Odd Canada Post page

jdj53
Community Member

Hey guys, I purchased a sterling silver spoon from a seller in Massachusetts back on April 3. He shipped promptly using USPS with tracking. The spoon made it to Canada on April 16, but there has been no movement since then. The weird thing is when I go on Canada Post to check status with the USPS tracking number, instead of showing any status, it simply says multiple pin. I have no idea what that means. The last date that ebay gives for delivery is May 5. Should I alert the seller now about the package to give him time to alert USPS of a problem, or wait until May 6?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Odd Canada Post page

Multiple PIN means the tracking number has been used before. Call Canada Post - they will be able to track this for you.

Incidentally, I have two USPS packages taking forever to get to me (see my post from today). Not showing any updates on Canada Post. Now I'm wondering if this is just a USPS/Canada Post Tracking glitch...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Odd Canada Post page

jdj53
Community Member

Just talked to Canada Post, no help whatsoever. Just says the package is somewhere in the system in Canada, either with Customs or Canada Post. No idea where. The Multiple Pin is a glitch they know about, but haven't been able to fix. I guess I'll wait a week or so after May 5, and if it hasn't arrived, I'll put a claim in with ebay. It's not the sellers fault or my fault, we are now dealing with third world postal systems!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Odd Canada Post page

I'm convinced there's issues with Canada Post's tracking of international items. I have two that's were tracked fine with USPS... but as soon as they hit Canada - nothing. Hope yours shows up.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Odd Canada Post page

In normal times, shipping from the USA took about 20 days on average.

EBay and the postal system are allowing  32 calendar days, which seems logical what with *everything*.

Mark May 5 on your calendar and stop looking at tracking.

Tracking is a Seller Protection against unwarranted Not Received claims. It does nothing for the buyer but cause worry.

You can open an Item Not Received dispute on May 6 and not before.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, not tracking, DELIVERY) you will be refunded.

When the spoon shows up after that, you have a different ethical dilemma.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Odd Canada Post page

I just read that the afteroon shift of 90 workers at the Customs Exchange office in Mississauga Gateway have been sent home for ten days due to Covid. That is the department that handles international packages. That will slow things down even further. I'm going to wait for a couple of weeks after May 5 to launch an INR claim. I'm still covered in the 30 day window, but have at least given the parcel every chance to arrive. If the parcel arrives after the claim, I can paypal the seller back the money. At least I am covered if the parcel disappears in the system.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Odd Canada Post page

Most "lost" parcels turn out to be "delayed" parcels.

From a seller's point of view, it would be nice if we could enter the tracking that shows delivery into the eBay Dispute system and automatically get at least our selling price back.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply