Is it possible to Not get a Tracking Number with Canada Post?

I bought a comic book last month from a seller and he sent it out on December 2nd but it never arrived during the dates he estimated it would come by. I filed an ebay request to ask a question ot the seller for a tracking number but he said there was no tracking when he sent the package cause he used the cheapest shipping option and that there was huge delay in canada post and to wait 14-21 days but that i'm covered if i don't receive it if it gets lost.

I said that was fine but ebay closed the case automatically in my favour last friday and refunded me.

He sent a message stating i was refunded by ebay unexpectedly and if it still comes by the end of the month to let him know so that i would pay him for it.

It still hasn't arrived but i'm curious if it's possible not to get a tracking number with canada post cause i've always gotten one before no matter what so it seems kind of odd that they wouldn't offer tracking to him. I've also never had a package from ontario come to BC this late too so i'm wondering what happened to it.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If the item was shipped the cheapest option, which would be oversize letter mail rate, then NO there is no tracking. There is no tracking on Letter mail/Oversize letter mail...There have been postal delays across Canada for the past few months and the holiday season would have added tremendously to that already over-burdened postal system. 3-4 weeks delivery time within Canada is not uncommon as of late. Back in November, I had a package take 3 weeks going from Saskatchewan to Ontario...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

oh ok, i thought all packages would have a tracking number but i guess he sent it as a oversized letter. i know that it was a busy christmas season but then i always thought packages get pushed faster to send...i guess i'll keep waiting just to be sure but i'm still not hopeful at this point since it's in that 4th week now..

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

He used LetterMail to ship and that service does not provide tracking.

Well, technically, he could have added Registration for around $10 which does track within Canada, but I doubt you would have appreciated that.

Registration is also a 19th century service and very very slow.

Items under 2cm thick and 500 grams can travel by LetterMail. A comic, plus stiffener, even in a bubble envelope would be well under that.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

“Busy Christmas season” is an understatement. “Insane” would be a better adjective.

Google recent news stories on Canada Post if and when you have a moment. 🤯
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have received items from within Canada and from the UK faster than items that “left Kentucky” 2 weeks ago. Untraceable since.
This “Global” system I’m held hostage to using/paying is pretty much theft imo.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Those items are likely waiting to be checked into a receiving delivery hub in Canada, likely Canada Post’s Gateway facility in Mississauga.

They’ll eventually get to you. Whether they’re there or in Yellowknife won’t change that.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Has the last estimated date for delivery passed?

If not, patience, grasshopper.

If it has, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller, but the seller is not involved.

The GSP is a Seller Protection program and your seller completed delivery when your purchase was accepted in Erlanger.

State in the Dispute that this is a GSP shipment.

If the GSP does not prove delivery (not shipping , delivery) you will be reimbursed, including any import fees, I believe.

If the purchase arrives after the refund, GSP does NOT want it back. Happy UnBirthday, it's a gift.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Just to clarify on behalf of honest sellers. If the seller refunds you and then the item arrives - which is probably due to no fault of the seller but rather the problem of a highly inefficient business with highly paid executives that the seller has no control over (yes, I am talking to you Canada Post and USPS) - then it should not be seen as a great result for you, it means that you are a THIEF.

Essentially you have taken something without paying for it and that is theft - The seller has lost the sale, the item, the postage that it paid to have it delivered, fees to eBay and the fixed portion of the fee to PayPal. In other words all the millionaires get paid.

So, either be a scumbag and keep it or contact your seller, be reasonable over the fact that the delay was probably completely out of their control and pay them for it. Or at least, if you no longer want it or it is too late to be useful then contact them and offer them the opportunity to pay for for it to be returned. Be nice and honest - it may make you feel good about yourself.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@mahramducky wrote:

I bought a comic book last month from a seller and he sent it out on December 2nd but it never arrived during the dates he estimated it would come by. I filed an ebay request to ask a question ot the seller for a tracking number but he said there was no tracking when he sent the package cause he used the cheapest shipping option and that there was huge delay in canada post and to wait 14-21 days but that i'm covered if i don't receive it if it gets lost.

I said that was fine but ebay closed the case automatically in my favour last friday and refunded me.

He sent a message stating i was refunded by ebay unexpectedly and if it still comes by the end of the month to let him know so that i would pay him for it.

It still hasn't arrived but i'm curious if it's possible not to get a tracking number with canada post cause i've always gotten one before no matter what so it seems kind of odd that they wouldn't offer tracking to him. I've also never had a package from ontario come to BC this late too so i'm wondering what happened to it.

I haven't checked to see if you're a seller @mahramducky but if you're not, patience is the key here. Canada Post was hit hard this holiday season and USPS was hit even harder due to Covid-19 and a lack of proper staff. I've also come to the conclusion that the American election with mail in voting acted much like the Christmas season. A package I sent to a customer at the end of October did not arrive until 4 days ago.

As a seller I compare sending out packages to sending your children out on their first day of school located on the other side of a dark wood..populated by very large wolves. Sellers do what they can to bundle the kids up and give them plenty of protection. But at the end of the day no matter how hard we try there are still one or two who never arrive there while others lose their way for a time.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply