Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

@grendal_6wrote:

I believe it is more insidious how ebay is making money off the GSP. I'm not sure how Pitney Bowes and ebay got together in the first place, but they must have cooked up a kickback system before the program was launched. The GSP makes no sense unless you see it as a moneymaker for them both. It certainly was not set up to benefit American sellers or Canadian buyers.

I find it funny how the same people who use a website devoted to trade and ecommerce--in other words, making money--berate the operators of the website for its attempts to generate revenue itself.

@grendal_6wrote:

For decades, Pitney Bowes has been lobbying both the Canadian and American governments to privatise all or parts of the US and Canadian postal services, so that they can come in and carve off the lucrative parts of both systems. UPS has also tried to do the same. The Tories in Canada were about to do just that before they were thrown out. The Liberals aren't much better, but at least they have stopped the loss of door to door delivery and cut out the privatization talk. But the resourceful folks at  Pitney have carried on and managed to get their hands on free money by setting up this middleman-filled remailing service and upping shipping fees and pocketing the import duties they collect. I (and most Canadians) have never been charged duty or import fees when American sellers have used the USPS and Canada Post. The only times I've ever been charged is when a US seller uses UPS, who always have extra charges.

Pitney Bowes has been producing postage meters for decades.  This part of their business is, understandably, on a rapid decline.  The suits in charge decided that diversifying the business was preferable to winding it down, I guess.

If you look around, you're going to find instances of the private sector trying to "monetize" aspects of the public sector.  Health care, education, and transportation are areas where the private sector has almost always been partially involved and, since the companies involved tend to be branches of US firms that have more extensive involvement in traditionally publicly-run services, they're now trying to emulate that involvement north of the 49th.

I don't know where you get the impression that Pitney Bowes is "pocketing" the "import charges" it levies on a GSP shipment, however.  I haven't yet been hit with a speeding ticket for going above 30 km/h in a school zone, but it doesn't mean that what I've been doing is perfectly kosher.  Personal imports by mail are subject to being charged duty and GST/HST/PST, but those monies are not always assessed and collected by Canada Border Services.  You've simply been very fortunate when it comes to items sent through the mail.

@grendal_6wrote:

This seems to have been implemented like the negative option that cable and cell phone companies used. Many have said the American sellers are really unaware of the GSP and that is my experience as well. Whenever I ask a US seller to ignore the GSP and mail direct, they are surprised, but usually do it. There is really no difference in preparing the parcel and paperwork for Erlanger or just filling out a customs declaration for the USPS. 

There really is a difference, unfortunately, and that's one of the GSP's selling points for those who have knowingly opted into the program.

Those who have had the GSP unknowingly automatically applied to their listings by eBay simply haven't been keeping up with changes to the .com user agreement that state that the program can be tacked on this way in certain circumstances which can be prevented if the seller so wishes.

A postscript:  Are you aware of which Canadian carrier seems to be used the most by the logistics companies subcontracted by Pitney Bowes for the Canadian leg of a GSP-forwarded item? 

It's Canada Post.

Message 6161 of 6,171
latest reply

"A question for ebay: why the silence on this issue and does Kalvin even exist or is he/she/it just a bot?"

@happy_pigeon

I know you are reluctant to lock some of these Global Shipping Program threads because users are still actively contributing to them.... but then those users expect actual responses from Kalvin to a thread he created like six years ago. And then when those users don't get any reply from him, it adds credence to their theory the GSP all just a big trick of some kind. 

If the thread remains open, can there be some kind of bot-programmed response at least to whenever Kalvin is tagged or mentioned? 

Just a thought.

I freely admit that I find this thread and others like it to be exhausting.

No one coming here with a GSP beef reads any of the 309 pages of already-been-answered questions, they just vent and repeat the same complaints and conspiracies as everyone who came before them. 

Message 6162 of 6,171
latest reply

In fairness, @momcqueen, I think the locked threads were intended to be a clearing house of sorts for users to post their observations and questions with eBay staff such as Kalvin (at the time) fielding the posts.  I don't think users such as ourselves were expected to contribute very much.

