Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

I would like to buy a pair of earrings to be shipped to canada from US

trying to determine the cost of shipping

Please help me

Message 5681 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi, the shipping costs are $16.83 USD per the ebay shipping calculator to Canada (to my postal code at least). It does say those costs could be subject to change upon checkout and there will be import charges due up front also. Unfortunately, until you hit the buy it now button , no one is going to know what the actual confirmed shipping and import costs are (they should be around the $16.83 showing in the ebay calculator but I can't guarantee that). The Seller does not have access to any of this information - he/she is basically making a "local" sale to the USA - he/she ships the item to the GSP center in Kentucky  and then the GSP people fill out all the customs forms and create a shipping label to you in Canada and pay the duty and taxes that they have collected off of you already and ship the package to you in Canada. 

Message 5682 of 6,171
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

Hi, the shipping costs are $16.83 USD per the ebay shipping calculator to Canada (to my postal code at least). It does say those costs could be subject to change upon checkout and there will be import charges due up front also. Unfortunately, until you hit the buy it now button , no one is going to know what the actual confirmed shipping and import costs are (they should be around the $16.83 showing in the ebay calculator but I can't guarantee that). 

What I see on the listing page is a shipping charge of US$16.83 with no import charges.  Since the earrings are selling for US$48, this means that the import charges are added to the shipping charge.

Others who have purchased items above the C$20 tax/duty-free threshold from GSP listings with no "import charges" levied by Pitney Bowes have reported that there are no additional charges for taxes, duty, processing, what have you after the purchase has been finalised.

Message 5683 of 6,171
latest reply

That's good to know ! 🙂

Message 5684 of 6,171
latest reply

arlene_v
Community Member

I only buy very rarely these days on eBay but decided  to look for a particular item here yesterday that would have cost me $340 Canadian  had I bought it here in Ottawa. I checked Amazon and other online venues and the prices were all in the same ballpark. 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find the item listed here, (brand new and unopened),  and even though it is listed through the GSP it is still going to cost a LOT less ...$127 Canadian (including shipping and  import charges)

Crossing fingers all goes smoothly with the transaction.  If it does it might really have me buying here a bit more often again for prices like this. 

Message 5685 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised to find the item listed here, (brand new and unopened),  and even though it is listed through the GSP it is still going to cost a LOT less ...$127 Canadian (including shipping and  import charges)

Crossing fingers all goes smoothly with the transaction.  If it does it might really have me buying here a bit more often again for prices like this. 

Another  fallen soldier.   🙂 

Message 5686 of 6,171
latest reply

I have bought many items over the years but am cutting back significantly due to the Global Shipping program . There is nothing positive to say about it other than is a money grab and a total rip off . If it is not shipped via usps i avoid buying . Right off the bat with Global which I understand is part of ebay I am paying extra fees for insurance and supposed other fees for hidden charges which are seldom incurred when going with usps . Recently I paid 20 US for a light pool rack and paid 33 US for shipping with 50% of that fee for extra services which I had no option to decline.

Message 5687 of 6,171
latest reply

As well in addition to the outrageous charges  , i forgot to mention GPS usually takes twice as long to receive  . I am still waiting 2 weeks and counting for an item when I just received another item ordered at the same time and shipped through USPS OVER 1 WEEK AGO AND SELLERS SHIPPED AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.

Message 5688 of 6,171
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@arlene_v wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised to find the item listed here, (brand new and unopened),  and even though it is listed through the GSP it is still going to cost a LOT less ...$127 Canadian (including shipping and  import charges)

Another  fallen soldier.   🙂 

More like someone who knows how to use the program to her advantage. It makes sense to list (and purchase) a heavy and expensive item with the GSP. It does not make any sense whatsoever to list postcards and other similar small lightweight items with the GSP. Yet I keep coming across that dreaded "customs services and international tracking provided" blurb in my searches. I don't buy much here anymore either. It's a shame because it used to be a fun part of my day to come here and search for treasures.

Message 5689 of 6,171
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:
It does not make any sense whatsoever to list postcards and other similar small lightweight items with the GSP. Yet I keep coming across that dreaded "customs services and international tracking provided" blurb in my searches. I don't buy much here anymore either. It's a shame because it used to be a fun part of my day to come here and search for treasures.

When you're getting items like postcards listed with the GSP, my thinking is that the sellers aren't aware that their items have had the GSP auto-applied to them by eBay, or else they really don't know how inappropriate it is for their items.

Have you noticed any difference in the number of postcard listings available to Canada now compared to before the inception of the GSP, 00nevermind00?

Message 5690 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

When you're getting items like postcards listed with the GSP, my thinking is that the sellers aren't aware that their items have had the GSP auto-applied to them by eBay, or else they really don't know how inappropriate it is for their items.

That is probably what happens in a number of cases, but I've seen sellers who state in their listings that international shipping is through the GSP only (I even messaged one to ask about the possibility of direct shipping and never received a reply.) So some know that they are using the program. Maybe they don't realize what the cost is to buyers. Or they do know and simply don't care, because they view any international sale as an added bonus.

Most buyers will balk at a $2.00 postcard with $16.00+ shipping, whether or not the seller knows about the GSP.

@marnotom! wrote:

Have you noticed any difference in the number of postcard listings available to Canada now compared to before the inception of the GSP, 00nevermind00?

