Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Don't just let it ride. Make an ebay claim for the damaged item as Not as described, you should be able to get your payment back and it's unlikely you'd have to return the items.

This will not impact the seller, the GSP will be paying the refund.

Message 481 of 6,171
latest reply

we canadians never had to pay insurance or shipping  fees unless over 100$ coming from the USA

PITNEY BOWES GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM is UNLAWFULLY

charging us Canadians fee's this program must be stopped and we all should continue to ask and tell sellers that use this program to stop using it because its going to down their sales and tell them exactly how much its quoting you. than copy paste and save your messages into a word pad or text document so that you can continue to ask tell and educate sellers using the global shipping program.

the only people who should collect money is the mailman who is authorized to in person not over the internet and at the door in the rare and unfavored occurrence that  there is any taxes or tarriffs owed

Message 482 of 6,171
latest reply

i haven't bought anything on this site in well over a month. All my sending $ are spent on the legitimate sites that issue proper receipts.

Buy from Canadian Sellers and help the Canadian economy.

Message 483 of 6,171
latest reply

@supersales2u wrote:

we canadians never had to pay insurance or shipping  fees unless over 100$ coming from the USA

What do you mean by this?  Sellers using the postal system to transport their eBay items bury insurance charges into their shipping charges all the time.

Message 484 of 6,171
latest reply

it is time to close this tread, it has run its course

its time for fresh meat, as the expression say

Message 485 of 6,171
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

it is time to close this tread, it has run its course

its time for fresh meat, as the expression say

The moderators will be the judge of that, I think.

Message 486 of 6,171
latest reply

The first time (and only time) I bought something with GSP, they LOSE it!  
It was valued under 200 so do I have tracking or just delivery confirmation?
It was last seen in Erlanger, KY on Nov 2nd and since then tracking stopped dead in its tracks.

It was due between the 8th and the 15th of November.  I called before and Ebay said to contact the seller, which I had to correct them because he shipped it to them.

The lady saw my delivery estimate date, saw that the item hadn't moved in two weeks and said, "Well, let's refund your money."

I want my item over my money back.

Now, what're the odds the item will still randomly show up, albeit late?

Cost of the whole item was 243 with taxes and GSP and everything from the seller, to KY, to me in Canada.

I really wonder what happened to it.  I also wonder if the tracking isn't updates as it makes its way into Canada, or?
Also, what happens if it DOES show up?  Do I have to pay them back for it or what?
First experience with the GSP system and they have admitted they have no idea where my item is so they are going to refund it, or what I should expect now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 487 of 6,171
latest reply

For a refund you must go  through the formal ebay 'Not received ' process, it is the only way to get the GSP charges back. Your seller will not be able to refund more than the item price and shipping to KY.

Canadian deliveries seem to be handled by Canada Post, you might try your local delivery office to see if it is there.

Tracking of GSP items is extremely unreliable.

Message 488 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP told me over the telephone that they're issuing me a refund in 5-7 days.  Should I trust that or do I need to open up a claim online?
Also, what happens if I get the refund then my package appears on my doorstep in a few days?  
It kind of took me by surprise that PBI declared the package lost so fast. I'm surprised they didn't say, "wait for it."
The first lady I spoke to said, "If it arrives, bonus!" when I asked her what happened if she gave me my $ back and it arrived.  But I imagine I have to give the refund back if I want to keep the package/it's the right thing to do.

Because it was under a certain dollar amount, I wonder if they just didn't put tracking on it and it's still coming.  
They missed the delivery date, but anything is possible.

On the other hand, it's super bizarre that they wouldn't update the package's status after being slate for customs and documentation.  

Message 489 of 6,171
latest reply

@jimds1986 wrote:

GSP told me over the telephone that they're issuing me a refund in 5-7 days.  Should I trust that or do I need to open up a claim online?

Would waiting a week put you past the deadline for filing a claim through PayPal?  If not, don't file a claim yet.  It may be trickier to recover all your funds through a PayPal claim, anyway, because of the payment split.

This sounds to me as though it's the equivalent of dealing directly with the seller for recovering your funds for a missing item shipped directly to you, so I'd wait if at all possible.

@jimds1986 wrote:

Also, what happens if I get the refund then my package appears on my doorstep in a few days?  
It kind of took me by surprise that PBI declared the package lost so fast. I'm surprised they didn't say, "wait for it."
The first lady I spoke to said, "If it arrives, bonus!" when I asked her what happened if she gave me my $ back and it arrived.  But I imagine I have to give the refund back if I want to keep the package/it's the right thing to do.

Because it was under a certain dollar amount, I wonder if they just didn't put tracking on it and it's still coming.  
They missed the delivery date, but anything is possible.

Was the delivery date carved in stone, or was that 8-15 November range an "estimate"?  If it's an estimate, it could well arrive early next week.  The five to seven day waiting period for the refund may involve some last ditch efforts to track the item's whereabouts.  If the item arrives before the refund goes through, by all means contact the Global Shipping Team again.

Keep in mind that the seller is supposedly protected against loss in cases like this, so the loss will be on PBI's head if the Global Shipping Program ends up returning your money.

Message 490 of 6,171
latest reply

Thank-you for the reply.  The worrysome part is that it could arrive sometime next week or so, but the package tracking hasn't left Kentucky (or so it says) since Nov 2nd. 

