Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

"But my solution will get noticed quicker. You have to hit them where it will hurt the most in the pocket book."

I don't disagree with this logic in theory.

So by not buying from GSP sellers, I am doing basically the same thing - I'm isolating GSP sellers. And still having a shot at the items I want.

It's a win / win situation.

"I have other means to buy die cast mostly on social media. There are many groups that have buy sell trade groups that i can get what i'm looking for."

If that is working for you, that's great. Unfortunately, many of us don't have similar alternatives.

Message 4141 of 6,171
latest reply

I attempted to buy a $19.95 knife sheath. 

Shipping was listed at $14.53.

Import charges were $7.97.

Seller was not sure that he/she "was allowed to get out of the program."

Nuff said.

What pure, u

nadulterated BS this program is.

Message 4142 of 6,171
latest reply

Well it appears that the Global masters have been picking which posts to place here!

I thought I made a post 

where I was interested in buying a knife sheath.

Price $19.95

Shipping $14.53

Import charges $7.97

I thought I expressed outrage at this clear rip off.

Careful what you say here folks. You may not get posted.

Message 4143 of 6,171
latest reply

Well then, I'm 62 and retired from being a printer because I was sick and tired of waking up sick and tired! I worked shifts for 35 years.

All the young bucks they hired worked their tails off till they got in the union and then it was "I don't have to....." I got tired of being the go to guy. Being called at home all hours of the day and night, working weekends, holidays, double shifts etc. The money was good but the tax I paid, sheeesh! It got so I wasn't even making straight time I lost so much.

Myself I still like music. I follow the exploits of the musicians I grew up listening to. A lot are still creating new music if they aren't in rehab! I like movies but don't watch TV. So most of my business here was cd and dvd deals.

I've had a '70 Dart Swinger with a 340 that was .30 overbore. It had 10.5:1 TRW pistons and a lumpy TRW cam with a Holly 650 double pumper and an Offy manifold, 3:91 rear gear and a 727 3 on the tree with a shift kit. It had no air, an A.M. radio, no carpets, a bench seat. Manual steering and brakes with bias-ply tires. It drove like a truck and if it rained it stayed in the garage! 

After that I had a Cordoba I put a 360 in that was a bit of a highway brawler.

When I got married I had to give it up (sort of). My wife said "buy something small", so I bought a Mustang! Now I've had 6 and am currently driving a '08 GT with a 4.6 cammer. I'm in negotiations with wifey for a new one. I also have a "Built Ford Tuff" tee shirt. I have family who worked at Ford so always got the good stuff at employee cost.

To get back on topic what you've suggested is the best route I'd say. Not buying from G.S.P. members but making your purchase from those who aren't still puts money in their coffers. But if enough did their shopping elsewhere it would hit were it hurts the most, the bottom line.

Message 4144 of 6,171
latest reply

Boston Tea Party.

Ask all sellers to uncheck the Global Shipping participation on the current listings you want to buy (or on all listings). If they don't listen or respond... buy the item and give them a terrible review. When they complain back to you... explain that it is nothing personal ... There is a crooked injustice being performed by ebay.... and you are simply throwing tea into the water. Tell the seller to complain to ebay and post complaints to these boards.... and everywhere else!

Message 4145 of 6,171
latest reply

That's funny, your comparison to the B.T.P.

I hadn't considered asking a seller to turn it off but will give it a shot next time I see something I like. I wasn't aware that they could for an individual article.

There is one slight problem though. Since all it seems eBay cares about is your money and how to get more of it out of you if you leave a negative review it doesn't matter because they still got your cash!

I bought 2 cds from a U.K. seller last week for GBP 5.50 shipping or a little over $9.00, today I looked to see if he'd added anything new and to my horror was greeted by this nasty virus. He had opted in and now to post 1 disc here was going to cost me $31.00 OUCH!

Message 4146 of 6,171
latest reply

reid4311

Congratulations on reaching a feedback rating of 1,000.

It is great milestone.

Message 4147 of 6,171
latest reply

Thank you Pierre!

That's an awful lot of music and movies!

I always read with interest your comments when I see them here and during the board hours.

Now, sadly I've got to get my shovel out!

Message 4148 of 6,171
latest reply

"If they don't listen or respond... buy the item and give them a terrible review."

OR...

You could just not buy the item and move on. Would be the smart thing to do.

Message 4149 of 6,171
latest reply

Exactly! If you don't like the G.S.P. then simply look for someone who offers whatever it is you're looking for and will post it directly to you.  

Me? If I see a cd I want but the seller uses G.S.P. I add it to my watch list so I remember it then when I'm here I'll use the 'view similar items' tab. You'd be surprised how quickly another turns up and he may not use P-B. 

