Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

You got me thinking about that and I dont see how the seller could undervalue it below the purchase price because I paid what was invoiced and GSP supplied the cost of import based on the purchase price. Sheesh! I hope I am right.... I am right, right?

Yes you're right.  The seller would not be able to change the value of an item for customs on a gsp sale.

Message 4401 of 6,171
latest reply

@richvv11 wrote:

No Pitney Bowes does not pay that. I am trying to get a refund for this now. And it looks as if no one will accept responsibllity. 

Pitney Bowes or ebay will pay if an item is damaged in shipping. I don't know what your situation is but have you filed an item as not described claim?

Message 4402 of 6,171
latest reply

Forget involving the seller. Just file an item not as described case and do not close the case. You will get a refund for the item and the shipping but the import fee is non refundable. You wont have to return anything. The poor seller will not be hurt in any way from this.
Message 4403 of 6,171
latest reply

"You will get a refund for the item and the shipping but the import fee is non refundable."

So buyer will be out-of-pocket $$ because PB just does not care about providing a quality service?

Something very wrong with that.

Message 4404 of 6,171
latest reply

@mater721 wrote:

"You will get a refund for the item and the shipping but the import fee is non refundable."

So buyer will be out-of-pocket $$ because PB just does not care about providing a quality service?

No, the buyer is made whole (as he/she  well should!) PB swallows the loss, including the "import charges".

This is one more reason why a case should always be opened whenever an item doesn't arrive or arrives damaged. Buyers who file cases hurt PB where it matters: in the pocketbook. Every claim that they have to pay means that much less profit for the GSP.

Message 4405 of 6,171
latest reply

rreta
Community Member
I would like the option as a buyer to opt out of the GSP program. Makes filtering my USA purchases impossible without having to scroll down page at shipping preferences as posted by seller. Very close to leaving EBay due to GSP program. I have been a long time eBay user as both a seller and buyer.
Message 4406 of 6,171
latest reply

Your right it dont say priority Mail shipping thru USPS like it used to.

Well thats it for me im done buying from shippers that use the GSP i only bought theses van tail lights because i couldnt find them anywhere else.

after this one im not buying anything from GSP users. my parcel is now with fedex soon to be can par then Lomis before i see it in a week or 3 or 4 damaged to like the last one no doubt.

Theres still lots of sellers that dont use the GSP i wish i could set a search function so i could shop avioding all GSP sellers.

This was a bad move by ebays part it will hurt sellers as the canuck dollar drops more we just wont shop in the USA anymore not on ebay anyway.

Message 4407 of 6,171
latest reply

I have suggested a filter option to ebay. We'll see whether they take my idea seriously.

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 4408 of 6,171
latest reply

@mater721 wrote:

Yes. I think it is clear that the Global Shipping Program is broken and possibly fraudulent. Someone is swallowing money somewhere as import charges are always higher than the table shown on the Canadian Customs and Excise web site. Not to mention Returns! 

Message 4409 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm sure it's been requested many times, but I'd like to be able to omit GSP items from searches.  That said, I've drastically reduced the number of eBay purchases as a result.  It is a good way to encourage people to make online purchases elsewhere though - e.g., Amazon.

Message 4410 of 6,171
latest reply

@mookmeister wrote:

I'm sure it's been requested many times, but I'd like to be able to omit GSP items from searches.  That said, I've drastically reduced the number of eBay purchases as a result.  It is a good way to encourage people to make online purchases elsewhere though - e.g., Amazon.

I do 2 things now.

1) I do more .ca Canada Only shopping.

and

2) I sometimes email the Seller and ask if they will take the GSP off an item. It's not so much that I want that item without GSP at that point, but kind of telling them that there is the option to opt out. If they also say they ship directly from <insert choice of location here> AND they use the GSP; I kindly inform them that first it goes to Kentucky to be hacked and repacked by PB before it gets to the Buyer. THAT usually gets their attention, because frankly very few know that!

I figure if Ebay isn't going to admit it's a huge money grab and doing their reputation in, and do their job and listen to the people (including Sellers complaining about lagging sales here in the Forum); them maybe the Buyers should do something.

One Seller at a time. Smiley Wink

Message 4411 of 6,171
latest reply

Community Member

I just want to say, the GSP is a HUGE SCAM

I would like a way of opting out of it as a buyer in Canada, or allowing US sellers to NOT use it once I have already purchased an item from them.

Seriously, until ebay gets rid of this horrendous "service" or let's me opt out of it, I will be doing my online shopping at Amazon.
Message 4412 of 6,171
latest reply

Its been a long time since I posted.

