Item Location Misrepresentation Help

So, this is sort of hypothetical so far since I haven't received my item yet but here's what happened:

I bought an item (worth roughly $35 w/ $3.50 shipping) from a seller a few days ago who claimed the item location as being Toronto, ON (I'm located in Toronto as well) in the listing. However, I noticed today when the item shipped that it was sent via DHL Global Mail and is actually coming in from the US. 

While time isn't such a big issue for me, my problem is that the package will most likely end up incurring customs duties due to it's over $20 CAD value. The main reason I'd bought the item from this seller was because they were located in Canada and I wanted to avoid any customs fees (which I ended up having to pay on my other US package that I got several days ago). Now, though, it seems I won't be able to avoid them after all.

I'm just wondering though what I should do in this case? I don't want to accept the package if there's customs taxes to pay especially since I can get it off another seller who'll be a little more expensive but ultimately not as much with the customs fees. However, I'm not sure how eBay will handle this case? The item description didn't state anything about duties or taxes either, so would I be able to get my refund if I refuse to accept the package? I definitely don't want to be accepting the package and footing the return shipping cost either because it's a bit of a heavy item and Canada Post costs an arm and a leg. Any advice?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@musicyouneed wrote:

I took a look at the sellers feedback and if you look at all the 51 negative responses in the past 12 months, it says he is not in Toronto but in the US.  All the buyers were complaining about the extra they had to pay.  The seller is at 97.3%.

Pays to read the feedback before you purchase.  

Totally right! And this one proves that it is not a good thing to ask buyers to leave feedback (at least not more than once):

Excessive emails about leaving feedback, spamming my inbox.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I have a similar situation, item location says Canada but just found out seller is in UK!  I also ordered from Canada to Canada to avoid duty, etc. and time constraints of when i need item by.  I can not find anywhere to click to report a seller for anything without having to go through a ten step process.  Anyone know of an easy link or email addy to make such a report to ebay?

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Deal with the seller first.

Ask him to cancel the sale, citing the incorrect location of the item, and explaining politely that this will cost you more in duty and taxes, since out duty-free allowance is only $29Cdn.

If he refuses, then Report him.

We're giving him a chance to correct what might be a misunderstanding.

BTW- is this seller using the Global Shipping Program, which is available to UK sellers? That information would be on the original listing.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@reallynicestamps
Typo. $29 —-> $20
Message 24 of 24
latest reply