Newegg Canada store apparently royally screwed up

I purchased a small item from Newegg Canada on eBay. Over the years I have purchased several hundreds of dollars of merchandise without issue. However, the latest purchase was cancelled with a cryptic reason of :

"Buyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address.
Additional information provided by the seller: "

which is completely incorrect. When I contacted Newegg a CSR went and checked and said 

"Our records show the order was canceled because eBay has the wrong tax amount listed for your zip code. Please contact eBay directly to deal with it. EBay is the one canceling those orders when the tax amount isn’t right."

Further research on my part showed other Canadian based sellers have no problem charging taxes.  It appears that Newegg Canada eBay store is not charging Canadians any taxes but whose orders for Canadian accounts are being automatically cancelled. Sigh.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Newegg Canada store apparently royally screwed up

When you say "I have purchased several hundreds of dollars of merchandise without issue. " should we understand that all of these were with Newegg or were you buying from many different sellers? 

EBay is "just a venue" for millions of independent sellers, some big like Newegg and WalMart, some occasional sellers cleaning attics or disposing of lightly use baby clothes.

The CSR for Newegg apparently does not understand that Canada is not a US state but an independent country. Only the USA uses "zipcode" instead of the more universal "postal code" or "post code".

I'd start by going back to Newegg and confirming with whatever CSR you get that she understands that you are calling from Canada and that we are, in fact, not part of the USA.

If that is a problem for her, ask for a supervisor until you get one that can grasp that concept.

If Newegg as a corporation thinks they are selling into Canada (and possibly other nations) but are not able to set up to collect and remit......

Oh...

Is this a company with any physical presence in Canada?  The name is vaguely familiar but I seem to remember they are actually a Chinese or Hong Kong company?

If they have no presence in Canada, there is no tax to be charged on purchase. If they are exporting to Canada (whether from China or from a US warehouse) any duty or sales taxes that need to be collected will be assessed by CBSA and collected by Canada Post (or other carrier).

Could you give a sample listing number so we can see what it actually says?

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I don't know how useful it is, but the state of Oregon has no "Internet Sales Tax"  and the governor's office has 97301 as a zipcode.

This might be useful as a workaround.

John Smith

123 Any Road

Anytown ON K1A 0A6

CANADA

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

My two bits...

I buy directly from Newegg.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

The "I have purchased several hundreds of dollars of merchandise without issue. " was from Newegg on eBay since their pricing is sometimes lower than their Canadian website.

Newegg.ca has a warehouse outside of Toronto I believe where some of their product is shipped from. The product that is not normally stocked in Canada is shipped from their US warehouse and incurs higher shipping costs.

Could you give a sample listing number so we can see what it actually says?

For example, add this item to your cart. You should be charged taxes on item. You are not. You can go ahead and pay for the item but in a couple of hours you will get a cancellation email.

Newegg in Canada has put a somewhat half-hearted attempt and I usually use them for reviews. Newegg website does not stock everything in Canada but rather some items are shipped from their US website which results in higher shipping on some items.

Many years ago if you are in Canada you could order from Newegg.com and even after taking into account the exchange rate and other fees some of the deals being offered in the USA were less money than Newegg.ca. However, Newegg put a stop to that and require Canadian based buyers to purchase from Newegg.ca

P.S. It is not worth the hassle trying to get through to the higher ups at Newegg, I contacted them via eBay message system when I go the redirect to unregistered address cancellation only to be told 

"Thank you for contacting Newegg. I see the order was voided because of the wrong tax from ebay. I do apologize for the inconvenience. Refund has been issued already. Please feel free to further check at your ned."

Perhaps when Newegg wonders why they are seeing all these automatic cancellations from Canadian buyers they will wise up.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I buy very little from Newegg.ca myself but instead use Newegg.ca website for reviews and price matches with a local retailer here in Canada. The reason I use Newegg on eBay is that some of their prices for items are cheaper than their Newegg.ca website. The other reason is that eBay bucks offer come around and I stock up on some regularly used parts via their eBay store.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying but  Newegg Canada ships only to Canada, They have a separate store on .com that ships only to the US.  If it is true that they are cancelling Canadian orders ordered on .ca because the item ships only within the US then it it shouldn’t be In their Canadian store and yes they have goofed up if it is on .ca.

I dont understand their tax message either considering that they are the ones that set up their own Canadian tax tables, it has nothing to do with eBay.   Plus, their Canadian tax seems to be working fine.  I added the item you suggested to my cart and it shows that I would be charged gst which is correct for Alberta so I don’t agree with your statement that they aren’t collecting tax in Canada.   I think the tax message that you received must be a standard message sent out that probably has nothing to do with your cancellation,

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

So basically, the problems are with Newegg and not with eBay?

Unless the seller , any seller me, Newegg, momnpopRus, GoodWill,  sets up the eBay listing correctly, there are going to be problems.

And it sounds as if Newegg is not really interested enough in Canadian sales to correct errors.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Correct its Newegg Canada and their consumer-facing support people are just parroting the same story that their supervisors tell them. The issue described is Newegg storefront has a configuration issue.  It has not dawned on them at  Newegg Canada its their issue. 

Perhaps the lack of sales and massive cancellation of orders will eventually make someone at Newegg Canda realize what the problem is. I have no desire to do battle with their consumer-facing level 1s. There are more places to buy computer parts from.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

My initial post in this thread is strictly concerning Newegg Canada store on eBay Canada

If you did a test on http://www.ebaystores.ca/neweggcanada and added an item to your cart and the cart showed a GST amount for you then NewEgg Canada must have screwed up the tax tables for Manitoba then. A friend and I are located in Winnipeg and we both had transactions cancelled after the fact because no GST was being calculated on Newegg Canada eBay storefront for any item. In my case, the auto cancellation message indicated the reason for the cancellation as:

"Buyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address.
Additional information provided by the seller: "

Which is totally wrong reason.

The reference about Newegg.com no longer shipping to Canadians and instead requires Canadians to use Newegg.ca website and not be able to avail themselves of deals otherwise not available to Canadians was to point out that for me Newegg.ca website has become less important over the years for me to order computer parts. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I'm in British Columbia where we're charged provincial sales tax and GST.   When I popped a Newegg Canada laptop into my cart, I didn't get tax calculated, either.

Seeing as Newegg Canada still seems to be getting positive feedback for recent sales, I'm going to hypothesize that the problem occurs when somebody from a province where PST and GST are charged purchases from Newegg Canada's eBay Canada store.  If the buyer only has to pay GST or HST, there's no issue.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:
...When I contacted Newegg a CSR went and checked and said
"Our records show the order was canceled because eBay has the wrong tax amount listed for your zip code. Please contact eBay directly to deal with it. EBay is the one canceling those orders when the tax amount isn’t right."

eBay does not cancel Canadian orders because the sales tax amount was wrong -- eBay assumes the seller has created a proper sales tax table and uses that.

A look at one of newegg's ebay items shows no PST/RST part for Saskatchewan or Manitoba -- although newegg says they do collect it.

https://kb.newegg.ca/knowledge-base/sales-tax-gst-pst-and-hst/

Their tax table probably got screwed up by someone in their sales department. Newegg is the one cancelling the sales.

-..-

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Totally agree and instead of Newegg taking the time and effort into determining what the issue is they instead are pointing fingers at eBay.
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

That could be a distinct possibility but I think we are all in agreement that the problem is Newegg Canada's not eBay. As I said we will see if they wise up when sales from those provinces show up as auto cancelled items it may cause a bell to go off at Newegg Canada office and they will fix it. I just thought I would post this in case others are affected by this issue that it may help other buyers determine that the issue lies at Newegg's feet not eBay. 

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Have you tried to do a "Contact Seller" message? That might be the only way to get a direct message to the Newegg rep for eBay sales, to get on the issue. It is definitely a Newegg.ca/eBay operations manager's issue, not eBay itself, nor any other Newegg.ca manager or CSR...etc.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I did a “Whois” search for the Newegg Canada website and there doesn’t seem to be any Canadian involvement apart from the website’s host.

I suspect that Newegg’s Canadian operations are strictly distribution of warehoused product. Anything related to consumer purchases is likely handled in the States and it will probably be a very long wait until someone there discovers something is amiss unless it’s pointed out to them.
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Oh ya I have contacted Newegg Canada CSR via their Canadian website and Newegg Service and both blame eBay and both CSR have told me, a buyer of their goods on eBay, to contact eBay and get eBay to fix the issue.

To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement.  I contacted eBay today and indicated that there is no issue with doing a sample purchase from other Canadian based eBayers and having the taxes assessed properly.

I also mentioned to eBay that the onus is on someone from Newegg Canada to contact their eBay rep and sort it out.  A buyer should not have to get involved with this issue.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

That could very well be the case and is why over the years I have used Newegg as a last resort for computer parts. I primarily use them for reviews and pricematching with other Canadian retailers.  This experience has reinforced that decision.

Over the past 4 days I have pointed this issue out to several people at Newegg Canada and their meh attitude re the issue means that selling on eBay is a hobby to them. Their real income is from their website sales.

Thankfully there are other Canadian retailers whose attitude is 180 degrees opposite of Newegg Canada.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I bought something from them just a week or two ago, no issues. 

Interestingly, that item shipped from the  Calgary, AB depot, which was good news for me as I am in B.C. Super fast shipping.

Speaking of the various places to buy computer stuff, anyone remember the huge books they had with prices for a la cart products? Used to be this huge book from NewEgg, NCIX, TigerDirect among others. You had everything from RAM to printers. Those were the days.

I even had a business account at TigerDirect for years and a personal rep, got a few discounts over the retail prices.

Ah, glory days. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I've never had an issue buying direct either.

I did my due diligence waiting for great sale prices on every component to build 2 PCs in the past 5 years.

The items all shipped out of BC, Alberta, or Ontario.

Here are several recent examples from the PC I'm on now:

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI.pngCore i5-9600K.pngWD BLACK.png

Message 20 of 27
latest reply