Global Shipping Program/ package to Canada

jjjwar
Community Member

I have an item I bought from the USA that is coming to me by the Global Shipping Program.  First time. Normally I go out of my way to avoid anything with GSP attached to it. In this case it was unavoidable. Sadly.

I am guessing my item will be delivered by Canada Post. Will I get a Canadian tracking number? Is there anyway to get a tracking number that will work once my item is in Canada for delivery?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

marnotom!
Community Member

@jjjwar wrote:

I am guessing my item will be delivered by Canada Post. Will I get a Canadian tracking number? Is there anyway to get a tracking number that will work once my item is in Canada for delivery?

Odds are that your item will be delivered by Canada Post.  The "UPAA" (or whatever it is) prefixed tracking number should also mesh with Canada Post's tracking, but if you look up your item on the Pitney Bowes tracking website (https://parceltracking.pb.com/ ), there should be an option on the page to track the item "on the carrier's website".

While the GSP is pretty icky, I find it helps to think of it as a glorified forwarding service.  If the GSP didn't exist and I found a listing for a must-have item where and the seller was still pretty reluctant to ship outside of the US, I'd likely have to figure out a way to have the item somehow sent up to Canada myself.

And, really, there's nothing to stop you from getting a US shipping address and doing something similar if you want to bypass the GSP.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I got one tracking code that starts with UPAAB and 15 numbers and another starts with OREUSA ( 9 numbers  ) CA at the end. Neither work on Canada Posts tracking page. There is no link on Pitney Bowes tracking page to let me track using the Canadian carriers tracking.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Does the UPAA tracking state that the item has been received in Canada? 

To clarify my previous response, the link to track on the carrier's website only appears after you enter the UPAA tracking info into the tracking number request on the home page.  Once past that, you will see the tracking information provided by Pitney Bowes.  I don't have a current GSP-forwarded item to track and I only have a fuzzy memory to go by, but I believe the option to track on the carrier's website is in small-ish font near the top of that second page.  You may have to view this on a laptop or desktop computer rather than on a phone or tablet.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I currently have an eBay GSP shipment from the U.K. to Canada, 38 days in transit, last updated in tracking in the U.K. on January 3, 2024 (February 2 today). What can be done really?

In general, eBay shipping costs twice as much and takes two or three times as long as the post office. I've been a member since 1999, but these high carriage costs and frequent lengthy delays with eBay shipping will take me off the platform. I can't be the only one.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

What is the estimated delivery date?  If it is past that date you can open an item not received  claim. You can only do that within 30 days after the last estimated delivery date.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2018.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2018.

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice is usually out of date and no longer useful.

@pjdavies 

What is the last estimated date for delivery eBay gave you?

Has that date passed?

If it has not, mark the last date on your calendar.

If it has open an Item Not Received claim with eBay.

The refund will be paid by GSP/Pitney Bowes/eIS  not by your seller.

It would be nice to let the seller know what happened, so they can make future plans.

Note that the shipping cost included Canadian duty and sales tax for any value of your import over $20Cdn, which makes the shipping seem high.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Last estimated date for delivery is January 9. eBay advised that I had to wait 30 days past that date before making a claim.
Not correct in my observation. eBay shipping is already as much as twice that of USPS or Royal Mail for the size and weight tracked *before* the (in my opinion) inconsistent and sometimes misclassified or inflated added charges for duty and taxes. 
I worked at a global trade and brokerage company for 20 years, and have been privately importing purchased goods since 1971, and have a university education in mathematics, and do not consider that eBay shipping only "seems" high. But, I do not have to purchase through eBay, and will take that option in future. I stopped buying through eBay from May to November last year finding these charges to be unreasonable and service dreadful, then gave it another try, but that experience since has been worse yet for eBay shipping items.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@pjdavies 

You have to make a claim within 30 days after the estimated delivery date.  If you wait 30 days after that date, it will be too late to open a claim. You should open a claim today.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Last estimated date for delivery is January 9. eBay advised that I had to wait 30 days past that date before making a claim.

On the phone?

Either the badly trained clerk made a bad mistake, or you misunderstood.

This is why experienced members  urge others to go to the social media Chats .

You get a transcript which you can review in case what you were told is not what you heard.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, I have acted on your advice.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply