Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

The eBay global shipping program is a complete waste of time and money. It would be practical if you had the option at checkout to retain the seller as exporter rather than **bleep**ney Bowe**bleep**.  GSP, it's garbage.
Love,
A Canadian

Message 3741 of 6,171
latest reply

I used to buy all sorts of stuff through Ebay. I moved to Canada about a year ago and noticed import charges added lately. I won't buy from sellers that have this bogus import charge. I don't have to pay import/duty on most items and this charge is just so your third party can make a buck off these transactions. Very disappointed in these charges....just buy from websites now where I'm not charged added duty. Too bad, I liked Ebay.

Message 3742 of 6,171
latest reply

I deleted at least 10 items on my watch list now because the seller uses Global Shipping. To me that's 10 potential sales that will not happen, it's a shame, some of them were buy it now. I guess the money stays in my pocket.

Message 3743 of 6,171
latest reply

$27 dollars shipping through the Global Shipping program for a deck of cards from Montana to British Columbia?...Another potential sale down the drain for Ebay and their sellers...In the last two days I have declined to purchase over 15 items because the seller is dealing with Global Shipping...I will NO LONGER make purchases from sellers dealing with Global shipping.

Message 3744 of 6,171
latest reply

Tell the US boards what you think. The US sellers are the ones that need to know

Message 3745 of 6,171
latest reply

Just wanted to add my two cents thats I will not be buying from anyone using GSP. In fact due the prevalence of the number of sellers using this program I expect to be making significantly less purchases from ebay in the future.

Message 3746 of 6,171
latest reply

Every time you see something you want listed by a seller using GPS take the time to explain this BS extortion to him.I find many sellers have no idea of this robbery as they do not even see the numbers appearing in their listings as Canadian buyers do. Why act as a volunteer tax collector for a foreign government or corporation? No taxation without representation eh? I find many American sellers are happy to sell by good old USPS and leave any duties and taxes the responsibility of the buyer.

Take the time to explain this rip off to US sellers at every opportunity. They don't like being used either.

Message 3747 of 6,171
latest reply

Every time you see something you want listed by a seller using GPS take the time to explain this BS extortion to him.I find many sellers have no idea of this robbery as they do not even see the numbers appearing in their listings as Canadian buyers do. Why act as a volunteer tax collector for a foreign government or corporation? No taxation without representation eh? I find many American sellers are happy to sell by good old USPS and leave any duties and taxes the responsibility of the buyer.
Take the time to explain this rip off to US sellers at every opportunity. They don't like being used either.
Message 3748 of 6,171
latest reply

My Purchase is lost some where in the Global Shipping Program - They gave me a tracking number that tells me only that multiple carriers are handling my order. Now it is past the expected delivery date for my package ( of which I have paid $ 403.88 to have delivered to me on time) and I have already contacted the SELLER who kindly responded to me and told me that the package was delivered to the E/bay Global Shipping Program and that I should contact them - So where is the link on Ebay for me to inform the GSP before the situation escalates further?? Apparently, the next step requires me to open a claim via 'Pay Pal' before the 45 days from date of payment expires on September 13, 2014 - This information is then sent to the seller for their response - However, as I stated above, the seller already knows about status of my order. I certainly do not think it is good business for a buyer to be required to do the leg-work when trying to find a missing order that was paid for up front! Certainily these responsibilities belong to the seller and/or the vacillator of the transaction (namley Ebay) to provide a proper path of transport to the BUYER,and to handle any problems that may arise! I just want my order! Regards, 2009ilikebuyingstuff
Message 3749 of 6,171
latest reply

The thing to do is to open that PP claim now and escalate it as soon as you can. There is nothing useful your seller can do and they will not lose the money for the item, although the money may be on hold for a week or so.

The refund will come from the GSP and may well come as two parts a few days apart.,

Message 3750 of 6,171
latest reply

I have read several postings relating to the import charges Ebay imposes on US purchases made by Canadian buyers, but it is the first time that I have become aware of the issue. A few days ago I purchased an item from an American seller, and to my surprise, I had to pay an extra $12 in so-called import charges. I expressed my horror and concern to the seller, and they replied back to indicate that they have nothing to do with the import charges, and that it was Ebay''s policy. I agree with several Canadian buyers who have rightfully  indicated that this is yet another shameless money-grabbing tactics used by Ebay. We need to do something about this soon or else very soon they will cook up another tactic. We need to do something that will hit them hard in their bottom-line, and  I would suggest a one-month boycott of all Ebay activities for a start.

Message 3751 of 6,171
latest reply

Ebay imposes no import charges.

The Canadian government  can collect tax on items valued over $20.00.   Quite often they do not but  that is the rule.

If your item is shipped by Canada Post they collect the GST plus a  handling fee.

If the item was shipped by a US seller using the GSP  (global shipping program)  the charges were on the auction  listing.

Message 3752 of 6,171
latest reply

"and to my surprise,"

???

The charges are listed clearly in the listing BEFORE purchasing the item. If you do not like the charge, you should not purchase the item.

The Global Shipping Program (GSP) is not suitable to most Canadians for most transactions.  Best to stay away when you see those "import charges" or contact the seller and ask if he can ship to you directly through USPS, avoiding GSP.

You may still have to pay taxes (GST/HST/PST) and Canada Post $9.95 handling fee at time of mail delivery or pick up but there is also the possibility the parcel goes through Canada Customs without taxes being levied.

" I would suggest a one-month boycott of all Ebay activities for a start."

???

The program has been in place for two years and is growing... whether we like it or not.

Message 3753 of 6,171
latest reply

I appreciate you shedding some light on the taxes and duty issue afantiques. This makes sense to me and eases my mind about the perception of mass scale fraud that many of us have.  I didn't think eBay could or would do something like that but you have to admit a clear understanding of this is not easily extracted from the available information. 

This still presents a problem for the individual transactional nature of eBay's business.  I as a buyer of a single item do not care to pay to facilitate eBay in bulk freight shipping a million products.  I get better service and pay less by choosing the appropriate shipping method  for my needs and paying the cost that I incur as a result.  ...And the seller gains a customer.  I'm not sure how discouraging people from buying has "BIG" benefits to the seller.  As you can see from the thousands of posts Canadians are either avoiding eBay or buying from China and the UK. Is that really a BIG benefit to US sellers? It seems the "BIG" benefits alluded to in the thread are reserved for the GSP partners. The rest of us buyers and sellers alike must either grin and bear it or go elsewhere.

SmoothBomber
Message 3754 of 6,171
latest reply

...And the seller gains a customer.  I'm not sure how discouraging people from buying has "BIG" benefits to the seller

The 'Big' part is the 'Big Lie', clearly some ebay wonk has been reading his history books.

The lie here is that it benefits sellers. The tiny element of truth is that for some few items it can make sense, heavy items sent to Australia can save a lot on shipping. In some cases, other heavy items will travel for less than the cost of USPS Priority Mail International, the USPS air parcel service, and PMI stuff is more likely not to escape the import charges on delivery, so paying up front does not make much difference.

For almost everything sold on ebay it is just a good way to both prevent sales and produce an entirely new family of problems, as clueless sellers attempt to deal with the complaints of equally clueless buyers, because neither sellers nor buyers have spent a couple of hours needed to understand (to some extent) what is going on, and neither should they need to.

Message 3755 of 6,171
latest reply

Is it true that the sellers cannot see these import charges on their listings? I contacted a few sellers and they were very surprised the amount being charged up front, which in turn makes their listing very unattractive.  Everyone knows that import charges are charged at the border, randomly. My postman told me last week that on the average it's about 1 package every 10. Mainly because lack of man power to charge every package.

The laughable incentive to do global shipping is, "no surprises at delivery ", in actually the surprises come when you are guaranteed an import charge every time.

Message 3756 of 6,171
latest reply

"Is it true that the sellers cannot see these import charges on their listings?"

The "import charges" are usually not visible on eBay.com if the viewer is from the USA (seller and other potential buyers).

The amounts for both "shipping" and "import charges" may vary depending on the country of residence of the buyer.

You may see some numbers because you are in Canada while a buyer in the UK may see a different set of numbers.

An American seller could see the numbers for Canada if he checks his listing and changes the shipping address to Canada, including a Canadian postal code.  Very few, I suspect, would bother.

Message 3757 of 6,171
latest reply

"you are guaranteed an import charge every time."

Not really. 

Generally, only items priced at Cdn$ 20.00 or more show an "import charges" amount payable by the buyer (a few exceptions may apply)

Message 3758 of 6,171
latest reply

I would have no problem with this if they actually showed the calculation of GST & DUTY.  As a  Canadian we are used to being taxed so no big deal.  My issue is that they usually double or triple this amount and tag it as  "brokerage and admin fees" - such a scam.  I too avoid those that use this program.  The sad part is how ignorant  sellers are - when I asked a buyer recently if she could ship outside this program she told me she was going to report me to the IRS?   Lady - I'm Canadian - I don't think the IRS gives a **bleep** that I want to buy a bracelet from you!!!!!!

Message 3759 of 6,171
latest reply

.  Everyone knows that import charges are charged at the border, randomly

One of those everyone knows things that are wrong.

There are rules laid down in immense detail for charging import taxes and duties. It is unfortunate that the way GSP items are imported ensures that these rules are followed strictly, not randomly.

Message 3760 of 6,171
latest reply