Confusing tracking USPS to Canada Post

None of this makes any sense and there was no delivery attempt despite USPS saying there was.

USPS Tracking :

October 7, 2021, 6:53 pm
Attempted Delivery Abroad
CANADA
We attempted to deliver your item in CANADA at 6:53 pm on October 7, 2021.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

September 28, 2021, 5:34 pm
Departed
TORONTO, CANADA

September 27, 2021, 6:38 am
Processed Through Facility
CANADA

September 27, 2021, 6:38 am
Customs Clearance
CANADA

September 25, 2021, 10:00 pm
Departed
DETROIT, UNITED STATES

September 24, 2021, 10:00 pm
Departed
DETROIT, UNITED STATES

September 23, 2021, 11:09 pm
Departed
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES

September 23, 2021, 6:07 pm
Arrived
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES

September 22, 2021, 2:05 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 22, 2021, 1:38 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

September 22, 2021, 1:38 pm
Arrived at Regional Facility

September 21, 2021, 5:28 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 21, 2021, 4:13 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
INGLEWOOD, CA 90301 

September 19, 2021, 3:24 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
INGLEWOOD, CA 90301 

Canada Post Tracking Of the same item:

Date Time Progress

Oct. 76:52 pm
International item being forwarded to destination country
Mississauga, ON
Additional information

Your shipment is on its way to the country you sent it to.

We rely on local postal services to share tracking information. We will update the delivery information when it becomes available.

Sept. 276:38 am
Item has arrived in Canada and will be presented for review
Mississauga, ON

Sept. 222:05 pm
International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada
Uslaxa, USA

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The Canada Post info makes it sound like it is being sent back to the USA.

Did the Additional information show anything?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

What is the mailing service used as stated on the listing page and on the USPS website?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service from seller

USPS website : 

• Postal Product:First-Class Package International Service
  • Features: Small Packets

I called up CP and the lady said that it is most likely an error in which the way it was scanned. She said that usually when items are en-route back to the US a return shipping label is printed and it would be indicated somewhere on the tracking.

The virtual assistant says this :

As of 2021-10-07, your International Inbound Express item has departed Canada and is en route to MISSISSAUGA, ON.

Hoping it does arrive sometime soon.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I used to obsessively follow the tracking of my items until I realized that doing so doesn't make any difference to whether or not I receive my items and it doesn't affect how quickly they arrive, either.

If you need to be home to receive your package, it's probably best just to start keeping an eye on the tracking three or four days before the first estimated date of delivery.  I've found that knowing the scan locations between where it was sent and where you are doesn't really do me any good.

If you've waited until today (or yesterday) to check the tracking of your item. you're doing it right.  😁  At this point, I wouldn't get worried about the confusing location information, though.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Are you the buyer?

Don't look at tracking, it will just stress you.

Tracking is a Seller Protection against false claims of non-delivery.

What is the last date eBay gave you for delivery?

Has that date passed?

If not, relax and mark that date on your calendar.

If it has, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an automatic Item Not Received Dispute.

This does not require any human interference. It is pretty straightforward and efficient.

The seller will be required to show Proof of Delivery.

If he can't you will be refunded.

If the purchase is delivered later (and most Not Received problems are actually late deliveries) you can contact the seller about returning the refund.

As far as I can see, your purchase was mailed on Sept 19, went first to LA then to Detroit. Then it pass Canadian customs on Sept 27, and Toronto on the 28.

On Oct 7, there was an attempted delivery to you.

So far a bit slow, but nothing much. The dates als o match.

Your parcel is probably at your local PO awaiting pickup today. You should have received a Notice about that.

Don't ever read tracking. Seriously.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thats the thing, there was no attempted delivery. Even CP's tracking doesnt show it there.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Don’t worry about the USPS tracking at this point. It looks as though the item’s gone through the Mississauga Gateway sorting facility. Assume the part about the “destination country” is a glitch unless you find out otherwise or you live in St. Pierre or Miquelon. 😄

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The global shipping, USPS to Canada, is seriously flawed.  The USPS tracking number is only valid until item gets to the global warehouse in Kentucky- then the number is useless.  I’ve been waiting for my eBay item for 30 days!!  I can’t track it past Kentucky.  **bleep** eBay?  Can’t you do better?  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Once the item reaches the Kentucky depot, USPS is not used.  They haven't issued a tracking number started with letters? I think that they usually start with UA...

If you do have that tracking number, then you may be able to track it at https://tracking.pb.com/

If that doesn't help and it is past the estimated delivery time, go to your purchase history and click on the drop down arrow next to that transaction.  I'm not sure of the exact choices given but you will either click on item not received OR contact seller and then item not received.  Mark somewhere in the claim that it is a gsp transaction.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@zebrakat13 wrote:

The global shipping, USPS to Canada, is seriously flawed.  The USPS tracking number is only valid until item gets to the global warehouse in Kentucky- then the number is useless.

The Global Shipping Program is a forwarding service.  The USPS tracking number is for a US domestic mailing method that cover's the item's passage from the seller to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  After that, other carriers handle it.  As @pjcdn2005 says, the UPA-prefixed tracking number you were given when you purchased your item should have a record of most of the other carriers used, but it hasn't been working so well lately with the new carriers that the GSP is using within Canada.

@zebrakat13 wrote:

I’ve been waiting for my eBay item for 30 days!!  I can’t track it past Kentucky.  **bleep** eBay?  Can’t you do better?  

You don't really need to track your item when all you need is to ensure that you have the item within the timeframe stated on the listing.  If it's now past that date, then, yes, you should be concerned and let the seller know as a courtesy.  Decide how long you can wait past the last estimated delivery date before making a claim with eBay for a non-received item.

It does appear that a lot of items forwarded through the GSP are taking at least a month to arrive, though.  Holiday shopping volumes, COVID, wipeouts in the transportation network, and new carriers that seem to be working on the cheap are likely culprits.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

As noted upstream :

Don't look at tracking, it will just stress you.

Tracking is a Seller Protection against false claims of non-delivery.

What is the last date eBay gave you for delivery?

Has that date passed?

If not, relax and mark that date on your calendar.

If it has, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an automatic Item Not Received Dispute.

This does not require any human interference. It is pretty straightforward and efficient.

Slight change"

The GSP will be required to show Proof of Delivery.

If they can't you will be refunded.

And another guide to tracking GSP shipments, if you want the stress.

@Unison worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.

TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
I found this thread today while awaiting a shipment. Once I learned that Pitney Bowes was the relevant company, I was able to find my package's tracking info in about 10 seconds.

Step 1: Go to the Pitney Bowes Parcel Tracker page at https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

Step 2: Enter your eBay-supplied Global Tracking number (mine began with UPAA...)

Step 3: You will be shown limited tracking info. In my case, only up to the point the package left the USA and entered Canada.

Step 4: Click on the "Track on carrier's website" link at the top right.

Step 5: You will be provided with tracking on the page of the actual shipping company, in my case Canada Post, with a tracking number in THEIR system.

Problem solved! If only eBay would put a link to https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/ in their shipping emails, this could all be avoided... 

But don't try to follow tracking.

Mark the last estimated date for delivery on your calendar, and if it hasn't arrived by then, open a Dispute and get your refund.

If the shipment arrives after the refund, GSP doesn't want it back.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply