Global Shipping Program UK to Canada

There is a real problem with the GSP from UK to Canada. I collect antique clocks. Antique clocks are duty free to Canada but tax of 13% is still applied. EVERY antique clock on eBay UK that uses GSP charges at least 25% and frequently much more for "duty and taxes".  The reason for this is simple...a seller in the UK does not have the option of selecting "antique clock" for GSP but is forced to use the "collectable" category which would indeed incur duty on top of the 13% tax. This is raising the price needlessly, and if the UK broker is collecting duty on antiques, that is also not legal. Case in point: Clock currently listed, 1550 pounds "buy it now", import charge 411.70. If we do the math that's 27.4% when it would only be 13% if a seller just sent the item by regular means. Even factoring in a brokerage fee, this is ridiculous...all because you can't list an antique clock as an "antique" under eBay's GSP.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Global Shipping Program UK to Canada

marnotom!
Community Member

I can't find anything on the eBay UK Global Shipping Programme info page that states or suggests a restriction on Antiques:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/global-shipping-programme/default/global-shipping-programme?id=4646

Having said that, that list is apparently not exhaustive and I think when the GSP was a thing on the US site, its handling of antiques was problematic at best.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply