Offer accepted but terms not met

Hi, I made an offer on a product for the price they wanted, but included faster shipping in my offer. It was accepted but the same shipping time given when paid for and shipped. What can I do? How do I contact eBay about this as it really is a breech of our agreement.
Thanks!
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Offer accepted but terms not met

I am fairly sure ebay shows a "disclaimer" to both the buyer and seller, when using the best offer option, that the offer is for the price of the item only, shipping not included.

Your seller may not have noticed your request to upgrade the shipping service.  

Had your seller verbally/by email, agreed to the shipping upgrade or, are you just assuming that by the seller accepting your best offer, they are somehow legally obligated to upgrade the shipping?

Don't waste your time contacting ebay, as there will most likely be nothing they will do for you in this instance.

You may want to contact the seller, remaining calm and factual, however, remember, by eBay rules, your offer was only for the item, not for shipping upgrades, in spite of your note requesting otherwise.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Up until today, I would have agreed that the terms of submitting a Best Offer state that 'you cannot include shipping' but I'm not seeing that right now. Only the price and a shipping cost plus the field to enter text. Maybe ebay changed this, either by accident or on purpose. 

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 4.43.12 PM.png

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

That spot that used to talk about how a buyer submitting an offer couldn't include shipping in it is now vanished. I think we'll need to clarify whether ebay changed something here without telling its sellers about it. 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Ha.  How about that. Whodathunk it?

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

whether ebay changed something here without telling its sellers about it. 

They would not dare. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

This is somewhat concerning. I think we should clarify if there was an actual alteration to the rules and how buyers and sellers are supposed to manage expectations around Best Offer, or whether this is due to some glitch where text has disappeared but the policy is still in place. Board Hour tomorrow? 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

If something changed, it was very recent. I accepted an Best Offer only a few days ago and the Shipping Terms section was still active and present at that time. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Good plan. I will check in and see what R has to say about it. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Shipping was included. My offer was for faster shipping.
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I know. Our point here is not that. On the pop-up page where a buyer makes their Offer used to be a section of text that specified all discussions about shipping could not be included in the terms of a Best Offer. This section of text has mysteriously disappeared in the past week. What day did you buy this? 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Oh, I see what you are saying. This was purchased yesterday.
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Intersting. We will take this question to ebay Canada staff tomorrow at the Join the Weekly Board Hour where eBay Canada staff will be available every Wednesday to answer questions from 1PM - 2PM Eastern http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/bd-p/23000000073 because if something with Best Offer has changed it will have far-reaching effects and this was nothing we had been told about as either sellers or buyers prior to you raising your related question. 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Ok, great. Thanks for bringing this forward. I wouldn't have bought knowing the delivery date extending as far as Dec 27. Hence why I offered, but with quicker shipping.

Much appreciated!
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

We'll ask about it and update your thread. Hopefully, the response we get from eBay Canada staff will allow us to properly answer your question here today.
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

The reason for excluding shipping from Best Offers is that when the seller chooses the shipping method, it is a form of Seller Protection.

The choice of service allows the seller to decide if he needs tracking and also how fast the shipping will be.

When a buyer demands a different service then she USUALLY is also demanding that the seller give up that protection because USUALLY the request is for cheaper, slower and less secure service.

In this case the buyer is asking that the seller upgrade the service, BUT there is no indication that the buyer is willing to PAY for the upgrade.

While the seller is allowed to upgrade a service and pay for it himself, if the buyer is asking the buyer should also be willing to pay for the upgrade.

Just to make this easier for the OP, here are the Canada Post and USPS webpages to give anthony0373 a basis for comparing how much his requested upgrade would cost.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

https://ircalc.usps.com/

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I offered full price, but with shipping included. Received an email that it was accepted. If the seller could not ablige, then the offer shouldn't have been accepted. That is my point.
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@anthony0373 wrote:
Hi, I made an offer on a product for the price they wanted, but included faster shipping in my offer. It was accepted but the same shipping time given when paid for and shipped. What can I do? How do I contact eBay about this as it really is a breech of our agreement.

I don't want to rain on your parade but I don't think you have a leg to stand on as far as a complaint goes.  If all you did was type in the dialogue box that you "want faster shipping" without specifying a service, that could mean anything.

A seller has 7 days to get an item in the mail, after that they lose their seller protection.  Maybe your seller usually mails things on Tuesdays and Fridays but in your case got it in the mail within the hour.  That would be faster shipping. 

With Best Offer, there is not a lot of wiggle room for sorting out each person's whims and terms and what everybody wants.  It is pretty much an Accept or Decline situation.  Your seller accepted. 

You also don't say if the item was a "Free Shipping" item (you do say "Shipping was included")  or if it specified a service and what the service was, or if the listing offered any choice. 

If you read the eBay Help page about Best Offer

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html#fine

all it says about the shipping part is

For listings in which the seller has specified shipping costs for the item, the Best Offer price includes only the listed item. For listings in which the shipping costs aren't specified, the buyer can choose to include shipping costs in their offer.

I think you should have sent the seller a message BEFORE  you made your offer and asked how they ship and if you paid full price would they be willing to offer a faster service if they felt your full price payment was sufficient (see the links from femmefan1946 about just how much each 'faster' service costs). 

I don't see where your seller did anything "wrong" based on such a limited exchange

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Shipping included
Message 20 of 26
latest reply