I continue to purchase on ebay largely from sellers I have been dealing with for years, smart ones who don't use the GSP.  Outside of them I have had luck in asking sellers using it to disable it for a purchase I want to make.  Lots of times they still aren't aware of what it is.

I also seemed to buy more from the UK, but now that they are also showing GSP I have pretty much stopped that.

It only pushes my shopping further east to get away from this stupid program and thats something I really didn't want to do.  AND I have also GREATLY increased purchases from non-ebay sites for many things that I would never have thought of looking for elsewhere.

I am about to start selling, hopefully in a major way, and I doubt much of it will be through ebay.  There are too many other options, and frankly, given ebay has ignored the feedback here for a long long time now, I am reluctant to give any support that I can avoid.

I have heard from some sellers I dealt with for a long time that conditions for sellers aren't that good either, and many of them have left ebay completely.  Thankfully most of them are still selling directly 🙂

Its really a shame, was a wonderful place to buy.

Message 4413 of 6,171
latest reply

Important Notes:

The GSP does not allow sellers to combine shipping, even if they say they will. After the auction ends there is no way for a seller to send you an invoice for both items.

If a seller has opted into GSP, there is no discrimination for charging the import fees on their items. Meaning you will be charged beyond what may be required by Canadian Customs for certain items. If you are incorrectly charged these when importing goods by any other means the fees can be appealed. You will never receive a refund of any type from Ebay or PB for fees charged through the GSP, even if you can prove they over charged you. Especially if you are buying larger or more expensive items, understand the import taxes and duties that would be levied at the border on that type of item. If there are exemptions, it may be cheaper to pay a little extra from an international seller not from the Ebay community or at least not subscribing to the GSP.

There is currently (and in all likelihood won't be) anyway for you to opt out of receiving an item through the GSP as a buy after the auction ends. There is also no way for you to search for items from the US and exclude sellers using the GSP. Another note on shipping, the option for organizing the search listings by Price plus Shipping will not factor in the GSP charges and will not be entirely accurate. Use the Lowest Price search option and survey shipping charges for yourself, if you really want an item and don't agree with the charges, check the listing for a lower price being offered or contact the seller directly. Often I will just ask 'How much to ship to Canada?', and the response will be lower than what the auction lists. However, to mention again, if any agreements like this are made with sellers using the GSP, they will not be able to make any changes after the auction ends.

I have had sellers that were unaware of their participation in the GSP cancel sales, then opt out of the GSP and set up a buy it now for me. Doesn't hurt to ask, many sellers do not know they have signed up for the GSP, and many are equally **bleep** off when you tell them about it. I typically avoid using the word 'scam', but they always draw that conclusion anyway.

If considering buying from a seller using the GSP it is always better to voice any concerns before bidding, as the fallout from trying to deal with issues after the auction is over can result in cancelled sales and strikes. Not always a bad thing, but remember that the seller may not be aware of the GSP, they do not see or get any of the additional shipping and import fees, and you may end up causing harm to someone that really did nothing wrong. Ebay is taking your money, not them.

There is no apparent pattern to GSP fees. The fees are 'estimated' for the current bid. I have had no luck trying to determine what the fees will increase to if the auction reaches my maximum bid, so do not even try to accurately assume what your final cost might be. My rule has been my max bid plus shipping, then subtract 20-25%, depending on how expensive and/or large the item is.

My experience with the GSP is that items bought in the US from auction while trying to save some money typically end up costing more than I really wanted to spend, and often the same price as I could have found them for in Canada. Try to use it only for very rare items you may no be able to find elsewhere, and hopefully items that you do not mind paying more for.

Note that while you have bid on a low priced item (say under $20) and the auction may not show any import fees to be estimated for that auction, even if you win at that price you can still be charged at the checkout. So the actual price shown is not always (and rarely in my experience) the final cost that you will be paying.

Shipping times will vary significantly with the GSP. I have had items from California show up in 5 days, and others from just across the border in NY state take over 3 weeks.

Bottom line for newer buyers who for some reason managed to make it to the 225th or something page of this overwhelming topic. Only buy items from US sellers in the GSP if it is something that is difficult to find and you are willing to pay more than you might actually want to. Or don't and search for items only in Canada. I used to tell people to try searching Kijiji for items they cannot find on Ebay.ca, however since Ebay 'aquired' Kijiji, I am counting the days until they find a way to start picking my pockets on that site as well.

