Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

buurin
Community Member

I REALLY need help, need a human contact to talk to, and ebay's site is sending me in circles.

I bought an iMac G4 part and seller shipped via GSP. Well I actually bought another iMac part from him and that first one arrived fine, too costly import charges aside. But this one, it looks like Canada Post has misdelivered it - tracking showed delivered on 9/18 but nothing arrived at my doorsteps that day. I contacted seller and he gave me the GSP support line to Pitney Bowes. I called them then Canada Post who pointed me back to the seller

I can't find this contact directly on ebay and since tracking shows delivered, I can't even open an INR case. Do I now have to open a SNAD case and actually say Canada Post lost it?

Message 3801 of 6,171
latest reply

The import/non taxable limit for gifts is only $60 yet some people seem to think that it is limitless. Personally, I think that a customs officer is more likely to look more closely at a gift, especially if it has a business type label on it.

This 'gift' business seems to be a near universally held misconception. The real figure that matters is the declared value.

The first time I saw a customs form, it thought,  'This makes all packets a thieves buffet table, it's just too easy to pick the tastiest morsels' so every one of the over 40,000 items I sold went out labeled as near as possible to 'Completely Boring Rubbish' valued at 'Not worth Stealing'.

Not a problem in over a decade, and a loss rate around 1 in 500 packages.

I am just about to send a small gift to someone. I will mark it as merchandise with a modest value; no-one believes 'gift'.

Message 3802 of 6,171
latest reply

and since tracking shows delivered, I can't even open an INR case

You can open such a case, and say, delivered, possibly, but not to you.

Since this will be routed to the GSP rather than the seller, you stand a good chance of a refund. It's hard to be sure but either they have better ways of tracking packages or they have a policy of believing the buyer, knowing full well that deliveries do got to the wrong houses.

Message 3803 of 6,171
latest reply

not happy with the global shipping program. MY MAIN ISSUE WITH THE PROGRAM IS THE PARAMETERS ARE TO STRICT, EG

I SELL A ITEM TO GERMANY FOR 20.00 THE COST TO SEND IT TRACKED IS MORE THAN THE VALUE OF THE ITEM  WHICH THE CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT TO PAY OR IN SOME CASES IS NOT OFFERED BECAUSE OF SIZE (EG PADDED ENVELOPE ) IT TAKES FOR WHATEVER REASON MORE THAN 30 DAYS TO REACH CUSTOMER , IN THE MEANTIME CUSTOMER HAS STARTED 

CLAIM FOR NON RECEIPT AND I AM RED FLAGGED AND MY ACCOUNT IS FROZEN , SURELY THIS POLICY CAN BE CHANGED, I SHIP THE ITEM AT MY RISK UN-TRACKED , FOR THE CUSTOMER IS PROTECTED ANYWAY WITH YOUR BUYER PROTECTION , THE GUY THAT LOSES IS THE SELLER . 

Message 3804 of 6,171
latest reply

"I SELL A ITEM TO GERMANY FOR 20.00 THE COST TO SEND IT TRACKED IS MORE THAN THE VALUE OF THE ITEM"

???

You are located in Kingston, Ontario.  As such you do not ship through Global Shipping.  It is only available to American sellers.

Message 3805 of 6,171
latest reply

"not happy with the global shipping program"

As stated earlier, on another thread, you are in Canada and, as such, not eligible to the Global Shipping Program.  It does NOT affect you as a seller.

Message 3806 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"not happy with the global shipping program"

As stated earlier, on another thread, you are in Canada and, as such, not eligible to the Global Shipping Program.  It does NOT affect you as a seller.

Can a US seller opt NOT to use this program?

Now back to my first question, what is the number to call if I as a buyer have an item going through GSP lost in transit?

Message 3807 of 6,171
latest reply

"Can a US seller opt NOT to use this program?"

Yes.

"what is the number to call if I as a buyer have an item going through GSP lost in transit?"

Do not waste your time calling.  File a claim with PayPal for both charges (the item and the import charge).  Let the system handle it from there.

Message 3808 of 6,171
latest reply

Just received my .230 kg parcel 29 cm x 23 cm x 8 cm; cost me $28 yet the actual cost of shipping from Ontario to my house was $13.45.  I absolutely refuse to buy from a seller who uses this service from now on.  Who's making the profit now.  Yes, I am sure she had to send it to Canada from the states but this is a total rip off and joke.  eBay, you have kicked yourself good on this one!   Like to know who got the extra $14.....just bought roughly the same amount from other buyer and was charged $13.00 which is appropriate.

