Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

I am sure that PB is sending the correct amount of tax and duty to the Canadian gov't and is not doing anything illegal in that sense.

However, due to the way that things are set up, I suspect that there are cases when the buyer pays more than what the Canadian gov't requires. In those cases, PB may submit what is really owed...not what was actually paid. As they don't refund overpayments and don't specify what exactly the buyer is being charged for, it wouldn't be illegal for them to keep the extra money.

Obviously I am saying that this could happen but I don't know that it actually does happen as I don't know exactly how PB handles it from their end. But regardless,  it should be possible for ebay to set up the listings so that the correct amount is always (or almost always) being charged, but they don't seem to think that it is a priority.

Message 3621 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Is the fact no evidence exists a valid reason to question everyone's honesty? No.  Then why question Pitney Bowes?

There are many problems with GSP.  One of them is lack of clarity with amounts charged by PB and paid through PayPal. That problem creates another one: the lack of system allowing importers (buyers) to claim refunds for classification errors (regardless whose fault it is).

I think that posts constantly implying dishonesty or criminal activities by anyone do not help advance the discussion.

After a while, eBay, PayPal and Pitney Bowes simply tune out.

Well, at Tim Hortons or Walmart there's a predictable nature to the tax I am paying, in other words, tax charged correlates with what I expect.

So if it's supposed to be say 13%, it's that down to the last cent.

Now with items under the GSP, on the other hand, one sees wild variations in import charges between virtually identical items.

Here are two good examples.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111428537716?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111428537315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Unlike you, I completely understand why folks suggest  dishonesty.

When there is such lack of clarity with a program, and the program defaults to the most onerous tax and duty calculation for buyers, and in addition has rather serious programming issues, these are red flags. 

This lack of clarity becomes increasingly problematic.

So, I  find posts that refuse to examine the potential for "abuse" that is inherent in such a program rather naive. If I can spot the potential for a wonderful windfall of cash, surely a half competent customs broker hired by PB can as well?

Message 3622 of 6,171
latest reply

However, due to the way that things are set up, I suspect that there are cases when the buyer pays more than what the Canadian gov't requires. In those cases, PB may submit what is really owed...not what was actually paid

They'd use the same software to prepare the cargo manifest as they use to calculate the import charges on the listing. It may well be that in some cases the charge collected is too high, but since the only way of determining this would be an incredible amount of detail work on every item, at huge labour cost, I'd bet money that any overcharges are simply paid at the border/point of entry as part of the total clearance charge and no one on the remitting end or the receiving end are all that bothered about a few dollars either way. It's possible that any undercharges balance out any overcharges, in the long run.

Message 3623 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

However, due to the way that things are set up, I suspect that there are cases when the buyer pays more than what the Canadian gov't requires. In those cases, PB may submit what is really owed...not what was actually paid

They'd use the same software to prepare the cargo manifest as they use to calculate the import charges on the listing. It may well be that in some cases the charge collected is too high, but since the only way of determining this would be an incredible amount of detail work on every item, at huge labour cost, I'd bet money that any overcharges are simply paid at the border/point of entry as part of the total clearance charge and no one on the remitting end or the receiving end are all that bothered about a few dollars either way. It's possible that any undercharges balance out any overcharges, in the long run.

Well, at the moment they are opening parcels without Place of Manufacture info.  That is pretty labour intensive. Food for thought, they would rather do this than make programing changes.

A few dollars on every item? How about 18% in some cases? But you used the words "I'd bet money" so clearly you are no more sure of this than anyone on this thread.

As mentioned earlier, this is all speculation, and I am sufficiently skkeptical to believe that all of this "incompetence" might well be built into the program, and is quite deliberate. .

Message 3624 of 6,171
latest reply

By the way, PB,  feel free to hire me ... I can  glance at a list of items and save $$ for you in mere minutes.

Message 3625 of 6,171
latest reply

Here is a new twist, to be announced today by eBay.  Are you ready?

eBay is also introducing a new version of the Global Shipping Program that will apply to all sellers on an "opt-out" basis. Basically eBay will add an international priority shipping option to all sellers' listings for buyers in 10 countries whose buyers primarily shop on eBay in English: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Singapore, Ireland, South Africa, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, and Mexico.

I am not sure what they are drinking/smoking in San Jose but, whatever it is, it should not be consumed in offices during business hours.

Message 3626 of 6,171
latest reply

"apply to all sellers on an "opt-out" basis"

Translation - sellers have no reason to opt out since whatever additional costs are involved using "international priority" service are all charged to the buyer.

It is getting from bad to worse.

Instead of concentrating their efforts on solving some of the problems with GSP, eBay is making it more expensive for buyers.

Message 3627 of 6,171
latest reply

"Instead of concentrating their efforts on solving some of the problems with GSP, eBay is making it more expensive for buyers."

Been saying this since I first noticed the program.  Have not purchased from any sellers using this because it is waaaaaay too expensive on the shipping end.  Forcing priority shipping when First Class will suffice is brutal.

It's really hit-and-miss when asking sellers to ship First Class instead.  My success is ~ 20% pre-bid. If the "change" indeed happens, I'll be bidding even less.

Message 3628 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"apply to all sellers on an "opt-out" basis"

Translation - sellers have no reason to opt out since whatever additional costs are involved using "international priority" service are all charged to the buyer.

It is getting from bad to worse.

Instead of concentrating their efforts on solving some of the problems with GSP, eBay is making it more expensive for buyers.

If this means what I think it means, then GSP will again become the only option for buyers in these "lucky"(!) countries when a whole bunch of sellers become once again opted in without being told. Am I reading this right? Say it ain't so, Joe!

I really, really have to wonder what is in that GSP contract between eBay and PB that seems to force eBay to ram the thing down the throats of unsuspecting and/or unwilling sellers. If my understanding is correct, then this is a huge step backwards for buyers. Obviously eBay hasn't been listening to anything we have said over the past 18 or so months. Glaring flaws still haven't been fixed, and likely never will be because the only people who care are the international buyers and they obviously don't seem to matter much to eBay. Yet this program will become even more intrusive. I sure hope they're not also going to get rid of the "Customs services and international tracking provided" blurb which allows us to bypass GSP listings! That would be the last straw.

BTW, I totally agree with Arlene's point that the lack of transparency about the way the tax is collected/remitted (and a bunch of other aspect of this ill-conceived program) leaves the door wide open for accusations of scam, rip-off, etc. Although probably unfounded, those accusations are well-deserved because of that continued lack of transparency.

Just my two cents worth, which is probably worth that much and not more.

Message 3629 of 6,171
latest reply

If this means what I think it means, then GSP will again become the only option for buyers in these "lucky"(!) countries when a whole bunch of sellers become once again opted in without being told. Am I reading this right? Say it ain't so, Joe!

If a seller had previously opted out of the gsp they won't be opted in again.  But I have no idea how many sellers opted out before so I suspect that the U.S listings will be even more overwhelmed with gsp listings than they are now.

Message 3630 of 6,171
latest reply

The way I read it, the "opting out" applies to the method of shipping (Priority International) NOT to GSP.

Message 3631 of 6,171
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If a seller had previously opted out of the gsp they won't be opted in again.  But I have no idea how many sellers opted out before so I suspect that the U.S listings will be even more overwhelmed with gsp listings than they are now.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the previous posts about this new expansion to the GSP so bear with me here.

Is it possible that with eBay/PBI expanding this that the sellers in these expanded countries if they knowingly enroll (what are the chances of that) in this will be sending all their sales to a central location in each country which as we know is not the most efficiently run place on the planet. As well will this mean that for example a Canadian buyer purchases an item from a Canadian seller who is enrolled in this program the program fees (and taxes) will be added increasing the overall cost to the item making it in a sense no longer competitive.

If this is correct then maybe this is eBay's/PBI's answer to the drop in GSP sales because buyers are going elsewhere.

If I am not correct and am looking too much into this I apologize.

Message 3632 of 6,171
latest reply

It looks like eBay's communications about the GSP are about as clear as the program itself. I wonder if someone is getting paid to purposely obfuscate the issue...

Pierre, I can't find a link to that announcement. Can you provide one? Whatever it is, I doubt that it's good news for international buyers but I'd like to read it for myself.

Message 3633 of 6,171
latest reply

Here it is:  http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/selling-across-borders-details.html

There is a lot of "stuff" to read in the latest Fall Update.  Get a large cup of coffee and enjoy!

Message 3634 of 6,171
latest reply

For all changes included in the Fall Update, it may be easier for members to visit the thread dealing specifically with the Fall Update:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Updates/2014-Fall-Seller-Update/m-p/257599#U257599

Message 3635 of 6,171
latest reply

Oh boy, aren't we lucky to have so many more potential  buying opportunities.
I'm quite verklempt.
Message 3636 of 6,171
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

Oh boy, aren't we lucky to have so many more potential  buying opportunities.
I'm quite verklempt.

I know...it sort of makes you want to hug ebay in thanks.

(sarcasm smiley)

Message 3637 of 6,171
latest reply

FAQ   

Will this update apply to listings from all sellers?

This update will only apply to eligible listings from sellers who are not already opted in or opted out of the Global Shipping Program. It will not apply to listings where the seller has already specified an international shipping option or where the seller has specifically excluded buyers from these countries.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/selling-across-borders-details.html

Obviously that just applies to U.S. sellers.

(But did you hear that the UK are starting a global shipping program too)

Message 3638 of 6,171
latest reply

So why don't I get a receipt for what I have paid in taxes and duty? Many of us could use this official tax receipt.

There is a claim of tracking. Good luck with that and good luck with stuff arriving anywhere near the claimed delivery date, Usually double  it. I personally like to let sellers know I would far rather they use another shipping service.

@afantiques wrote:

Buyers are under the impression the "fees" are to pay taxes, in most cases that are not required..

Items are shipped as freight and the import tax rules are strictly followed. People who are used to getting items sent by post with a much laxer collection regime are the ones saying the taxes are not required, but this is solely due to their misunderstanding of the import process.

Message 3639 of 6,171
latest reply

Don't worry folks, it is making a difference, when I call a seller in the US and explain, the ones that sell allot have noticed a big decline in sales out of country, especially out of Canada, and mist didnt realize there is a checkmark to take out. People who know will just buy elsewhere
Message 3640 of 6,171
latest reply