Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

This is for ebay to address, not the seller. GSP is not suitable for this site.

Message 621 of 6,171
latest reply

. I just purchased a parcel with Global shipping. Shipping was $12.75. Global added another $12.60.

Why buy?

For the broken figurine, if you claim through rbay for a damaged GSP item, you should get a refund and get to keep the item.

Message 622 of 6,171
latest reply

I will not purchase items from sellers that use the Global Shipping Program.   items take longer to arrive or they have been lost in transit,   my last item I bought  that had global shipping went to 4 locations stopped in Kentucky  and from there it disappeared off the face of the earth    The High Shipping costs have stopped me from buying on Ebay .

Message 623 of 6,171
latest reply

I end up paying more when sellers use this global shipping program,I don't get charged all this duty and extras unless it's over a certain amount but with this shipping I pay all the time,so I will not purchase if I can find another seller that's not useing this program.
Thankyou
Message 624 of 6,171
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

This is for ebay to address, not the seller. GSP is not suitable for this site.

Why is it eBay's job to ask the seller if they'll ship an item directly to you in Canada?

Message 625 of 6,171
latest reply

Absolutely right! I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to discourage a buyer for your items. In my saved sellers list I have those who offer First Class Mail International and combined shipping.

Message 626 of 6,171
latest reply

judi9777
Community Member

As a Canadian I think the Global Shipping program (who answer their phone and "ebay logistics" ) should be avoided and boycotted as much as possible. They double charge, charge duty on items that are duty-free and basically rip-off buyers!!!!!

They make it appear to the buyer that it will be easier to know what your charges will be, and protect sellers with the knowledge that items can not be returned if duty is too high.

However, I purchased a pair of boots from the US and they charged 50% duty on top of the shipping charges. I purchased a pair of boots of equal value from the US without global shipping and there was NO duty when they were delivered!!!! Both items were identical as far as import charges are concerned. One was 50% the other 0% - hhhhhmmmmm....

What do they do with this money? It doesn't go to the government on items that shouldn't have duty in the first place. On the boots with 50% duty both the seller and I were will to change the shipping method, but we were not allowed to!!!!!!!! 

I paid, because I really wanted the boots, but now there is another item, where global shipping was not listed on the listing, that is a very important gift that I need. I am unsure what to do. Ebay should at least allow shippers and buyers who agree to change the shipping method to do so after purchase. You are allowed to cancel, but not change shipping? What if someone wanted faster shipping and to pay for it? That would likely be allowed. But you can't get rid of the illegal Global Shipping duties.

I suggest that all buyers and sellers boycott the global shipping program. The fees are not given in the listing, and when you agree to purchase you can end up paying double, for something that it duty-free!  This hurts the buyers and the sellers. People cancel sales when they see the duty, which is much more likely then them sending the items back when there is no duty at the post office. 

Don't let me be the only one telling them there practice is illegal. This has to stop. 

Message 627 of 6,171
latest reply

Ha - funny!!! The item I just wrote about where I was charged 50% on a duty-free item, told the seller to ship to Kentuky too!!!!!!! I am in Canada. Luckily she contacted me to confirm. Paying illegal duty for an item you never get.... these people should be shut down.

Message 628 of 6,171
latest reply

What do they do with this money? It doesn't go to the government on items that shouldn't have duty in the first place. On the boots with 50% duty both the seller and I were will to change the shipping method, but we were not allowed to!!!!!!!!

They pay it to the Canadian government when the stuff is imported. I really can't be bothered to explain why to someone who could have read all the answers to her questions by going back a few posts.

Stuff is sent to Kentucky because that is where it is consolidated and shipped to the countries concerned.

All GSP listings have the charges set out, but they also have links to explanations of the program.

When it came out I thought this program was the stupidest thing ever conceived, but since then I have decided some ebay users run it a close second.

Message 629 of 6,171
latest reply

Well, you asked the question and you got yourself 21 pages of responses giving a thumbs down to the program. I will NEVER buy from someone who charges me mandatory import charges. When I buy something from the US, the odds of getting customs charges are 1 in 50  - now you have made it a certainty. Will Ebay listen? Not likely with all the different parties getting a piece of the pie. But thanks for asking.

Message 630 of 6,171
latest reply

plee5044
Community Member

Kalvin, the Global Shipping Program has made most items cost prohibitive for Canadian customers!  For example, if I order a $30.00 shirt from a US seller, it will attract  approximately $29.95 shipping plus $19.95  "import charges" before we even add duty and taxes imposed by the Canada Border Services Agency.  My $30.00 shirt will cost me in excess of $80.00 US before Canadian taxes are applied which could put the cost of the shirt in the $100.00 range.  If I buy the same shirt from the few US vendors, who are not affiliated with the GSP, I am usually charged around $9.00 shipping (USPS to Canada) and no import duty or taxes are applied

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

since the shipment is deemed to be a "low valued shipment" by CBSA.  The GSP will discourage most Canadian buyers.  I think you are doing US sellers and Canadian purchasers a grave disservice!  

