Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Yeah, customs does not give any priority over any parcel. 

Once released and with Canada Post, that is when the time frame of delivery comes into play. 

Message 5981 of 6,171
latest reply

I will not use an EBay seller who uses the Global Express program to ship to Canada.

Message 5982 of 6,171
latest reply

If FedEx or USPS ships an item from CA up the west coast to BC, how is that just as environmentally harmful as shipping it to US east then straight up and back across from east to west again?

FedEx is famous for its early adoption of the hub and spoke distribution system (Viz-- The Castaway).

Their World hub is in Memphis.

http://postandparcel.info/67311/news/fedex-leases-more-land-at-memphis-hub/

What you are not seeing is all the stops on the way with FedEx.

And as said often, PB/GSP is not the only shipper to use this very efficient (if counter-intuitive) system. It is also used by USPS and Canada Post.

Which is why my city tax bill payments goes first to Richmond BC, before being returned here to the Oak Bay City Hall, two blocks from my house. And before you say anything, it is more efficient and cheaper for me to mail the cheque than it is to walk those two blocks and wait in line for a clerk to be free.

Message 5983 of 6,171
latest reply

...customs does not give any priority over any parcel. 

Once released and...

On the other hand, all the CBSA work is done by the GSP* (as sub-contractors/customs brokers) while the parcel is still in KY.

In theory, this means that once a GSP package hits the border  PB can hand it directly to Canada Post .

A USPS parcel still has to pass through customs.

*Which ,as afantiques has stated from his personal observation at the British plant, is why GSP workers sometimes open packages. The content was not sufficiently described and is being assessed and repacked (badly).

Message 5984 of 6,171
latest reply

True only if it is not handed off to USPS in Chicago, like my last 6 items purchased on ebay. 
Those sat at Canadian Customs for 7-13 days before being released to Canada Post. 

@femmefan1946 wrote:

...customs does not give any priority over any parcel. 

Once released and...

On the other hand, all the CBSA work is done by the GSP* (as sub-contractors/customs brokers) while the parcel is still in KY.

In theory, this means that once a GSP package hits the border  PB can hand it directly to Canada Post .

A USPS parcel still has to pass through customs.

*Which ,as afantiques has stated from his personal observation at the British plant, is why GSP workers sometimes open packages. The content was not sufficiently described and is being assessed and repacked (badly).

Message 5985 of 6,171
latest reply

Yep.

If it is handed to USPS, it will go through the customs process again.

Which is why we've been so puzzled by your experience.

Why would PB do this when their usual system works reasonably well. Though Ghu and the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster know it's nowhere near perfect.

Message 5986 of 6,171
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

If it is handed to USPS, it will go through the customs process again.

Which is why we've been so puzzled by your experience.  Why would PB do this when their usual system works reasonably well. 

I've been speculating that these packages have been handled by a new outfit subcontracted to Pitney Bowes that had employees that weren't properly brought up to speed on the program's operations.

The buyer doesn't seem to accept this as a possibility as it happened several times, but I'd counter that, as with so many things, nobody will know that there's a problem if nobody bothers to communicate it.  It probably took a while for PBI to be alerted of this inconsistency.

Message 5987 of 6,171
latest reply

I am in full agreement with those on this board who say they will not buy in future from any seller using the GSP program. The shipping method isn't any quicker than how I previously received my purchases shipped directly by the seller and now I have to pay this vague 'import charges'. Does the Canadian government receive the $11 I paid? I've been buying off eBay for many years and I've never been charged an import fee by the Canadian government. Granted, my purchases are usually under $100, but I have yet to have the government charge me anything for my purchase. So why am I being charged $11 on a $43 purchase? It's just ridiculous. eBay you have got to readjust this program or we will all buy our items elsewhere, from those not being duped by this stupid shipping system. What's wrong with USPS? That system still works just fine. Boycott GSP.

Message 5988 of 6,171
latest reply

The shipping method isn't any quicker than how I previously received

It is not a faster shipping service.

It is a Seller Protection program.

Not meant to provide any perks for the buyer.

this vague 'import charges'.

