Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

If I am not satisifed due to shipping regarding the price and how long it takes, then i have EVERY right to complain about this. I have made many comments due to unsatisfied shipping over the last 10 years and never had a problem with leaving such feedback

You have no such right with GSP items, that is the new difference. Read the seller terms and conditiuons for the GSP regarding Feedback.

Message 1501 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

but the sellers feedback is gonna pay consequence to it. maybe then eBay will start listening to peoples concerns when their feedback is starting to show negative comments around the way their item was shipped.

Bad FB will be removed, as will bad DSR stars. It is one of the 'benefits' of the GSP, and is designed to comfort sellers. See the seller terms and conditions.

Simply shopping elsewhere, contacting the seller or waiting till the same item appears elsewhere seem more effective solutions.

This is not true, he makes it sound like you cannot leave negative feedback with sellers using GSP, and you can, if your seller for eg sends you a item, that is not close to the description,AND the seller will not work with you to resolve the issue,  you can file a claim, and if you win, you can leave negative feedback, GSP does not blanket sellers from getting negative or neutral feedback.. read the seller terms and conditions carefully.

Message 1502 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

This is not true, he makes it sound like you cannot leave negative feedback with sellers using GSP, and you can, if your seller for eg sends you a item, that is not close to the description,AND the seller will not work with you to resolve the issue,  you can file a claim, and if you win, you can leave negative feedback, GSP does not blanket sellers from getting negative or neutral feedback.. read the seller terms and conditions carefully.

It seems pretty apparent to me that the comment about negative feedback being removed is in response to sellers receiving negative feedback about the shipping method.

Message 1503 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

It seems pretty apparent to me that the comment about negative feedback being removed is in response to sellers receiving negative feedback about the shipping method.

he makes it sound like all bad feedback will be removed, and it really depends what the negative feedback was a result of..So not all negative feedback can be removed.

And anybody that leaves negative feedback because of slow shipping , should think what they are doing..once shipped the seller has no control over how fast it gets there,so leaving negative feedback because of slow shipping is irresponsible. GSP or No GSP.

Message 1504 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:
he makes it sound like all bad feedback will be removed

I suppose it does if one doesn't bother to read the statement that closely or take the context into consideration.

Message 1505 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

You're allowed to dispute/complain about the shipping method used in feedback, HOWEVER you're not allowed to dispute/complain about eBay policy/programmes or the use/execution thereof in feedback so you'd have to be very careful in not to explicitly say "GSP" in feedback at all because to do so you're mentioning an eBay programme and policy thereof, thus eBay employees can and will act to nullify that feedback due to how the feedback system works.

eBay has structured their feedback system so you can't really take anything (except seller communication) that happened "in eBay's world" to feedback, only stuff that happened in the "real world" may be taken to feedback, this includes things like lost items/poor shipping speed/poor shipping costs/etc. You're disallowed from attempting to reflect poorly on eBay process in feedback, the GSP is no exception and actually has mechanisms in place where eBay actually protects sellers from most forms of recourse against the use of the GSP.

So given this, you'd have to say "Shipping method caused issues" in feedback, not "Use of GSP caused issues" to be at least fairly certain your feedback wouldn't be censored.

Message 1506 of 6,171
latest reply

So given this, you'd have to say "Shipping method caused issues" in feedback, not "Use of GSP caused issues" to be at least fairly certain your feedback wouldn't be censored.

Based on what I've read on some of the U.S. boards, it is still possible that statement would be removed.

Message 1507 of 6,171
latest reply

Yep, I made my very last GSP purchase in 2012. I left negative feedback about the unbalanced discrimination with which Canadian buyers are saddled and guess what - it never showed up.

Gee, maybe this comment will be removed and never show up too.

Well played eBay, I have never since bought from a vaunted "GSP provider". I shop only Canadian now.

Message 1508 of 6,171
latest reply

@highland.2112 wrote:

Well played eBay, I have never since bought from a vaunted "GSP provider". I shop only Canadian now.

While I applaud your sense of nationalism, I do wonder why you've chosen to punish U.S. eBay sellers who don't use the Global Shipping Program.

I also wonder if you purchase from Canadian eBay sellers who charge sales tax(es).

Message 1509 of 6,171
latest reply

Why isn't ebay offering to make it easier to search USA sellers that do not use GSP, this option could be added to the side bar , as they give us a choice to either choose.

eBay Canada

Message 1510 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

Why isn't ebay offering to make it easier to search USA sellers that do not use GSP?  This option could be added to the side bar , as they give us a choice to either choose...

