Open box or Open box condition

A  lot of time when I see items I like to buy.

I see it says Open box or Open box condition.

Are these items actually brand new, refurbished, used or what ?

Because I see some exactly the items which condition says " New " are a lot more expensive.

Is it the only difference is that Open box isn't packaged in originally packaging ?

Open box items shouldn't have any physical defects or defects in the way it operates, and should be the same as new items right ?

Thanks

Zhongjai

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Open box or Open box condition

mcrlmn
Community Member

My personal view: An "open box" item should be in "like new" working condition.

Consumer Reports website says:

"Typically, open-box items are goods returned by customers, inspected by the retailer, found to be in working order, and re-sold at a discount, rather than returned to the manufacturer."

The definitions eBay has are on this page:

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html

"An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and description."

If in doubt ask the Seller.

-..-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

In my experience you can get a good deal when you buy "open box" items but no matter how you look at it, it's gamble because you'll have to rely on someone else's interpretation of "near new, mint" condition. I have to say I've bought 2-3 items (not from eBay) on different occasions and was never disappointed.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"Open box or Open box condition" = Buyer Beware aka Read, Read, Read all the listing details before you purchase the item...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

One problem sellers face is that they may have a new item in a sealed box, but can't figure out how to present the pictures.

I had that problem with some QBit figurines that came sealed with no indication of the contents. This is the kind of toy where New In Box is important to the more ...rigid... collector.

In some cases the supplier did say what was in the box and it was a relatively simple matter to find a stock picture.

And stock pictures can be the answer for the baffled seller.

In other cases, I had to bite the bullet and open the box neatly to show the contents. The value was lessened of course. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

So my-

"Item specifics
Condition:
Open box: An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and description. See all condition definitions

So what does a factory second mean ? Any defects ?

Thanks

Zhongjai
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

A factory second is an item that cannot pass the manufacturer's standards.

A dress might have a missing button, or a pulled thread.

A pair of earrings may have a missing jewel.

A clamshell casing may have a blue top and a green bottom.

It does not meet the brand standard. Usually a factory second is perfectly usable, but cosmetically imperfect.

The real garbage doesn't make it out of the factory.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply