Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

I agree with most posts.
Fees are to high without any explanation.
Also will not buy from seller using GSP.
Message 4461 of 6,171
latest reply

I have had issues that some ebay users do not have the logal of golbal identified and when I purchased then I found out. When I use my android you cant see all the details unless they have the logal on it. I have been buying from ebay for ages and these sellers are not using alternatives so I might stop using ebay all together since shipping is already expensive.
Message 4462 of 6,171
latest reply

Just don't use a phone. It can't be that urgent.

Message 4463 of 6,171
latest reply

The enormous cost aside, it now takes 2-3 weeks for me to receive my items from the US to Canada. I have now turned to Amazon for many of my purchases and have found that many of the items will ship for free and prices to be 5-10% less not even factoring the extra global shipping charge.
Message 4464 of 6,171
latest reply

Better Question:  Tell me how this program benefits me?   It does not.  I bought 1 item and it came in pieces!

I will not buy from a seller using the global shipping program and this has cut my buying down tremendously.   Customs charges us taxes at random!  I have purchased items over $300 no duty.  I only want to do business with people who care about customer service. 

If customs charged taxes on all packages they would be backed up for years.    Why should I pay $5.60 on an item $19.99?  You have sellers selling items for $5 using global shipping. I have complained about this in the past and was told by an eBay rep that global shipping is meant for items over $50. 

I  buy breakables and got my item broken, poor packing.  When it hit Kentucky it would have been broken as the item was packed with no head space a figurine fit from head to foot touching the box with 1 piece of flimsy bubble wrap.  This is the packers fault but this parcel must have rattled in Kentucky and should have been checked.  The shipper might as well as put the item in the post box unwrapped with my address - careless shipping. Why should a shipper care about packing Global Shipping assures them their money back.  

This program only benefits eBay and Pitney Bowes and the uneducated seller not the buyer.   The item takes longer to get to the destination and costs more.

I would like to be able to EXCLUDE in a search "items shipped by Global Shipping"   I have  communicated with sellers that use the program and they think they have to write a thesis to ship to Canada.  They are scared to fill out a customs form - eBay needs to educate not promote global shipping.

QUESTIONS:

1.) Are US shippers not able to print out a shipping label with the customs information on it?  

2.) is there a way to search for items outside the program?

3.) How much does eBay get paid from Pitney Bowes for providing this (non) service?

Message 4465 of 6,171
latest reply

Items are often repacked in the Pitney Bowes Kentucky center. The seller most likely packed it properly. Many posts about PB repacking poorly apparently to save on shipping costs to Canada and other countries. Many items reported broken.

Message 4466 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello,

There is absolutely no question that the entire program is a scam and a money grab by Pitney Bowes. You need to step up to the plate and have the program cancelled. I actually wish that someone with the time would launch a lawsuit regarding this matter.

Message 4467 of 6,171
latest reply

Add me to the list of potential buyers put off by this GSP. A lot of purchases I wanted to make have been soured by the costs of the shipping program, when I know before the program was implemented these shipping charges were far much less than they are now.

I will not buy from sellers using the GSP. Get rid of it already.

Thanks

Message 4468 of 6,171
latest reply

I am just experiencing GSP for the first and last time. I will from here on in avoid sellers using GSP.

Message 4469 of 6,171
latest reply

paulswo
Community Member

The fact that there has been no change at all with the GSP and also zero responses to concerns about the GSP from ebay should tell everyone something.

ebay is just anoher gazillion dollar huge conglomerate that really doesn't give a rat's a$$ about it's users. As long as the stock rises , it's all good.

Message 4470 of 6,171
latest reply

kamdad
Community Member

When I make an offer on an item in the Global shipping program so that it is below the duty threshold, the shipping charges increase? Why does that happen!?

Message 4471 of 6,171
latest reply

@kamdad wrote:

When I make an offer on an item in the Global shipping program so that it is below the duty threshold, the shipping charges increase? Why does that happen!?

When there are taxes due, they include a service charge in with the import fees. If there are no import fees due, they add the service charge to the shipping cost.

