False Return Label Provided for an INAD, Next Steps?

byto253
Community Member

I opened a return for an item not as described.  Clear cut case, no question about the INAD.  

The seller is not in North America, they accepted the return and send me a Canada Post label for small packet surface, with the description of "letters" and a Value way below the purchase price.   And they sent me a message saying that the label ID is the tracking number - the USxxxxxxCA number that is under the bar code beside the text stating NO DELIVERY SCAN . 

So a label without tracking, and the info on it has a falsified description and value. - invalid and bogus all around.   But in the eBay system it says a label has been provided and to ship by Dec. 21.   

I have messaged the seller back that the label is invalid for the reasons stated.   Should I be contacting eBay right away and not waiting for the seller to respond?   Any other advice for this one?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The seller is obviously trying to use the cheapest route they can (they will be out two shipping charges - to send it to you originally and pay for return). International surface mail can take MONTHS so it should always be avoided, they used it only because it was the cheapest. They lied on customs, again to try and avoid any more fees with duty or import when it arrives back to them. You will have no proof at all if and when the package gets there other than the seller's honesty and it may go past the window allowed for returns if it takes too long on route. Tracked packages internationally are quite pricey but is the only way you would have the proof you need. I don't know the value of the item but if it is high enough it would be way to risky to use the false label they sent. I would try customer service to see what their advise is but don't use the label they sent. Others here may have more experience on this, at least you still have a couple of weeks to work it out if they are saying it needs to ship by the 21st. If you're really lucky the seller will respond, cancel the label and issue a proper trackable one!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Agree, do not use this label.  I got a response back and they admitted it was untracked and that they put the value low to avoid customs and taxes, and that the description is not something I should worry about.   I contacted eBay and that facilitated things.  My case has been put back in the seller's court and they have been referred to another group for review.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If a seller provides a non trackable label then the onus is on them. You would still win an inr if they said the item wasn't delivered.   But you would probably have to contact customer service directly to fight that  as it isn't a situation covered by the automatic system. And it would probably take forever to settle it too so its best that you are handling it as you are.

That information is written down somewhere as I'm sure I quoted it not long ago but can't find it right now.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The seller has refunded, then sent a message saying I refunded to show you can trust me, and wants me to ship back to him with the untrackable label and falsified customs info.  I messaged back that the return label must have tracking and cannot have falsified customs information  on it.  

eBay shows the case as closed so at this point am I correct to assume that my shipping it back to him is at my discretion and goodwill?   

I don't mind if the proper label is provided, or the funds for me to buy one are provided, but unless that  occurs I am not shipping.   If I get another message I think I will just respond that the requirements for shipping are as I have indicated and I will not respond to further messages unless that is provided. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes it is at your discretion at this point.   As far as the customs info, it is the receiver who is responsible for incorrect customs information, not you.  But if you don't want to leave it as it, you can always manually change it on the label. Which country is it going to?

Actually, since the seller provided the label without tracking,  even if they hadn't refunded you first, it would be their responsibility if the package got lost not yours,  but that could be a bit of a hassle to clear up. That is written somewhere in the help pages, but I can't remember where it is.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply