Ending eBay Bucks Program in CANADA but not US????

After reviewing the eBay Bucks Rewards Program, we have made the difficult decision to end the Program in Canada. We want to thank you for participating in the Program and being a valued member of our community.

You'll continue to earn eBay Bucks until March 31, and in early April you'll receive your final Certificate, which will expire after 30 days. As a token of our appreciation, we'll add a US$5 bonus to that last Certificate.

Again, thank you—we have appreciated your membership and hope you have found it rewarding. If you have any questions about the eBay Bucks closure in Canada, please feel free to visit our frequently asked questions page.

Sincerely,

eBay Bucks Team

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Yeah, once again we Canadians are getting shafted by Ebay.

Message 2 of 104
latest reply

cdnpontils
Community Member

At a time when other On line Options are growing Ebay decides to get rid of a Good Thing..then the FAQ says nothing really about why it is over,hard to understand...Do they not think We can Think!!..give it back to US!!..I for one am going to start Selling some items elsewhere.

Message 3 of 104
latest reply

From eBay.com :

http://pages.ebay.com/rewards/faq/canadaclosure.html 

eBay Bucks in Canada to be Retired

Why is the eBay Bucks Rewards Program being discontinued in Canada?
After reviewing the effectiveness of the Program, we made the difficult decision to end it in Canada. We want to thank you for being a part of the Program and hope you have found it rewarding.

Who is impacted by this change in the Program?
Customers who are registered with a Canadian address or on eBay.ca will be impacted by this change.

How much longer will I continue to earn eBay Bucks?
You will continue to earn eBay Bucks on qualifying purchases until March 31, 2013.

Does this change affect my rewards for this quarter?
No, you'll continue to earn eBay Bucks on qualifying purchases through March 31, 2013 and will receive your final Certificate within 15 days a...

Will I earn eBay Bucks when I redeem my final Certificate?
No, you won't earn any more eBay Bucks when you redeem your final Certificate. You'll receive your final Certificate in early April 2013, and have 30 days after the Certificate is issued to redeem it.

What will happen to "eBay Bucks" section in My eBay?
The eBay Bucks section (under the Buy section of My eBay) contains all the important information regarding the termination of the Program in Canada. The page will remain online and updated until early May.

Is there anything I have to do?
No, eBay will take care of everything. All you need to do is redeem your final Certificate by the expiration date.

Will I notice any changes to my eBay account?
You won't be able to accumulate eBay Bucks after March 31, 2013. In addition, we'll be removing the eBay Bucks page from your My eBay section in early May, and you'll no longer see your eBay Bucks status. Everything else will remain the same.

What happens if I buy an item with my Certificate and then return that item after the Certificate expiration date?
If you buy an item using your Certificate and then return it after the redemption period, you will be issued a new Certificate valid for 21 days. Please note that this Certificate won't be visible anywhere on the site, but will be applied automatically during checkout when you make a new purchase.

I just learned about the eBay Bucks Rewards Program, can I sign up even though the Program is ending?
As we wind down the Program in Canada, we are no longer accepting new members.

I still have questions about the Program ending in Canada, is there anyone I can contact?
Yes, you can email the eBay Bucks team at ebaybucksteam@ebay.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Message 4 of 104
latest reply

oilergirl90
Community Member

It's absolutely outrageous!!!  I'm extremely upset about this! X-( X-( X-(

As another poster said, Canada gets shafted by eBay AGAIN!  I'm tired of this.  Absolutely ridiculous! X-(

Message 5 of 104
latest reply

sp9811
Community Member

Yeah figures. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. You cancel it for us, then you cancel it for them also. Don't play favorites ebay. We all have wasted our money on this site. And letting us take a few stinkin pennies off something we might buy isnt gonna kill your multi million dollar empire.

Message 6 of 104
latest reply

hockey_card_corner
Community Member

When the eBay bucks program is over for Canadians, will we also see a decrease in FVF's?

I'm assuming that's where the ebay bucks came from..

or will eBay keep the fees the same & pocket the EXTRA FVF's ?? 

I'm beginning to think they want to make eBay an elite marketplace for large volume sellers & pawn the rest of us off to kijjii ..

No eBay bucks!