One positive note: If a seller has explicitly mentioned in their auction that they will only ship to the Lower 48 States then you can still bid, because it is likely that they will think they've sold an item to somewhere in Kentucky (where most of my GSP/PB shipments originate). However, many of them have adopted this shipping policy due to their distaste for foreigners, and from experience they get very **bleep** off when you contact them to let them know that you're so delighted to have won the auction because you could not find this item in Canada. I have followed up and found that more than one US seller has consequently opted out of the GSP to avoid shipping internationally even though they would never have known otherwise. This of course does not help us in anyway, as those items would not have been available to us without the GSP and seller ignorance. It does however keep US sellers from unwittingly selling internationally and padding Ebay and PB's pockets with Canadian dollars.

I would rather pay a few extra bucks to another Canadian than be shovelling dollars into the Ebay bank anyway.

Message 4414 of 6,171
latest reply

Pretty fair summary.

There is no apparent pattern to GSP fees. The fees are 'estimated' for the current bid. I have had no luck trying to determine what the fees will increase to if the auction reaches my maximum bid

There is an unobtrusive link (it may say 'calculate'. it is ages since I did some dummy purchases with the GSP) which you can use to see the charges based on your maximum bid instead of the current bid level. I suspect that they may then also be based more accurately on your location. You could experiment with this by altering your ship to postal code to a different province

Anyone can experiement with this as the link is usable after you have entered your bid amount but before you actually commit to placing the bid. At that  point you can back out without any bid being made.

Message 4415 of 6,171
latest reply

"You will never receive a refund of any type from Ebay or PB for fees charged through the GSP, even if you can prove they over charged you."

Are you saying the "import fees" may be higher than what ebay is indicating to you on your Bid or BIN?

Or is this in reference to the calculation you see being higher than Govt normally would charge.

I guess so long as buyer knows the final total and is ok with the total, the import fee is not quite as relevant.

"There is currently (and in all likelihood won't be) anyway for you to opt out of receiving an item through the GSP as a buy after the auction ends."

Can we not ask them for a new invoice (GSP-free) and pay them directly through PayPal?

Message 4416 of 6,171
latest reply

This is Fraud!

I have now called 7 times without a single response. I do logistics and I am a certified customs broker. What they are doing is WRONG WRONG WRONG. The tariff schedule does not match what they charge. The tarriff schedule is freely avaible and will tell you what if any duty you are required to pay. Apparently Pitney PILE OF **bleep** Bowes is unaware of Nafta!!! Most exports going either way only have destination taxes paid ( your state/province tax and any federal taxes but NO DUTY).

I only by Video games through eBay and am getting charged duty on items that are not dutiable! Video games are ZERO duty and yet eBay rips of there customers.

I will never buy anything through Pitney PILE OF **bleep** Bowes scam ever again.

THIS IS A SCAM

Message 4417 of 6,171
latest reply

Could you please offer a specific example of an item manufactured in the USA (should be duty free) where duty has been charged (in addition to taxes and the usual $4/$5 service charge)?

Message 4418 of 6,171
latest reply

I do logistics and I am a certified customs broker.

In which case a more detailed analysis with evidence and examples would have been a more effective message than a rant with spelling mistakes.

With a few peculiar exceptions, examination of GSP charges has shown them to be pretty much in line with what they should be. It is certainly not a fraud, just expensive, cumbersome and next to useless, a rather different matter.

Who have you called, what response did you expect or hope for, and were your calls more moderate than your post?

If the video games are not US, Mexican or Canadian manufacture NAFTA exemptions do not apply.

Message 4419 of 6,171
latest reply

Chiming in here with others about the problems with Global Shipping.

US sellers do not seem to understand what Canadian buyers see for shipping options when they opt for Global Shipping. When I ask a seller about shipping USPS, the seller usually tells me to select that option at checkout. But if they haven't added it, I can't. From what I can figure, a seller clicks Global Shipping thinking it adds it as on option among others, but in fact it is the sole option.

A seller has to manually add by country additional shipping options. Next time you see a US seller with a $1 item and $16 global shipping, send them this and hope for the best :

To customize your Global Shipping Program preferences by country:
Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences.
Click Show to the right of the Shipping Preferences section.
Click Edit to the right of Offer the Global Shipping Program.
Select the Allow me to customize international shipping by country checkbox.
Click Submit.
In the International shipping section of your listing, select the shipping services you'd like to use for specific countries. You can add up to 4 international shipping options in addition to the Global Shipping Program. 

Message 4420 of 6,171
latest reply