Message 6163 of 6,171
latest reply

Your global shipping sucks!!!Global shipping has to stop dropping packages at the front door.Why can’t The have a pickup wearhouse like Ups ,if your not at home you don’t have to worry about someone stealing your package.I paid enough money for shipping,at least have the balls to hold on to your item.I hope this global shipping bull **bleep** destroys eBay.I’ll never order from EBay again.
Message 6164 of 6,171
latest reply

‘Global shipping’ is a program, not a carrier. If your item arrived damaged, contact your seller about initiating a claim for carrier mishandling.
Message 6165 of 6,171
latest reply

This is a response to both marnotom! and momcqueen.

marnotom! first:

•  a website devoted to trade and ecommerce is fine -- as long as it is fair and honest trade. What we have here is not fair trade but predatory trade, as practised by Walmart and Amazon. You seem to be a fan of the latter for ebay as well.
  • Thanks for the instructional on Pitney Bowes producing postage meters -- never would have guessed. But there is a subtle difference between a private corporation producing equipment for a public corporation, and then trying to destroy and pick the bones of that public corporation, to the detriment of the public good, with our support.
  • "pocketing the import charges":  That's the only logical conclusion you can come to when there is no transparency in the transaction. No separation of fees, only listed as import charges, which are all over the map -- no consistency.  Companies reluctant to give that information should always be viewed with suspicion. Canada Border Agency should be investigating.
  • negative option changes:  ebay is famous for this and is doing it right now with updates to privacy policy. Opting out of commercial messages is a negative option if you were never given a choice to opt in. Plus by opting out, you could be charged message and data rates (you have to pay to opt out!)
  • Postscript:  Of course Pitney Bowes uses Canada Post. UPS can't be trusted not to tack on their own fees in addition to Pitney Bowes' fees, which they do all the time. Pitney Bowes would look like liars when they promise "no additional fees at delivery". Canada Post saves them that embarrassment.

momcqueen:

• Kalvin comment was a joke -- no one expects an answer from Kalvin, especially when we have you two. 
  • Unbelievably, I have read a lot of the 309 pages -- always like to think and read and see who is monopolizing the comments.

I can't believe you find this exhausting (must also be a joke). You guys comment almost daily. It seems to be your life's work. 

Wait a minute -- is it your work? The aggressiveness of your comments and attacks suggest a personal interest in the GSP. Your devotion and defence of the GSP leads me to believe you are somehow connected to Pitney Bowes or ebay.  Feel free to tell us who you really are and who you represent.

I've got to hand it to you guys for having the fortitude to stand up for a program that 99% disapprove of. It takes real guts to defend the indefensible in the face of overwhelming opposition.

I think we've found where Kalvin went, and it wasn't a promotion. He is real and has re-surfaced as marnotom! and momcqueen.

Message 6166 of 6,171
latest reply

“Wait a minute -- is it your work? The aggressiveness of your comments and attacks suggest a personal interest in the GSP. Your devotion and defence of the GSP leads me to believe you are somehow connected to Pitney Bowes or ebay. Feel free to tell us who you really are and who you represent.”

I sell on eBay. Since 2012. I don’t work for eBay, eBay works for me. My devotion is to the facts and truth not hyperbole and conspiracy theories.

Does that suffice? Good.
Message 6167 of 6,171
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

"A question for ebay: why the silence on this issue and does Kalvin even exist or is he/she/it just a bot?"

@Kalvin used to be real (well, I assume they are still real, wherever they are, but you know what I mean). Now the use of their username and email address on the boards is legacy. I assume they were the one to set up many aspects of the Community and used their username and email address as placeholders in many areas. For example, when I get an @mention notification, it's from Kalvin. But in that case, there's no one behind it.

@Kalvin was the first official Community Manager for eBay.ca. Now you have my feathery presence... but yes. @mentioning Kalvin is an exercise in futility anymore... there's no one home at that address.

Message 6168 of 6,171
latest reply

Thank you very much for the clarification on that, happy_pidgeon. Now the user who asked the original question will have no doubts as to Kalvin’s role as the Creator of this Garden of Eden... and will also be assured it’s not a pseudonym codename for other regular users here.
Message 6169 of 6,171
latest reply

@grendal_6wrote:

•  a website devoted to trade and ecommerce is fine -- as long as it is fair and honest trade. What we have here is not fair trade but predatory trade, as practised by Walmart and Amazon. You seem to be a fan of the latter for ebay as well.