Message 3809 of 6,171
latest reply

This program is a piece of garbage. I purchase small objects (>$15) from the US, I am not paying $25-30 in 'import and shipping fees'. The import fees are a lottery, and even if Customs decides to ding my package, the fee is less than they are charging in the 'imports' section. It also does not cost anywhere near the shipping total they quote to get it here. If eBay's goal was to alienate international sellers, then congratulations, they have done so. I would suggest they leave the option of its use open to the buyer, and not the seller. I refuse to pay more for shipping and import than the cost of the item, and as such, I have resorted to other avenues of purchase. I am not the only one... this needs to be scrapped, or undergo major changes.
Message 3810 of 6,171
latest reply

I'll only pay for USPS shipping, so any sellers that won't switch from the GSP  have lost a sale. But in fairness to them, I read this:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html  Now that's a laugh and a half!!! Maybe from their end, this seems like a wonderful choice  - hey, who wouldn't want "International shipping experts manage the international shipping and customs process and send the item to the buyer." LMAO, are these the experts that are in such a rush that they can't repackage the items properly? And the import charges don't show up on the 'My Feed' page with GSP, so that's always entertaining too. US sellers will notice a trend if we all inquire about the shipping before bidding, and then refuse to bid on GSP items. Maybe someday they'll have a thread on their discussion board, moaning about the loss of international buyers - and then all the USPS supporting sellers can explain it to them. 

Message 3811 of 6,171
latest reply

• Nothing as I haven't and will not purchase through the GSP - as soon as I see it, I move on
  • Eliminate it, or at least really and truly educate U.S. sellers what they are getting into - from what I've heard some just join  up and don't really know what they're getting into.
  • Many of my Saved Sellers in the U.S. who I ordered from on a regular basis have opted to join the program and consequently, for the items I regularly purchase from them, it's just not worth the extra $ - crazy.  I did contact one of them and she said she didn't really know what she was signing up for and is losing her Canadian Customers.  At the present time she is looking into opting out.
  • Is there a search I can do specially to eliminate GSP sellers? 
Message 3812 of 6,171
latest reply

I just purchased a dress and somehow ended up with an invoice for shipping via International Priority Shipping USPS:

US $5.95.

Yet the amount I had to pay through the Global Shipping was:

US $10.96 for International Priority shipping plus Import charges of US $6.40 for a total of US $17.36.

The dress cost me an extra US $11.41 all because of Global Shipping.

When I think of all the money I've wasted on Global Shipping I could scream!!!

Come on eBay, is this REALLY a good program???

IT SUCKS!!!!

Message 3813 of 6,171
latest reply

So this is my NIGHTMARE OF A TALE regarding International Shipping EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM.

5+ Hours on the phone & 1 Month (would have been far longer if i had waited)

Anyone else get the cold shoulder from EBAY on this???

I CAN HELP YOU BELOW - DONT LISTEN TO EBAY when they say to wait 24-72 hours. DONT WAIT! ACT NOW!

CANCEL THE TRANSACTION RIGHT AWAY AND VOID THE SHIPPING BILL (IF IT IS STILL ON ITS WAY TO GLOBAL SHIPPER IN ERLANGER) - (says Pitney bowes) (goto your shipping labels - then void it. and then cancel the transaction. Explain to your buyer. CALL Pitney bowes. (number below).

I Sent the wrong item - Called ebay next morning advised them of situation - EBAY rep told me they would contact Pitney Bowes (global shipper) and have it returned since i called so quickly, (had 2 days before reached pitney bowes) instead they didnt. I waited - Never got replay - contacted 2 more times. Nothing. Pitney Bowes shipped to canada wrong item. Relisted item for buyer so he wouldnt have to be dragged through the dirt with me. Got correct item to him and he received (TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS). Hes paid twice for the items shipping and still has the original item i shipped. 

Ebay was going to have someone contact me - Never stopped the shipment. Pitney bowes said they never received a stop.

5 calls. (ebay says - wait 24 - 72 hours each time), 15 transfers, 25 explanations.....

1 month later still nothing - So i made a call to pitney bowes...On phone now with ebay and pitney (pitney had to hang up cause she was on hold for 30mins with me) - 1.5HOUR wait time after i talked to someone who transfered me twice - THINK THEY MIGHT TRY TO WAIT ME OFF THE PHONE?

I talked to pitney Bowes rep who CONTACT ME TWICE during this 1.5hour call, to see if EBAY was helping me or not,  Shame on ebay for this wait time (est 5 hours of on the phone for this one problem), she filed a complaint to ebay regarding this so i would get help, said it might take 3-7 days.

Your call is very important to us, says the ebay wait time..... starting to think twice. Normally, THEY HELP ME.... this time... rough...

First time i contact ebay they said - no worries - we will take care of everything if anything happen on the shippers (pitney bowes) end. They would refund if anything happens, and remove any negative feedback. WELL....

Now ebay is claiming that Pitney Bowes should have helped me, Pitney Bowes said they dont handle any claims, refund, nor returns.

ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER AT EBAY!!!!! My first mistake was not asking for one. I finally asked for one - waited 5mins more and  LEADERSHIP TEAM ADVISOR came on the line. She gave me a $14.75 credit (1 week wait) for (the wrong item that got sent to buyer) and claimed my buyer would still have to call ebay to get shipping refund. (HOW LONG WILL HE HAVE TO WAIT)  Leadership team member told me to PAY THE BUYER BACK HIS SHIPPING WITH SOME OF THE MONEY WE REFUND YOU!

......................are you kidding me!..............

Leader told me that they cant CANCEL it in route.

Im not going to say she lied, but she  "STATED INCORRECTLY".

VOID THE SHIPMENT LABEL and CANCEL EBAY TRANSACTION is what the Pitney Bowes Rep told me - And they CAN stop it. And they will return to you.!!! 

So this is my NIGHTMARE OF A TALE regarding International Shipping.

CONTACT PITNEY BOWES

866-235-9627

Hope this helps everyone else that doesnt seem to be getting help.

WAIT OUT THE PHONE LINES! Play a game while waiting.

Or - learn all the customs forms. Seems like that would have been easier and taken less time....

Message 3814 of 6,171
latest reply

I will turn away from a listing 90% of the time as soon as I see Import Charges. This is an outrageous ripoff. 

I calculated ebay is adding 19% for import fees. If Canadian Costumes decided to charge me, it is 15% and they rarely add that to postage anyway. Don't conform to this overcharging thievery. 

Message 3815 of 6,171
latest reply

eBay is not adding anything. PB is collecting any fees, duty, taxes, and remitting it.
Photobucket
Message 3816 of 6,171
latest reply

The program is available to American sellers (not Canadians).

As such, I do not expect too many of them to read your post on eBay.ca.

If you feel strongly about it, you should post on eBay.com

Before you do, make sure to get your facts straight.  "I calculated ebay is adding 19% for import fees"  While that 19% addition for taxes and brokerage fee may be correct for that listing, it will be different for others. 

Keep in mind that Canada Post charges $9.95 administration fee every time a parcel comes in from outside Canada and taxes (calculated by Canada Customs) are collected on it.  Pitney Bowes charges about $4/$5

Message 3817 of 6,171
latest reply

"Turning away" from listings with GSP is irresponsible. many sellers do not even know they are in the program. When they accepted the updated User Agreement, they were automatically enrolled in GSP, administered by PB.

Imagine the panic of US Only sellers who were suddenly getting worldwide requests.

They did not select into GSP, as it is a default setting, they need to de-select to get out.  Communicate with the American seller, first, to see if they are even aware that they are in the program. A program which eBay started to get more American sellers to sell outside the US.

Photobucket
Message 3818 of 6,171
latest reply

The GSP has been around (for US sellers only) for quite a long time.  I'm surprised this is the first time you've run into it because, as Mr. Elmwood says, US sellers were opted in as a default, and many of them -- believe it or not -- have no idea what buyers outside of the US are seeing on the shipping portion of the listings and paying as a result. 

Since it's not available to Canadian sellers (and likely never will be), it's not an issue to sellers here.   

However, speaking as an occasional buyer from US eBay sellers, I find the best thing to do is to ask in advance of making a purchase, whether the seller would be willing to opt out of the programme for that item.  Be prepared though, that some US sellers know nothing about the GSP (that eBay has railroaded them into), and have no idea how to opt out for a particular item. 

Quite honestly, this is only worthwhile for items under about $120-150 US.  I find that items of such value will usually -- not always -- get through Canada Customs (CBSA) without being taxed.  For items of greater value, you're going to get "dinged" anyway, so you might as well buy through the GSP, which will charge you more or less exactly what CBSA + Canada Post would charge you if the parcel went the normal USPS route.  So, with higher value items, it's pretty much a wash.  With items under $150 in value, it's hard to predict.  With items valued below about $50, it's going to be more expensive for Canadian buyers almost all the time. 

If you put "GSP" into the search box on these Canadian discussion boards, you'll find a great deal of comment on how the GSP has been received by Canadian buyers -- not very well, generally speaking, although I think it's fair to say that many posters have not fully understood the programme. 

Message 3819 of 6,171
latest reply

By the way, the "PB" that Mr. E. refers to is "Pitney-Bowes". 

They are the ones making the money off the GSP, as they charge a fee for calculating and processing the customs charges (HST/GST for Canadians) on each parcel.  My guess is that eBay is also making money somewhere off this scheme, but we'll likely never know.  

CBSA (i.e. the Canadian federal government) is probably tickled pink, as the money is flowing in to them without having to hire any extra agents or do any work in handling the parcels themselves. 

Take our advice, and if you're buying something from a US seller that's priced under about $50-100, ask them before you purchase if they can opt out of the GSP for that listing.  I believe that usually means ending the listing and re-listing using a standard USPS shipping charge.  As I said, not all sellers will be able or willing to do this though.  

Message 3820 of 6,171
latest reply