Message 631 of 6,171
latest reply

@plee5044 wrote:

Kalvin, the Global Shipping Program has made most items cost prohibitive for Canadian customers!  For example, if I order a $30.00 shirt from a US seller, it will attract  approximately $29.95 shipping plus $19.95  "import charges" before we even add duty and taxes imposed by the Canada Border Services Agency.  My $30.00 shirt will cost me in excess of $80.00 US before Canadian taxes are applied which could put the cost of the shirt in the $100.00 range. 

Whoa!  Wait a second!  While I agree that the GSP is generally unsuitable for modestly-priced, lightweight items such as shirts that can be sent by international lettermail, I do have to point out that the $19.95 in import charges includes whatever taxes and duties are owing on the item.  If I'm reading your statement correctly, you're saying that the item still has to face taxes on top of the shipping and import charges, and that shouldn't be the case with the GSP.

Message 632 of 6,171
latest reply

you do not work for this site.

this is Kalvin's jo. i'm interested in Kalvin's reply

please let Kalvin answer the question

Message 633 of 6,171
latest reply

If you'd like Kalvin to answer your questions, why don't you "attend" one of the Weekly Board Hour sessions hosted by him?

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/bd-p/23000000073

Besides, this is a thread for comments.  A question was not asked by Plee5044.

Message 634 of 6,171
latest reply

You seemed to have mentioned a couple of times that Kalvin is no longer employed by eBay.

Message 635 of 6,171
latest reply

I know that this current shipment will be my first and last one using Global Shipping Program.  From the poorly designed tracking system to the poor breakdown of what exactly the so called Import Fees are for on a used power supply. Having someone in a warehouse opening the box and  then having a possibility of them using care and  all the packing material that the seller used is something that rubs me the wrong way. Never mind that the delay that this opening of the package adds to the shipping process.

Along with the horror stories of people on YouTube and PB  Facebook page receiving their shipment damaged/squashed possibly due to PB lightening the weight of the parcel by not using all of the original shipping material. As there are two shipping companies involved USPS to KY center then whomever PB deems suitable to transport the shipment to Canada it will be hard to lay a claim for shipping damages if one should occur.

Also if the shipment is not insured by the seller the liability is limited to cents per lb up to $100 .

Message 636 of 6,171
latest reply

Along with the horror stories of people on YouTube and PB  Facebook page receiving their shipment damaged/squashed possibly due to PB lightening the weight of the parcel by not using all of the original shipping material. As there are two shipping companies involved USPS to KY center then whomever PB deems suitable to transport the shipment to Canada it will be hard to lay a claim for shipping damages if one should occur.

Also if the shipment is not insured by the seller the liability is limited to cents per lb up to $100 .

Once the item gets to Kentucky safely responsibility for safe delivery passes from the seller to the reshipper, PB Inc or affiliates, so they'd have no reason to lower the packing quality, they'd have to pay up if the item was broken.

Your second satement is meaningless. The buyer is covered for 100% of money paid,if they make the lost or damaged item claim through ebay.

Message 637 of 6,171
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:

As PitneyBowes assumes liability for the shipment once they assume possession of it, it makes no sense for them to take on board a parcel or package that's been damaged by the carrier that transported it to the Global Shipping Center.  They simply won't do it.

And while there is a maximum liablity clause of $100 in the terms and conditions for sellers using the GSP, it has nothing to do with insurance or lack thereof on the shipment.

Message 638 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Once the item gets to Kentucky safely responsibility for safe delivery passes from the seller to the reshipper, PB Inc or affiliates, so they'd have no reason to lower the packing quality, they'd have to pay up if the item was broken.

Your second satement is meaningless. The buyer is covered for 100% of money paid,if they make the lost or damaged item claim through ebay.

If the buyer is 100% covered then why is it that this person over in Japan was left out to  dry and was told that since the item was not insured that his $400 circuit boards were going to be covered to a max of $100 due to shipping damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwZgcoc_zw

Message 639 of 6,171
latest reply

1. International Returns. The returns policy specified by your Seller in his/her listing description of a GSP Item will apply to your purchase of the GSP Item For GSP Items that you return to your Seller, you will not be eligible for, and you will not receive, a refund of any Program Fees that you paid to Pitney Bowes.

For example on my recent purchase, power supply for a  which is a $47 item I am being assessed a 25% surcharge on the item (13% of that could be GST/PST) .

Say  PB repackages the item into a smaller box because PB deems that the box used by the seller was too large and that downsizing resulted in the item being damaged due to less packing material. According to the International Returns clause for the GSP program I will be out the $22 GSP fee (shipping and surcharges) plus I will have to ship back to the seller via traceable means the damaged item. That means at least another $20+ fee which means I have spent more than this item is worth on shipping fees. Because PB deemed that the box used by the shipper was too large and downsized it which of course also saved PB money shipping it from KY. 

Paypal only covers buyers for the following:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=CA&locale.x=en_CA#13 

1. You did not receive the item you paid for with PayPal – “Item Not Received” (INR); or

2. You received an item you paid for with PayPal but it is “Significantly Not as Described” (SNAD) (as described below)

In case of damages due to shipping caused by repacking with less packaging material, one would have to deal with GSP. If the item did not have additional insurance then the amount that would be covered is max $100 or so many cents per lb. I still would have to ship the damaged item back and be out the shipping costs on the original purchase.

Message 640 of 6,171
latest reply