Increased FVF's

Disadvantaged Canadian sellers due to CP shipping changes

Some stupid policies for CAN made in the USA , that don't reasonably apply 

Shipping time DSR which should be Handling time DSR

What's next??

Message 7 of 104
latest reply

hchapmandog
Community Member

I also think this is unacceptable. Move your business elsewhere; I am.  Then perhaps Ebay Canada will get the point.

Message 8 of 104
latest reply

I just found out ebay  owns kijiji too!

Message 9 of 104
latest reply

"When the eBay bucks program is over for Canadians, will we also see a decrease in FVF's?"

That is the joke of the year!  I suggest you ask your question to Rodney next Wednesday when eBay's staff and management comes and visits us at 1:00pm Eastern.

Message 10 of 104
latest reply

US postage rates just went sky-high....which is a small  consolation for Canada sellers.

Message 11 of 104
latest reply

Their timing is impeccable.

There have been about half dozen changes, one on the top of the other during the past month or two........

All of which make it more difficult and/or less appealing for Canadians to buy on ebay.

Here is one more.

Message 12 of 104
latest reply

I suspect eBay Inc (the public corporation based in San Jose California) may have decided that the costs of operating eBay.ca are relatively higher than eBay.com and are looking for ways to reduce their Canadian operating costs.

Four years ago, they laid off their entire customer service staff in the Vancouver area (700 employees):

http://www.marketnews.ca/content/index/page?pid=5343 

The staff at the Toronto Head Office was also reduced substantially when eBay's CEO decided to cut the workforce by 10% overall to minimize expenses and increase profits.

This is a public "for profit" corporation and do not ever forget it.

Hopefully the senior management at eBay Inc will not go as far as closing eBay.ca altogether as they did in Japan about ten years ago. And, let's face it, Japan is a much bigger market than Canada which can easily be serviced from the USA without the Canadian identify (such as trading in Cdn$, etc...).

Message 13 of 104
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Odd its only in Canada, wonder if there is more to it.  Years ago there were very attractive ebay.ca specific airmiles deals that haven't happened in a long time.   Staples just announced they are dumping their loyalty program in favour of airmiles.

Message 14 of 104
latest reply

This is just another example of what Ebay as a corporation thinks of the Canadian marketplace and their sellers and buyers. How can Ebay Canada even defend such archaic policies of the Parent company, what exactly is the pont of even having an Ebay Canada when we are treated like some third world bannana republic.  At this point I believe the only option left would be a Canadian boycott of Ebay, but I just don't see it happening. Yes it stinks, but unless Canadians as a whole react, nothing will change.

Message 15 of 104
latest reply

Yeah... Ebay sucks big time!

I used (as in past tense) to buy a ton of stuff.

Not any more.

Fees for sellers are ludicrous, PayPal fees and exchange rates are beyond ridiculous, USPS' rates went through the roof, and now this.

Screw Ebay.

I am taking my business elsewhere!

Message 16 of 104
latest reply

bgwelsh
Community Member

I am not impressed, but I have been looking at other ways and sites to purchase from. You will be getting even less business from me now.

If you had removed it from all countries, then the complaints wouldn’t be so loud.

Corporate greed once again wins out over the consumer!

Message 17 of 104
latest reply

eBay saying "After reviewing the effectiveness of the Program, we made the difficult decision to end it in Canada." isn't a real explanation of why they are discontinuing the program.   It's basically just eBay re-stating that they're pulling the plug.  

What were the issues with the "effectiveness of the Program".

Message 18 of 104
latest reply

When will Ebay.ca be shut down?  Too close a proximity to the US and many Canadians list on .com anyway?

Message 19 of 104
latest reply

""What were the issues with the "effectiveness of the Program".

Well.......... did you buy more stuff on ebay because of Ebay Bucks?

What else could they mean by that?

If not, then I guess the program wasn't effective by ebay's measure of the situation.

For me, I still bought the same stuff I would have bought without the program.  Spent the same $$$$

I considered it a nod or small "Thank You" from ebay and thought it was very nice.

Taking it away from Canada while leaving in the States sends the message that we don't matter.

Not Very Nice any more.........:_|

Message 20 of 104
latest reply