Conversion rate when paying

Any tips on how to sync the Paypal currency conversion to Ebay one?

I bought an item and got a nasty $50 surprise when Paypal used a 0.77USD exchange rate. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, no.

PayPal's rate is reality -- eBay's rate is pie-in-the-sky fantasy as it completely ignores exchange conversion fees and (if there is a delay in payment) changes in the buy/sell currency rates.

If just using your paypal balance for a US$ purchase: convert from Canadian currency before you pay. PayPal charges about half a percent more doing a purchase payment conversion versus a conversion between PayPal balances (this was a summer 2017 change). Then just pay the purchase from the PayPal US$ balance.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Unfortunately, no.

PayPal's rate is reality -- eBay's rate is pie-in-the-sky fantasy as it completely ignores exchange conversion fees and (if there is a delay in payment) changes in the buy/sell currency rates.

If just using your paypal balance for a US$ purchase: convert from Canadian currency before you pay. PayPal charges about half a percent more doing a purchase payment conversion versus a conversion between PayPal balances (this was a summer 2017 change). Then just pay the purchase from the PayPal US$ balance.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay listings always state that the conversion is approximate.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I realize that the best ebay can do is offer an approximate exchange rate.....

but I think it should be closer to a 1% variance than what it usually shows.

Currently the exchange premium to convert on Paypal is about 3.5% more than what ebay shows.

Ebay is aware that most buyers use Paypal to pay for their ebay items.   Ebay also knows that paypal uses their own exchange formula which tacks on a bit for Paypal's coffers.   Unless ebay is a 5th grader, it knows that the approximate exchange that they post on their website is misleading incorrect.

My guess is they are trying to encourage bidders from upping their bids thinking that they are spending less than they actually are.  (3.5% more)

There is no way that ebay would post their exchange rate 3.5% higher than Paypal's conversion rate.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Depending on how much business you  do in US dollars over your whole business, not just eBay/Paypal, have you considered opening a US dollar account with a US bank?

It may not be worthwhile if you are basically a hobbyist, but we have an account with Centaura Bank, which is owned by RBC.

We put US funds into Centaura and transfer them to our US dollar RBC account then to our RBC Canadian dollar account, skipping at least one layer of exchange fees.

It was worthwhile for the family business (big enough to support 10 employees) but not for my personal hobby level business.YMMV.

BTW-- that's something you may be leaving out of your calculations. PP is a US company and uses (I think)Western Union Bank. There are fees upon fees.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Another way to avoid the conversion surprise is to think in $USD and buy on ebay.com.  Then you never see $CAD to muddy the waters.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@komics4sale wrote:

I realize that the best ebay can do is offer an approximate exchange rate.....

but I think it should be closer to a 1% variance than what it usually shows.

Currently the exchange premium to convert on Paypal is about 3.5% more than what ebay shows.

Ebay is aware that most buyers use Paypal to pay for their ebay items.   Ebay also knows that paypal uses their own exchange formula which tacks on a bit for Paypal's coffers.   Unless ebay is a 5th grader, it knows that the approximate exchange that they post on their website is misleading incorrect.

My guess is they are trying to encourage bidders from upping their bids thinking that they are spending less than they actually are.  (3.5% more)

There is no way that ebay would post their exchange rate 3.5% higher than Paypal's conversion rate.

The conversion rate that eBay uses is the midway point between the currency's "buy" and "sell" rates on currency exchange markets.  The proper term is "midmarket rate" and it's the same exchange rate as that used on sites such as xe.com use and the exchange rate you'll see reported in the business section of a newspaper.

Since the use of the midmarket rate is pretty much standard in other situations, for eBay to use something other that that would likely cause confusion for those with some experience dealing with foreign currencies.

PayPal states on its website that its spread or mark-up on currency exchange is 2.5% up or down from market rates, depending on whether the "buy" or "sell" rate of the currency applies.

Keep in mind that PayPal does give users the option of having their credit card issuer do the currency exchange, so while you're correct that most eBay listings have PayPal as a payment method, there are circumstances where PayPal will not be doing the currency conversion.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@a52split wrote:

Another way to avoid the conversion surprise is to think in $USD and buy on ebay.com.  Then you never see $CAD to muddy the waters.

One won't also see GSP import charges on the listing page, and that might muddy the waters for some users.  thinking

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

when Paypal used a 0.77USD exchange rate. 

Ask at your bank how much it will cost to buy $100 USD with  loonies.

Then ask how many loonies you will get if you sell them $100USD.

On xe.com at this moment those prices are  (Sunday 3:47amEST)

1 USD = 1.24903 CAD

1 CAD = 0.800622 USD

Not counting any service fees and the banks don't charge the mid-market rate for any transaction with less than six figures ahead of the decimal.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Coast Capital Savings Credit Union is brave (or foolish) enough to post its exchange rates for members on its website, although one may have to do a bit of math to get the desired conversion.

Current midmarket rate for CDN$ to US$ as expressed on xe.com is 0.802589.

Coast Capital Savings Credit Union members' "buy" rate for US dollars works out to 0.78709 Canadian dollars to the US dollar. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

xe.com also gives the 'sell' rate.

1 USD = 1.24591 CAD
(Notice that it has changed in the past two hours.)
as well as the 'buy' rate

1 CAD = 0.802624 USD

Message 11 of 11
latest reply