Do Not Safe Drop

Shippo (eBay's shipping label partner) now allows sellers to mark shipments so that they are NOT left when no one is home to receive them.

While sellers are usually aware of this, if you have concerns about weather, community mailboxes or porch theft, you can ask your seller to mark your purchase 'Do Not Safe Drop' and pick it up at your local PO instead.

Introducing Do Not Safe Drop for Canada Post

If a package recipient is not available for a delivery, Canada Post will leave the package in a safe location nearby. Canada Post calls this a safe drop.

They’ll only make a safe drop if:

• There is a safe place that is sheltered from weather and cannot be seen by passers-by, such as inside a porch or inside a storm door.
  • The parcel does not require a signature or collection of funds, such as duties, postage fees or other fees.
  • The sender has not requested “Do not safe drop.”

“Do not safe drop” is available for API users. If you want to request “Do not safe drop”, you need to set authority_to_leave boolean to “false” in the “extra” field of the shipment object.

In spite of the title, Canada Post has been doing this for aeons, but Shippo is new to Canada.  But Shippo is an American company and pretty young at that.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Do Not Safe Drop

I'm exposing my ignorant underbelly here but what the heck does this mean? "If you want to request “Do not safe drop”, you need to set authority_to_leave boolean to “false” in the “extra” field of the shipment object."

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Do Not Safe Drop

Sorry mo, I only speak English and French, and can read only a little German, Spanish, and Latin. Plus Doric Scots, but nae aene  kens fit thon fowk are oan aboot.

Google Translate was unable to help either.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Do Not Safe Drop

@momcqueenwrote:

I'm exposing my ignorant underbelly here but what the heck does this mean? "If you want to request “Do not safe drop”, you need to set authority_to_leave boolean to “false” in the “extra” field of the shipment object."

Those are instructions for those with their own Application Program Interface (API)

The Authority_to_leave (safe drop allowed) setting needs to be false and included in the extras section of the shipment details for Do not safe drop to be applied.

and I'm pretty sure that's intended for those fiddling with non-eBay Canada Post labels.

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Do Not Safe Drop

@momcqueenwrote:

API stands for "application programming interface".  It looks to me like some coding instructions.  "Authority_to_leave" has to do with whether a safe drop is permitted for the shipment.  If the interface recognizes a "false" in response to that "authority_to_leave", then it means that a safe drop is a no-no.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Do Not Safe Drop

Canada Post promotes ... Flex Delivery.

Parcels can be delivered to a designated postal outlet, and not left on a door step, a community mailbox or elsewhere  that appears to be safe.

The parcels are picked up at the designated postal oulet, and taken home.... 

Flex Delivery is something uniquely set up by Canada Post....

More information at .....

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.page

Message 6 of 6
latest reply