Message 4472 of 6,171
latest reply

pm1941
Community Member

I'm in Canada and watching the slow progress of my latest purchase through the USA. en route to me.   It appears that the Global Shipping database has a 24 hour delay.   It's Tuesday afternoon and it has only just updated telling me where it was last scanned in the USA on Monday.

There should be an alternative way of following packages, or else the Global Shipping database needs to be more speedy posting where things are.

At this rate it will probably arrive here before your system even knows that it's crossed the border.

That sort of defeats the usefulness of Global Tracking.

Peter
Toronto, Canada.
Message 4473 of 6,171
latest reply

HI, I will NEVER  again buy anything from anyone who has the Global shipping service. It is a total money extraction and unfair unnecessary cost for the buyer living in Canada. The import fees are way too high and make no sense at all and so does the shipping. It is a total cash crab from eBay.  I had items shipped to me which show that after the seller had sent the item to the warehouse and they put a eBay tape etc.on it to ship it to the buyer, it took a week longer to get here and cost twice as much. What a rip off!!!!!  When people list an item in the States the "Global shipping" is checked off automatically. and many people don't even know about it. Talk to the seller to make sure he understands what is going on so he can uncheck the box in his listing. Thank you, Gerri

Message 4474 of 6,171
latest reply

My feedback will reflect that, if I ever receive the darn thing.  😉

Peter
Toronto, Canada.
Message 4475 of 6,171
latest reply

I been with ebay for ten years with 100% positive rating.    After  sending a comment above the

global shipping big rip off. For some reason my adds are very very very hard to find.

So my comment is           this is what everybody already no.s it is.

fill   in  the blanks.

Thanks   Allan

Message 4476 of 6,171
latest reply

Your advertisement for the Gibson guitar is hard to find because you do not list a shipping charge for the USA and overseas.

Without a shipping charge to the USA, your listing will NOT be seen on eBay.com

You need to revise the listing and add a shipping charge to the USA to be seen on eBay.com.

It has nothing to do with your comments on this board.  eBay does not read those comments.  They do not have the staff for it nor do they care as they already know what Canadians will say about GSP.

Message 4477 of 6,171
latest reply

Cancel this ridiculous scam fee. First time I ever paid for it, it didn't even cover customs! I was double dinged when my package got to the door. Since then I won't buy from sellers who have this - most of whom actually don't know its on their listing. I have got sellers to cancel their listing and relist without the scam ebay fee, and voila! No GSP charge or "custom fee" that they claimed would be covered by the GSP.

SCAM SCAM SCAM
Message 4478 of 6,171
latest reply

My purchases from eBay have slowed down tremendously since the GSP came around. I've been a member here since 1999 and have heavily relied on eBay to help complete my collections and find other US exclusive items. Now, figures and other toys that SHOULD be costing me about $28 CAD in total are priced after shipping and "import fees" around $50 CAD! That is unbelievable! Nearly double what I would have paid using eBay before this Global Shipping Scam showed up. I have never been charged a dime ONCE by Canadian Customs for buying toys, even hundreds of dollars worth from Amazon Japan. When I find a $5-$15 figure I want but don't want to end up paying $25-$35 for it after shipping, I make an attempt to ask the seller to sell to me outside of the GSP but I'm told it just can't be done. This is so incredibly frustrating. I've been a loyal buyer and occasional seller here on eBay for 16 years now, and I feel like I'm just getting iced out. It seems like as the months pass, more and more sellers are using the dang GSP and I absolutely REFUSE to buy anything at all through that wretched program. This thread has been going since 2013 and the GSP is STILL running? I've read practically nothing but complaints on this entire thread. eBay, Pitney Bowes: You're screwing both yourselves and International buyers with this program. Non-Americans who are wise to the GSP have already run for the hills. Do you not need our business? Are we just a blip on your cash-cow radar?  What's the deal, yo? If you really want my input, Kalvin- shut it the down. How long do you really expect people to put up with this?

Message 4479 of 6,171
latest reply

Cancel this ridiculous scam fee. First time I ever paid for it, it didn't even cover customs! I was double dinged when my package got to the door.

The only way this could have happened was if the seller sent to you direct, ignoring the GSP. You are blaming the wrong person.

If this happens it is possible to reclaim the GSP charges. Not easy but possible.

Message 4480 of 6,171
latest reply