Message 4150 of 6,171
latest reply

Item Cost $28
First class postage to Canada - $5.50
Global Shipping Program - $16.95
"Import Charges": $7.65

Used clothing - there IS no import charge.
Shipping time - 2 weeks (sat in ebay terminal for four/five days)

First Class Mail - shipped from the other side of the country - under 1 week

Similar incidents have led me to NOT BUY FROM ANY SELLER USING GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM unless...

I am sending presents to friends in the States.

Discussed with last seller - I don't know who is getting all that extra money - not the seller.
Resent paying an overnight level of charge for extremely reduced service.

NOT THE SELLER'S FAULT - they are acting in good faith, having been told what a peachy program this is.

What would help? Have a filter so that I can EXCLUDE all sellers using the Global Shipping Program. It's a cash grab.

Thank you very much!

Message 4151 of 6,171
latest reply

Ask all sellers to uncheck the Global Shipping participation on the current listings you want to buy (or on all listings). If they don't listen or respond... buy the item and give them a terrible review. When they complain back to you... explain that it is nothing personal ... There is a crooked injustice being performed by ebay.... and you are simply throwing tea into the water. Tell the seller to complain to ebay and post complaints to these boards.... and everywhere else!

The terms and conditions of the GSP mean that any bad FB or low DSRs will be removed by ebay. Think again.

Message 4152 of 6,171
latest reply

"Import Charges": $7.65

Used clothing - there IS no import charge.

There is import sales tax on used clothing. It's the equivalent of HST/PST. The import charges figure is about 2 dollars tax and 5 dollars standard processing charge.

It has long been obvious that low value lightweight items are not suitable for the GSP. Even ebay admits this and suggests a minimul value of $50, most people would probably say $100 is more like it, with weight over 4 pounds.

The GSP is only a 'cash grab' if you consider a taxi driver charging more than bus fare is a 'cash grab'.

You are paying a different price for a different service. It's a silly price if used inappropriately, as is usually is, but whatever a 'cash grab' means, (if anything), it's not one of them.

Message 4153 of 6,171
latest reply

"Ask all sellers to uncheck the Global Shipping participation on the current listings you want to buy (or on all listings)."

befreeer should have stopped at this point... nothing wrong with asking. And sometimes it actually works. Sometimes.

Message 4154 of 6,171
latest reply

"The GSP is only a 'cash grab' if you consider a taxi driver charging more than bus fare is a 'cash grab'."

My worry is that, eventually they will remove the "bus fare".  Then it becomes a cash-grab.

Message 4155 of 6,171
latest reply

Global Shipping Program is by and fare the worst thing ebay has ever introduced and that is saying a lot given the epic mistakes they have made over the years.

the Global Shipping Program stupid beyond words.

i would like to suggest we all sign a  petition asking this horrible anti-business practice be removed but even that will fall upon def ears.

here's what it is. usually when someone pays, there is a button to view order which shows the address, however, ebay won't let us send an invoice if the buyer is out of country. apparently they want the out of country buyer to arrange the shipping with another source.  Canadian buyers use some service for this which always has it shipped to Kentucky.

Message 4156 of 6,171
latest reply

"the Global Shipping Program stupid beyond words."

I too am not a fan of the GSP. It is used incorrectly for many, many items.

"however, ebay won't let us send an invoice if the buyer is out of country. apparently they want the out of country buyer to arrange the shipping with another source."

This part I'm not following...

I'm out of country, (Canada), and for each item I've bought/won, I received an invoice from the seller. never had to arrange anything myself.

Or did I read it wrong?

Message 4157 of 6,171
latest reply

"ebay won't let us send an invoice if the buyer is out of country"

You are registered in Canada, shipping from Vancouver BC

As a seller this program does not apply to you.  You are free to invoice your buyers and ship by the method shown in your listings.

Message 4158 of 6,171
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer, the GPS system is the worst thing to happen for international purchases from USA. Everything no matter were it originates has to go to Erlanger KY. This is a huge time inconvenience for me as it takes much longer to receive items. The auto import fees is the only benifit as you don't get any big surprises but otherwise quite unhappy with it and specifically look for local sales now first before seeking US items.
Message 4159 of 6,171
latest reply

"The auto import fees is the only benifit as you don't get any big surprises but otherwise quite unhappy with it and specifically look for local sales now first before seeking US items."

I absolutely hate the auto-import fee.  Have you ever been dinged for anything less than $50 by CBSA? I haven't.

It is only a possible benefit on expensive items that are almost assuredly going to be charged an "import fee" on arrival.

Message 4160 of 6,171
latest reply