Unlike the two merchants that you mention, eBay doesn't actually sell merchandise.  It simply facilitates trade.  I don't see how you can apply the term "trade" to eBay the same way as you're using it for those other examples.

@grendal_6wrote:

• Thanks for the instructional on Pitney Bowes producing postage meters -- never would have guessed. But there is a subtle difference between a private corporation producing equipment for a public corporation, and then trying to destroy and pick the bones of that public corporation, to the detriment of the public good, with our support.

While I agree that there are corporations up to nefarious deeds when it comes to the public sector, particularly in areas such as education and health care, I fail to see how Pitney Bowes is contributing to the dismantling of public services with the Global Shipping Program.  After all, many items forwarded through the program are sent to the Global Shipping Center by USPS.  Many items travel the Canadian leg of their journey by Canada Post.

@grendal_6wrote:

• "pocketing the import charges":  That's the only logical conclusion you can come to when there is no transparency in the transaction. No separation of fees, only listed as import charges, which are all over the map -- no consistency.  Companies reluctant to give that information should always be viewed with suspicion. Canada Border Agency should be investigating.

You can have all the transparency in a transaction you want, but there's no guarantee that the money's going where you expect it to go.  How do you know that the GST or HST that your neighbourhood Tim Horton's is charging on your double-double is actually going to the feds and not into the franchisee's pocket?

The fact is, if you import something, be it by mail, courier, or freight, you should expect to pay taxes, duty (if applicable), and various charges associated with seeing it through customs and having the taxes and duty either collected or paid on your behalf.   If Pitney Bowes isn't doing that, that's not your problem, and the feds will catch up to them sooner or later the way they caught up to Amway years ago.   Someone not doing their job is no excuse for you not to do your job.

Besides, my understanding is that the way the GSP handles the remittance of taxes and duty is no different than the way logistics companies handle it for large commercial shipments and not much different than how carriers such as UPS and FedEx handle it for individual shipments.

@grendal_6wrote:

• negative option changes:  ebay is famous for this and is doing it right now with updates to privacy policy. Opting out of commercial messages is a negative option if you were never given a choice to opt in. Plus by opting out, you could be charged message and data rates (you have to pay to opt out!)

What are American (and British) sellers being "opted into", though?  They pay nothing for the program's use.  They have no responsibility to see that the item makes it safely to its ultimate destination.  If they're already following best practices, they don't have to do anything special with their listings.  

While the program may be there to serve sellers who don't wish to ship outside their borders, it's actually the buyers that are contractually bound to the service and pay for its use.

And (for the umpteenth time) let's not forget what the Global Shipping Program is:  a forwarding service.  Sellers ship the item to a centralized-ish location in the US.  The item is transported as part of a larger freight shipment to a Canadian hub, where it is separated from the freight shipment and forwarded to its destination, usually by mail.  If the logistics company subcontracted to handle the GSP item does elect to use UPS, it would be only on the Canadian leg of the journey and not subject to import charges since, as far as UPS is concerned, the item originates from a Canadian location.

I'm not a huge fan of the GSP either, but I've found that used properly it has its place.  The problem is that because sellers haven't kept up with the .com user agreement, it's often being used by sellers who are unaware or don't care that it's been applied to their listings.  Where it does work well, it's usually by sellers who have optimized their listings to take full advantage of it. 

Also keep in mind that the GSP ships to about 100 countries in addition to Canada.  Some buyers, particularly in countries such as Germany and Italy that see postal imports detained and/or delayed for various reasons,  actually prefer the GSP over direct mailed shipments.  For us Canadians where our customs infrastructure has, well, adapted to the influx of personal imports from the US, it generally doesn't work so well.  But I haven't seen any evidence so far that Pitney Bowes is up to anything illegal.

Message 6170 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi all,

This discussion thread is old, and has lived a long and fulfilling life. Many things have changed since this thread was opened, so to avoid spreading information that's no longer accurate, I'll be closing it so that it can go to Discussion Board Heaven. 

If you would like to continue this topic or discuss a similar or related one, please feel free to start a new one.

Message 6171 of 6,171
latest reply