The import charges are made up of :

• duty-- on new items not made in a NAFTA country
  • Sales Tax- on new or used items, regardless of origin
  • service fee- $5 about half that of Canada Post and 20% of most couriers

Does the Canadian government receive the $11 I paid?

Yes.

Pitney Bowes (the postage meter people) runs the program.

Just as UPS and FedEx (and LLBean for that matter) collect import fees for the Canadian government, so does PB.

I'm pretty sure that Revenue Canada has received lots of complaints and know that they are ill-founded.

BTW, most sales taxes are collected by retailers not by the government. And they get paid to do it.

why am I being charged $11 on a $43 purchase?

Any import over $20 Cdn (~$16USD) is subject to assessment for duty and sales tax.

Even in the item is not dutiable, sales tax is still collected.

That $43US =~$53Cdn

Allow $5 for the service charge mentioned above

At 15% for sales tax (ON) that's $7.31.

And there is your $11.

The real problem is that $20 duty free which has not changed since 1985.

I understand that this is being discussed as part of the NAFTA talks.

If you want to make your opinion known, you can write to

Your Member of Parliament, MP

House of Commons,

OTTAWA ON K1P 1A6

Or

The Honorable Chrystia Freeland, PC, MP

Minister of Foreign Affairs

House of Commons,

OTTAWA ON K1P 1A6

Message 5989 of 6,171
latest reply

The Google Home I just bought a week ago, my 7th purchase, is going the EXACT same route as the last 6 items... PB to Chicago USPS. 

Not a coincidence and not a newbie error as some of the apologists have suggested here. 

This is 100 percent deliberate to cut corners and save some $ via eBays latest "how can we alleviate  some fees so Canadians buy more via the GSP".

Message 5990 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

The Google Home I just bought a week ago, my 7th purchase, is going the EXACT same route as the last 6 items... PB to Chicago USPS. 

Not a coincidence and not a newbie error as some of the apologists have suggested here. 

This is 100 percent deliberate to cut corners and save some $ via eBays latest "how can we alleviate  some fees so Canadians buy more via the GSP".

It's not a "newbie error".  It's a subcontractor that's lost the plot.

How has Pitney Bowes responded to the complaint that you emailed them?

Message 5991 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@bobenis wrote:

It's not a "newbie error".  It's a subcontractor that's lost the plot.

How has Pitney Bowes responded to the complaint that you emailed them?

Where did I state that I emailed PB?

Since you know it was a "subcontractor who lost the plot" you must have emailed PB so why not share the email?

Message 5992 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Since you know it was a "subcontractor who lost the plot" you must have emailed PB so why not share the email?

I don't know that it's a subcontractor issue, but I do know what I meant when I made my hypothesis.  I was just clarifying that as you seem to have a different understanding.

@bobenis wrote:

That's pretty much my point.  You've spent a lot of time and energy complaining about your now seven shipments that have been forwarded through USPS, and yet you've never tried getting an explanation from Pitney Bowes.  Could it be that the turnaround time in customs for these items has actually improved to your satisfaction?

Message 5993 of 6,171
latest reply

No more energy exerted than your posts where you seem to always defend the GSP or perhaps just enjoy pointing out other posters short comings.

Well I have clearly mentioned several times that via this route the items end up sitting in customs for 10+ days (ie just like a regular parcel hence no benefit of the prepaid duty and taxes) due to the lacking of prefilled customs declaration and clearance forms but I suppose your defense fuelled posts for the GSP, or perhaps for the sake of an argument, you must have forgotten those previous pertinent tidbits. 

@marnotom! wrote:

@bobenis wrote:

I don't know that it's a subcontractor issue, but I do know what I meant when I made my hypothesis.  I was just clarifying that as you seem to have a different understanding.

@bobenis wrote:

That's pretty much my point.  You've spent a lot of time and energy complaining about your now seven shipments that have been forwarded through USPS, and yet you've never tried getting an explanation from Pitney Bowes.  Could it be that the turnaround time in customs for these items has actually improved to your satisfaction?

Message 5994 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

No more energy exerted than your posts where you seem to always defend the GSP or perhaps just enjoy pointing out other posters short comings.