My guess is that it would open a can of worms.  Buyers could start demanding to be able to search for sellers who don't ship by UPS, or who only ship by oversize letter, and so forth.  Where do you draw the line?

Also keep in mind that sellers have the ability to use the GSP on some of their items.  Why eliminate sellers from your search who are using the GSP appropriately and shipping directly through the postal system when it makes more sense?

Message 1511 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

Why isn't ebay offering to make it easier to search USA sellers that do not use GSP?  This option could be added to the side bar , as they give us a choice to either choose...

My guess is that it would open a can of worms.  Buyers could start demanding to be able to search for sellers who don't ship by UPS, or who only ship by oversize letter, and so forth.  Where do you draw the line?

Also keep in mind that sellers have the ability to use the GSP on some of their items.  Why eliminate sellers from your search who are using the GSP appropriately and shipping directly through the postal system when it makes more sense?

I dont agree it will open up all kinds of demands, as you know Ebay does what it wants to, they rarely listen to sellers /or buyers, unless it also benefits them.

we can choose just Canada , and eliminate the rest of the world.. they actually gave Canadians a choice to not buy from USA sellers .. we want to buy from USA  sellers ,but we don't want the GSP.

I don't see any sense to use the GSP, when  i weight the difference between GSP  vs USPS, USPS  comes out on top.When i weight UPS vs USPS  , USPS  comes out on top.

Message 1512 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

I don't see any sense to use the GSP, when  i weight the difference between GSP  vs USPS, USPS  comes out on top.When i weight UPS vs USPS  , USPS  comes out on top.

And how about when you compare UPS to the GSP?

And if all things were equal in terms of speed and service, which one of these listings would come out on top for you?

This one:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm//231109518592

or this one:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221185724902 ?

Message 1513 of 6,171
latest reply

You only have a rating of 1 for being a member for almost 10 years?

@marnotom! wrote:

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

You can post whatever you like, we live in a free country.

i myself respect your post, it is evidence of the continuing very slow sales on this site

I'd respect your post if you elaborated on the "continuing very slow sales on this site."  Claims like that need to be backed up with evidence.

If that isn't evidence of slow sales!  Almost non-existant.  How can you critisize other members who are regular purchasers? 

Message 1514 of 6,171
latest reply

You only have a rating of 1 for being a member for almost 10 years?

It is a posting ID, marno probably has as much experience as I do.

Message 1515 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

And how about when you compare UPS to the GSP?

And if all things were equal in terms of speed and service, which one of these listings would come out on top for you?

This one:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm//231109518592

or this one:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221185724902 ?

AS i said before it not all about the cheapest price with me..in your eg..the GSP is cheaper by 16.00...if the import cost are right, as they say its an estimate.. If i was force to buy either of these two i would spend the 16.00 more and stay away from the GSP.., as i feel more confident that i will get the product sooner, and it good condition....When i think about all the people that have had issues with GSP, the stress, the time you spend, 16.00 really doesn't mean alot..

But really you had picked these two items on purpose to show that GSP can be cheaper then USPS, even though you skip over cheaper alternatives not using GSP... so really if i was shopping for one of these i would probably buy this one in Canada, refurbished , not something i would use everyday...different color, this is how i shop.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cuisinart-DCC-450BKIHR-Stainless-steel-4-Cup-Coffeemaker-/171192827174?pt=Sma...

Message 1516 of 6,171
latest reply

What about my first question, Rick?  Which comes out on top when you compare UPS and the GSP?

Message 1517 of 6,171
latest reply

By the way, did you see that I started out the second question with, "If all things were equal in terms of speed and service"?  Your answer actually compares the speed and service quality of both shipping methods.

Message 1518 of 6,171
latest reply

" Which comes out on top when you compare UPS and the GSP?"

Does it really matter?

We all know that in the vast majority of cases, Canadian buyers will end up paying more when buying from American sellers using GSP then they would have paid if the same seller had sold the same item without GSP.  That is a reality we all understand.

Why?  Because most items offered by American sellers using GSP have low value and should not be offered with GSP.

We can all find exceptions but what is the point?  eBay has confirmed the program is not working as intended.

Message 1519 of 6,171
latest reply

From eBay yesterday:

"eBay does realize that we didn't do a great job at the onset of the program.

But I can tell you that steps are being taken to make things more transparent as well as more customizable. I know that might sound a little vague, but it can take a while to make changes to policies around here ...."

Message 1520 of 6,171
latest reply