Customs Documentation and Labeling

Nov-02-13, 10:28 AM, Erlanger

Processing at US Shipping Center

Nov-02-13, 10:26 AM, Erlanger

Arrived at US shipping Center

Nov-01-13, 11:38 AM, ERLANGER, KY 41018

In Transit-Arrival at Post Office

Nov-01-13, 10:38 AM, ERLANGER, KY 41018

Is there a possibility they just didn't put tracking on it? Declared value was $200 if i recall correctly. 

The time frame was an estimate

Estimated delivery: Fri. 8 Nov. - Fri. 15 Nov.

it says

But when I talked to the people in charge of GSP, they seemed very concerned that no tracking movement happened for 2 weeks and were quick to offer a refund.  I accepted it (I didn't initiate a refund over Ebay's website because I was paranoid that it would screw up and try to get the seller involved) but the person on the phone said I'd be getting one in a few days and to cancel refund if it showed up.
Just wondering how likely it would be to ever show up if the last update was:

Message 491 of 6,171
latest reply

This is another reason to stay away from GSP, all the items i have bought never had USPS loose a package..
Message 492 of 6,171
latest reply

@jimds1986 wrote:

Is there a possibility they just didn't put tracking on it? Declared value was $200 if i recall correctly. 

Just wondering how likely it would be to ever show up if the last update was:

The impression that I'm getting from what I've read on the GSP is that there are many different contracted parties that can be involved with a shipment through this program.  While the GSP is supposed to include tracking, there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that this tracking is real-time.  Because different carriers have use different computer software for their tracking, I'd say it's quite possible that they don't necessarily communicate instantaneously with each other and the tracking information has to be manually updated, and in some cases this may wait until the shipment is completed.

There seem to be a lot of commercial shipment and logistics-related businesses in the area of 1850 Airport Exchange Blvd, Erlanger KY.  Here's just one of them:

http://www.emmzco.com/

I haven't been able to find out if PitneyBowes has any sort of ownership stake in its operations.

Message 493 of 6,171
latest reply

@brandeentertainment wrote:

I think all in all after much venting and complaining IF they changed just one thing I wouldn't care about the GSP program..

THey should have to tell you before you buy what all the extra fees your gonna pay will total..

I mean one Item I was wondering about had $10 shipping I called to talk to them and got a estimate ..

Although it showed $10 shipping I would have been directly charged without notice $650 extra for shipping through GSP ..

Granted this is about what it would cost even if the seller did not use GSP  I atleast would have known instead of just opening my paypal acount one day only to See a $650 cahrge to my account

Do you still have the item number for this listing?  I'm wondering if that $650 you're talking about was for the Import Charges, not the shipping.  Shipping charges are--from what I've seen--consistent between the listing page and Checkout.  Import Charges, on the other hand, may be estimated on the listing page, with the actual ones showing up before you commit to purchase the item.  

Another possibility is that you were dealing with a seller who didn't realize they were signed up for the GSP and they gave you a shipping charge that had nothing to do with the GSP.  I don't know who this "them" is that you talked to.

Message 494 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:
This is another reason to stay away from GSP, all the items i have bought never had USPS loose a package..

We don't know for sure if this item was lost or delayed.

For what it's worth, I can think of at least one instance where a package shipped by USPS / Canada Post was never received by my wife, although for all we know the seller may never have sent it off in the first place.

Message 495 of 6,171
latest reply

i never had a package lost in either direction or to and from. Canada post is 100% in my books. GSP is totally inexperienced and is imperative that it shuts down before it cost buyer to much money. 

Message 496 of 6,171
latest reply

It sounds like to me there is just too much handling going on with GSP, i seen a video and a guy from Japan had problems,he spent time figuring out the path his package took from the time the seller shipped it, he mention 3 or 4 states it went to, before it left the USA, sounds like it is not taking the shortest route,and just more chance of damage or getting lost...

Message 497 of 6,171
latest reply

No here is how it worked ... Seller in the GSP charged $10 shipping for 10,000 bubble mailers which come in cases of 250 weighing 8 punds each measuring 16x14x12

So he ships to kentucky then they charge me the real shipping..

This is just not for me .. Even though I know that it is justified shipping charge there is no way to see that is what they will charge me ...

Message 498 of 6,171
latest reply

I don't get all this it makes no sense .. Someone is making money and that is the bottom line..

Does it protect sellers .. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Does it Cos less...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Does it have hidden fees to make buying a bad experience ..YESSSSSSSSSSS

Does it protect your feedback .. NOT if the buyer carefull words the feedback it will only protect a bad DSR rating which is not why people sell online..

Does it do any good for buyers.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2 Things it help with buyers and sellers..

Helps sellers that are too lazy to figure it out themselves...

Helps buyers know who the lazy sellers are ...

Message 499 of 6,171
latest reply

"I don't get all this it makes no sense .. Someone is making money and that is the bottom line..

Does it protect sellers .. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Does it Cos less...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Does it have hidden fees to make buying a bad experience ..YESSSSSSSSSSS

Does it protect your feedback .. NOT if the buyer carefull words the feedback it will only protect a bad DSR rating which is not why people sell online..

Does it do any good for buyers.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2 Things it help with buyers and sellers..

Helps sellers that are too lazy to figure it out themselves...

Helps buyers know who the lazy sellers are ..."

i'm with you 100%

well said

Message 500 of 6,171
latest reply