Well I have clearly mentioned several times that via this route the items end up sitting in customs for 10+ days (ie just like a regular parcel hence no benefit of the prepaid duty and taxes) due to the lacking of prefilled customs declaration and clearance forms but I suppose your defense fuelled posts for the GSP, or perhaps for the sake of an argument, you must have forgotten those previous pertinent tidbits. 

I've purchase two items where the GSP was used to forward the items.  It worked quite well.  However, when searching for other items for myself on eBay, I've found few other instances where it makes sense to use the GSP as a forwarding agent.  So I haven't purchased from those listings.

On the other hand, you're now on your seventh purchase of an item forwarded through the GSP.  This leaves me with the impression that it makes some sort of sense to you to have the GSP forward those items, otherwise you either wouldn't be purchasing those items or else you'd be making alternative shipping arrangements for them.

I haven't forgotten your complaints about how your items have been handled by USPS through the GSP, but those complaints were made some time ago.  If you haven't expressed your concerns to Pitney Bowes about your items' handling and you continue to purchase items that use the GSP to forward them to Canada rather than arrange alternative shipping arrangements, all I can conclude is that the service has improved to your satisfaction.

Message 5995 of 6,171
latest reply

Forwarding is fine however the GSP is not presented as such. 

They are supposed to use a 3rd part shipper/handler (PB) to handle your parcel on your behalf using their couriers of choice to get it to the destination country with all the paperwork and duty already done in advance. 

When they use USPS it totally negates that process and it gets tossed into a pile of other items waiting for checking/clearance hence a waiting period is added of 10 days to 2 weeks, which is not present when PB handles it to the destination country.

When PB handles it, the package is passed through customs within 30 mins and travels onto CP. 

I have absolutely NO complaints against USPS, I love em as they are 10 times more efficient than CP and if I can avoid the GSP and buy with someone who ships direct with USPS I will always choose that route. 

I just bought a belt that was from CA and shipped 1st class USPS, it arrived to me in 4 days. 

The issue I have is the GSP is supposed to stream line the customs/duty process thus getting the item quicker too your doorstep and when they cheap out and USPS that process is not delivered as promised. 

Message 5996 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Forwarding is fine however the GSP is not presented as such. 

They are supposed to use a 3rd part shipper/handler (PB) to handle your parcel on your behalf using their couriers of choice to get it to the destination country with all the paperwork and duty already done in advance. 

The GSP terms and conditions refer to Pitney Bowes having the role of a forwarding agent for items located in the United States.  (See section entitled "Roles of the Parties".)   Further to that, the T&C state that Pitney Bowes will pay "assessed duties and other taxes due upon importation of the GSP item".  That doesn't necessarily mean "in advance".  

@bobenis wrote:

The issue I have is the GSP is supposed to stream line the customs/duty process thus getting the item quicker to your doorstep. . .

The GSP is not presented as such.  😉

Message 5997 of 6,171
latest reply

Ok paid shill... You just cannot stop being pedantic for even one post. 

Oh well... 

Message 5998 of 6,171
latest reply

Thank you for your post reallynicestamps. However, it would be so much better for all of this to be spelled out to begin with so that we don't have to search to find these answers and wait for your detailed response reallynicestamps. I searched for ages trying to find out what it was all about. Clarity and transparency is called for here by GSP. But I still won't buy from anyone using GSP. The charges are too great, the format is ridiculous. (Wait, they send out to you so you can send to me? Why don't they just send to me and cut you out and let me take my chances with the Canadian tax man?) I was going to buy a battery for $10 from a U.S. seller. Shipping through GSP? $39.95. Forgetaboutit.

Message 5999 of 6,171
latest reply

The GSP was created to fill eBay's pockets with more money because many (not all) US sellers either are too lazy or intimidated by customs forms to ship internationally thus they only ship locally.

The GSP was created to bridge that gap and keep eBay's commerce high even though eBay now sees it is not working too well and have recently sent emails to Canadians with a link to urge the PM to raise the allowed limit of purchased items entering into Canada to $200. 

Amazon and Alibaba take a big chunk out of their funds. 

Message 6000 of 6,171
latest reply