New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

Member since 2010 (632 100% feedback). I have been experiencing the new compulsory "import fees" policy on items from USA. Surprising! I am disappointed with this policy. It is a negative one on many levels notwithstanding for USA and eBay revenues, as many like myself will now be sure to be motivated to resource items outside of USA, and outside of eBay.

Also disappointing is a story I was told that USPS recently (January 28, 2013) redefined Canada from being an 'intermediary' to an 'international' country, and therefore shipping fees from the USA to Canada have risen 80%!

Must be people in rooms in the USA racking their brains on how to support the USA economy versus just printing money.

Message 1 of 485
latest reply
484 REPLIES 484

collector............. I posted the break down quite some time ago......

Roughly:

Pitney Bowes gets a portion of the money and the way it's broken is really wonky.

They get a flat rate plus some other fee which has no apparent reason behind it other than it's extra $$$.

The seller gets a portion which seems to be the seller's cost to the P-B relay site.

The Canadian Government gets exactly and precisely the correct amount owing.........

There is no way on earth P-B will mess would mess with that.

They know a goldmine when they've found it.

Message 21 of 485
latest reply

I just read the "Global Shipping Program" details  .... they ask for a comment on the page so i added this:

"You forgot to mention how badly you rip off buyers with the exrta fees  .... and sellers will sell less because of it!"

A cranky comment no doubt ... but i believe its accurate.

Thanks to the posters here. Been using eBay since 2004 and had not noticed the new fees to watch out for.

Cheers KJ

Message 22 of 485
latest reply

There is a need for seller's education on the subject.

I agree, and I would add that buyers need to become aware.  Although I do wonder how much a bunch of grousing Canucks will matter to Amercan sellers and/or eBay. 

Nonetheless, I can see this is the future of online merchandising -- everybody with their hands groping around in the little guys' pockets (oh, sorry, that's called a Ponsey [sp?] scheme, isn't it?).

I'm glad I read this subject string.  I'll be watchful from now on when buying from US sellers on eBay.

Message 23 of 485
latest reply

Well for sure I and all the people around me so far will avoid all sellers using this SCAM.  Same reason I avoid any company dealing with UPS as they do the same thing but really go overboard with it.

Ebay contacted sellers last week and asked them to join a program called Global Shipping Program. They said it would help their sales. Obviously it won't as it's a complete rip off to buyers. Ebay Global Shipping works where the buyer pays the shipping to Ebay and ebay tells the seller to ship to a warehouse in America. From the warehouse in America, Ebay has workers who ship the items out. The advantage to the buyer is that it has tracking, but the disadvantage is that it cost a lot more. 20 countries are enrolled in the program with ebay and Canada is one of them.

So much for free trade.

Message 24 of 485
latest reply

Yep let's find out about those grousing Canucks.  Sales are sales and a huge shipping hike plus now if you use that GSP crap you will get stuck with your $1 items...

But them again the economy is doing so well down south that "you" won't notice.

Message 25 of 485
latest reply

We should all keep in mind that American sellers are offered a great incentive to use Global Shipping:

50% off Final Value Fees!

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/fvf50.html 

In addition to the incentive, eBay makes it look so easy:

With the Global Shipping Program, you can sell to the world without the hassle of international shipping! Expand your sales to millions of buyers across the globe—without the hassle of import charges, customs forms, or complex international shipping!

Simply ship your eligible sold item to a US shipping center. The Global Shipping Program handles everything else—cus...

You're not responsible for lost or damaged international shipments and you're protected against lost...

Message 26 of 485
latest reply

trepfra
Community Member

I just got Caught by one of those Global shippng items not noticing or seeing the small lighter print of the so called information.  The system also will be slower as it means the package no longer goes direct to the Post office but to a third party and then is shipped.  This is not service but a downgrading of service and will discourage more people.

Message 27 of 485
latest reply

Having read these posts above about the topic on "import fees" ... well, that do sucks for a Canadian like me, as well to other Canadian buyers. However, that doesn't bother me much since I already have an shipping account in the U.S. there.  With such that subject discussed here - makes me love my account even more!

Seems that the Canada Post is losing its teeth to U.S. postal service, as more new "fees" are being add on top of shipping cost. Plus with the courier services and their so-called "custom fees" ( I prefer call this as "double-dip fees"!).  Things like that is why I switch over to the other side since for few years now. Actually, it's really easier for me that way. Even with the paper docements and recipits in hand - I rarely pay little custom duty fees at the border! 

Fight on aganst compulsory "Import Fees" - get rid of that,  Canadians!

Message 28 of 485
latest reply

"Even with the paper docements and recipits in hand - I rarely pay little custom duty fees at the border! "

That is great if it works for you.

However, the vast majority of 35,000,000 Canadians will not travel to the USA to pick up a parcel or two to save a few dollars in taxes and brokerage fee.

Not everyone lives near the border nor has the time and/or is willing to spend the travel money for that purpose.  I am glad it works for you.  You are the lucky one.

Message 29 of 485
latest reply

The advantage to the buyer is that it has tracking,

That's more of an advantage to the seller than the buyer.

Message 30 of 485
latest reply

Knowing how eBay works, I'm not quite surprised they don't clearly state about the import fees. I'm not surprised either no one thought about giving more information in the shipping details section, something like "Your item will be shipped by a third-party shipping provider". If I'd see that I'll go look elsewhere for a seller who ship its items by himself! And this is probably what they don't want us to do. With theses third-party shipper and import fees, there's no deal anymore in here... no wonder why China sells so much!

And I hate not to know EXACTLY what I will be paying at the end of the auction.

That was my 2 cents... and a bit of frustration too

Alex

Message 31 of 485
latest reply

angel, very few sellers are using the GSP and it's not hidden once you know what to look for.

One of many issues with the GSP is that the first time you see it it's very easy to slough it off as gibberish.  

It's easy to think that you are just being informed that your country can legally collect these fees.  

Many listings inform buyers that there could be import fees in the same place wehre the GSP information is located without billing for them, and until you are actually billed it may just not sink in.

No one is forcing you to pay even if you do get caught a few times until you get used to it.

The real problem with buying from the US is that numerous factors have combined to make it difficult for anyone but their own to buy from them.

They can still buy internationally without much ado, but buying from the U.S. of A. has because challenging.

Maybe it will mean a boost for Canadian sales in time......... or maybe it will mean that the international ebay market will take a big hit..................... or maybe a little of both.

Time will tell.

Message 32 of 485
latest reply

I'm being charged $4 "import fee" on a $14 item. Why am I paying this?  There is NOTHING in the auction that talks about import fees.  Also, I'm not sure I should be paying import fees on items under $20;

2.2.2Mail Items Valued at Less Than $20CDN

The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less. However, this general rule does not apply to certain products including intoxicating beverages, cigars, cigarettes, manufactured tobacco, and publications where the supplier is required to register under the Excise Tax Act. Also, this may not be combined with other exemptions.

So is Ebay breaking the law?

Message 33 of 485
latest reply

That's the P-B service charge........... :).

The service is that it takes longer to get your item and you get to pay premium shipping costs.

Tell the seller and if you're lucky the seller will work with you.

Most are not even aware of how their customers are getting billed.

No one is forcing you to pay.

Message 34 of 485
latest reply

No eBay is not breaking the law.

If you check your listing again, you will notice on eBay,ca:

Import charges: To be provided at checkout ? (the question mark is a link)

If you check your listing on eBay.com, you will notice:

Import charges: $3.34 (estimated and based on current bid)

"However, this general rule does not apply to certain products"

including "books"

Message 35 of 485
latest reply

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html#c1 

To elaborate, many Canadians are not aware that books are taxable (or should be taxed) at time of importation - there is no $20 exemption on books.

Why is that?

Rightly or wrongly, the Canadian federal government felt it was necessary to protect Canadian booksellers by not allowing Canadians to evade the GST tax by buying by mail from American booksellers.

Is the rule enforced by Canada Customs?  That is a totally different story.

Message 36 of 485
latest reply

Hi,

This is the information the "import fees" link gives me on a $14 item;

When you go into detail;

“Import charges”: this amount is comprised of the following variable charges, as applicable:Commodity taxes: any and all sales, goods and services, and value added taxes or other amounts assessed or levied by any government authority in connection with the importation of goods into the applicable country of importation, including, but not limited to, duties, tariffs or excise taxes, but excluding income taxes, that are required to be paid in respect thereof upon importation to any governmental or regulatory authority in the country of importation, as well as third party brokerage fees (such as advancement and disbursement charges and any and all additional handling or filings fees due to third party customs brokers) and penalties (but excluding any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to, or made available for pickup at, the delivery address specified by you) <---- this does not apply to a $14 item

Classification fee: a variable fee associated with the assignment of a Harmonized System (“HS”) classification code to each commodity. An HS classification code is a numerical code used as the basis for the calculation of applicable customs duties and is usually required by your local customs authorities for importation declaration. If the GSP Item that you purchase is not subject to Import charges, this fee will be included within the Shipping amount quoted to you; <---since duties don't apply on a $14, I should not be charged this fee

Export compliance fee: a fee covering export compliance screening, verification that export licenses are not required, and the assignment of an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN). If the GSP Item that you purchase is not subject to Import charges, this fee will be included within the Shipping amount quoted to you <<strong>---since duties don't apply on a $14, I should not be charged this fee

Importation risk premium fee and variances: a variable fee covering operational expenses associated with short-term loss recovery and the management of any variances between the quoted Import charges and actual costs. <- since there is no duty, there won't be any variance.  Since the shipper is using insurance, no loss coverage needed

I'm trying to determine why I'm getting charged $4.  According to their policies on their website, I shouldn't.

Even if you charge me the 6% for a phonograph record and the GST it's not $4.  I'm getting hit with a 30% charge for my purchase for no apparent reason.

when I click on Import Fees, the outline scenarios that don't apply to an item under $20

Message 37 of 485
latest reply

How much are you being charged for shipping?

US$ 4.00 (domestic USA)

or US$ 16.83 (International Priority Shipping)

Message 38 of 485
latest reply

Pierre,

$16.83 for International Priority with Tracking etc...

I'm also getting hit with a $4 import fee above and beyond the $16.83

That's a total of $20 or so to import a $14 used Phonograph Record

I understand policies and times change, but a few months ago this would have been $7 shipping with no import fee.

I understand the fees have gone up in the USPS, but this is extreme

I will honor the sale, but I'm wondering about future purchases for my own sanity

Message 39 of 485
latest reply

"but I'm wondering about future purchases for my own sanity"

When purchasing from the USA, you should check eBay.com (not eBay.ca) to see what the "import charges" are, if any. Not all American sellers use "global Shipping". Then make a decision to buy or not.

The "import charge" does not show up when viewing listings on eBay.ca.  eBay.ca is aware of the problem and may eventually fix it (or not). 😞

Message 40 of 485
latest reply