I used the word "postcard" as a sort of generic term for anything very small and lightweight. It could be a small photo, a ticket stub to a concert or a sporting event, a thin fashion bracelet, stuff like that.

It would be difficult to answer your question with any accuracy anyway because it is likely that the number of listings in that category (and in others) has increased overall. Also, the Cassini search engine doesn't always give a buyer access to all the listings that could be available (I simply do not understand the reasoning behind this, but I digress.) All this to say that IMO this would be an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Message 5691 of 6,171
latest reply

arlene_v
Community Member

I posted here a few days ago about a recent transaction through the GSP that saved me over two hundred dollars compared with local prices and on other online venues. 

Item has been received, within a week of the initial order through the GSP.  The tracking was meticulous (this has certainly improved since the last time I bought something through the GSP).

I'm impressed with how well this transaction has gone.

I know that for many, many items the GSP is a dismal failure, a colossal mismatch, and this has driven frustrated buyers (and this includes me) away from this site.

However, when the right item is listed correctly by a competent seller, this program actually works very well, and can potentially save one a fair amount of money.

So, when buying brand new, bulky items I think I will do a quick search here in future just to scope out items listed under the GSP. Nothing to lose. 

Message 5692 of 6,171
latest reply

Exactly.

I have only ever purchased 2 items through the GSP since its introduction. I only used it when it made sense to, and even then I carefully weighed my options before deciding whether or not it was worth it. Both times it worked out in my favour.
Message 5693 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

So, when buying brand new, bulky items I think I will do a quick search here in future just to scope out items listed under the GSP. Nothing to lose. 

The item doesn't necessarily have to be bulky, either.  Cell phones generally weigh less than 300 grams when packaged, but shipping them from the GSP is usually a more attractive option cost-wise (particularly if the seller offers "free" shipping within the United States) than heavily tracked mail or courier.

Message 5694 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't come here very often so I don't know if Canadian buyers are still posting about GSP issues the way they used to or if there are fewer complaints about the GSP.

I've posted a number of time that the numbers just don't add up and this started some months ago.

That is:  While the amount billed by Pitney-Bowes was excessively high for many years, recently the amount billed by P-B is not nearly enough to cover shipping costs, handling fees, plus tax and or duty.

In fact, for many listings GSP fees are now barely cover actual shipping costs.

Clearly something happened.  How can the GSP function without collecting enough money to cover shipping costs and import fees let alone a fee for the service?

I can't be the only wondering about this issue.

Message 5695 of 6,171
latest reply

Came here to complain about the GSP and how there is NO combined shipping option.

How absurd and ridiculous! This program has been out for years and this still hasn't been developed?

Bought two identical items from the same seller on separate auctions and I incur 30$ shipping on each. I recommend everyone to avoid this program. It's unethical to charge so much and irresponsible (think of the environment) to force the seller to package it separately.  

Now eBay has one **bleep** off customer who will never again purchase from a seller using the GSP. 

Message 5696 of 6,171
latest reply

You are absolutely right.

Your best bet when the shipping will be out of hand like this is to politely ask the seller for cancellation of both sales and giving your reason as the shipping overcharge by the Global Shipping Program.

If you really want the item, asking the seller politely if he would be willing to set up a private listing for you of the two items with appropriate shipping.

• The most effective way to set up the listing, in my opinion, is as Fixed Price and using your eBay ID as the title(which is unlikely to be a Search).
  • The seller can still use the GSP, which is a Seller Protection Program after all, but with just one listing, there would be just one charge. Caveat. Can both items ship in one box? Because otherwise Murphy's Law would kick in.
  • He may prefer to use https://ircalc.usps.com/

There is a fair chance that the seller would agree because any sale that incurs $30 in shipping charges is not one a seller would like to lose.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 5697 of 6,171
latest reply

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

Hi  there, is it possible to eliminate  sellers   who  subscribe to global shipping somewhere in the search.  I am generally fed up when I find something and  finding that the seller is subscribed to global shipping. Thanks

Message 5698 of 6,171
latest reply

@1986puma wrote:
Hi  there, is it possible to eliminate  sellers   who  subscribe to global shipping somewhere in the search.  I am generally fed up when I find something and  finding that the seller is subscribed to global shipping. Thanks

Lots of people wish for that, a filter to screen out GSP items.  There is none and I do not believe ever will be.  EBay likes the GSP.  The only way you can even try to avoid them is to set up your search with LIST VIEW not Gallery, and stay clear of the GSP warnings: 

ebay list view.jpg

then scroll past:

avoid gsp.jpg

You can also try to buy from Canada only.  That is guaranteed to be a GSP-free shopping experience.  🙂

ebay location.jpg

Message 5699 of 6,171
latest reply

Overpriced, lengthy delays, items stuck in customs when the whole point of paying extra fees is to prevent that. This month it's been 3 weeks for a set of books from Cali to southern BC. The parcel is sent clear across to Kentucky, then up to ON or PQ, then back across Canada. This is the 3rd and final order we will place with GSP, and possibly Ebay. We should be given the choice of accepting this farce!

Sorry, but I haven't found anything constructive to recommend, other than tossing GSP. The tracking email link doesn't even show tracking past the border, other than to say "CA" 😕  Too much money for too little service. 

Message 5700 of 6,171
latest reply