / US.

Message 3000 of 6,171
latest reply