Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Why is Ebay ripping off Canadian customers with a non-existent import charge?

i talked to our customs department in canada were i live and i brought up this hole idea of import charges being charged on everthing and they told me that a lot of stuff including used stuff does not have import charges on them . so why am i paying it if it doesnt apply . I guess just another money grab for ebay . can anyone shed a little light on this because i getting real tired of being riped off .

Message 781 of 3,104
latest reply

New or used most things imported to Canada with a value

over $20.00 Canadian are subject to GST/HST  taxes.

You may not pay duty on most things but you will pay taxes

on most things,,  New or Old.

You buy used things in Canada you pay taxes

cars, houses, furniture etc.

Message 782 of 3,104
latest reply

Is it manufactured in the USA or only assembled there?

In any case the GSP will charge you the sales taxes (between 5% and 15% of value depending on your province) plus a $5 service fee.

And this will be charged before shipping. USPS/Canada Post were they to ship the item, would charge the same tax (and duty if applicable) and a $10 service fee.

UPS or other couriers would charge the same duty and tax plus a $25 or more service fee on your doorstep before turning the item over.

But if the manufacturer ships to Canada and does so cheaper than any eBay seller, why fuss ? Buy from the manufacturer.

Message 783 of 3,104
latest reply

The item is fully manufactured in the USA. The item I was referring to, in this case, was half the actual retail price charged by the manufacturer and when purchased from the manufacturer, in the past, it was shippped Priority International Shipping with no import charges or additional charges from Canada Post. It is delivered as regular mail & a delivery slip is left in my mail box for pick up from the post office with no additional charges. . I live in Alberta & there is no sales tax. I have purchased this item from other Ebay members in the past & have never paid import charges when shipped USPS.
Message 784 of 3,104
latest reply

@porkos123 wrote:

i talked to our customs department in canada were i live and i brought up this hole idea of import charges being charged on everthing and they told me that a lot of stuff including used stuff does not have import charges on them . so why am i paying it if it doesnt apply . I guess just another money grab for ebay . can anyone shed a little light on this because i getting real tired of being riped off .

I'm not sure what you mean by "import charges" in this context and I'm not sure what exactly you asked "our customs department" but I suspect there's some confusion between the notion of items from the United States being charged taxes (and duty), and the notion of items from the United States being subject to taxes and duty.

To be clear:  Personal imports from the United States are subject to charges of tax and duty--even used ones--if they have declared values of more than C$20 (in general).  However, Canada Border Services doesn't always charge the recipient for those taxes due.  The Global Shipping Program, on the other hand, will always charge for taxes and duty due if the item is subject to those charges.  (Plus various processing fees, etc.)

It's been a while since the link to the Canada Border Services information page was trotted out.  I think it's time for it again:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 785 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi ainsilie. 

After some messaging back and forth both internally and with Pitney Bowes, here's what I know. 

I'll paste the carburetor specific info below. But I also wanted to mention that one of the reasons it took so long to get a reply posted was that I was also trying to figure out why your transaction was allowed to get as far as it did ... only to have it stop in its tracks. I was trying to figure out if it might be possible to have a flag or trigger attached to items, at the listing level,  that might get stopped at the Shipping Center. I am still pursuing making this a reality, but it is now officially in the pipeline ... which is a start. 

Here are a couple direct quotes, regarding the shipping of carburetors:

++++++++++

New carburetors should not be a problem.  We run into issues with previously used carburetors since they have had flammable liquids in them before.  Where things tend to get tricky is when the carburetor is refurbished.  Put simple, if there is an odor of gasoline – refurbished or not – it will not go forward.

We have had at least one example where the box itself smelled more of gasoline than the refurbished carburetor inside, suggesting that perhaps the box became incidentally contaminating and transferred the odor to the carburetor.  Even so, we can't ship items forward that noticeably smell of gasoline or any other flammable liquids.

++++++++++

“Even new carburetors that have been tested with gasoline can not be carried on planes as normal items. They are considered Dangerous Goods.”

>>And then, in regards to other methods of shipping:
"Members could potentially get around it, yes, by shipping through non-GSP shipping services.  However even other shipping services wouldn't ship if they detected an odor of gasoline."

Apologies for the long-winded answer. And again that it took me so long to respond. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Message 786 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello Bennet;

Thank you for your response.

I have my doubts that there  are any new Briggs & Stratton carburetors that get stopped in transit.

I do understand the reasoning behind the restriction. I just don't believe that anyone is shipping carburetors with gas in them.

I have been buying carburetors for my old tractor collection for a few years now and before the GSP never had one stopped in transit for any reason. I have one on the way now that was not shipped using the GSP system and it has cleared customs without a problem and the carrier has no problem.

I find it strange that the GSP people smell gas when no one else does. I find it strange the two carburetors smell of gas and the one shipped via another method didn't.

And at the price of gas I doubt anyone is spilling it out.

Unusual, unusual , unusual.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards

Message 787 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi Bennet et al;

FYI. I checked with the seller of the item that was stopped in transit. I was told that the carburetor had not seen fuel in 15 years.

Thanks again

Message 788 of 3,104
latest reply

*think* part of the issue is the "used" distinction. No one came right out and said it, but my impression from the email exchange was that if a carburetor is marked "used" it is against Pitney Bowes policy to ship. (This is why I was digging into getting the "used" distinction to trigger something earlier in the process).

So the SMELL of gasoline is one issue, but a carburetor being listed as "used" is another issue, whether it smells or not. 

Again, sorry for all the run-around. 

Message 789 of 3,104
latest reply

The simple answer would seem to be to send the carb by post with the description, 'auto parts' and without the GSP

Message 790 of 3,104
latest reply

Message 791 of 3,104
latest reply

If it's coming from outside of Canada and over $20, then yes.

Message 792 of 3,104
latest reply

I was just charged $5.12 import charge on a $29.95 item. There is no import charge on an item this cheap into Canada.

Message 793 of 3,104
latest reply

If item is not declared as a gift to Canada Custom by the USA Shipper and The shipper put real item value on package. There will be big fee to pay to Canada Post when receiving the package.

I have tried the Global Shipping Program and buy a computer from the USA.  It work very well and the fee was really reasonable.

It's so useful for USA seller that only need to ship item to the eBay Related Shipping company and then, I think the company pass the custom with the item because it don't stall for inspection and you get a new tracking number from Canada Post(local tracking), as it's very different from usual shipping with usps, that keep the same tracking number in Canada..

I think it's based on the same base as China Post EMS, Since you get a different tracking number also when using this type of shipping from China and package rarely stall at custom.

Regards,

Message 794 of 3,104
latest reply

The maximum price before being charged import taxes is $20.00

Message 795 of 3,104
latest reply

@kenj6369 wrote:

I was just charged $5.12 import charge on a $29.95 item. There is no import charge on an item this cheap into Canada.

Just to underscore the previous comment, an item of that value is subject to tax charges.  Whether or not the item actually is charged those taxes if sent through the mail from the United States (or anywhere else other than Canada) is a different matter entirely.

Message 796 of 3,104
latest reply

I'm not sure if this is part of global shipping or not.  Some US sellers, not all thank God, will only use the International Priority mail to ship items to Canada.  A child's Barbie ring was $0.95 Buy it Now. The shipping was $27.95 to Canada. What a load of **bleep** that is. To me it felt like the sellers were scamming me. Consequently I didn't buy it, I removed the seller from my list of sellers to buy from and continue to do that to my seller as I come across their site. For others I don't buy from some of the sellers that I used to because of it nor, do I buy from any seller which, doesn't give me the choice of shipping options.

I can't see how eBay would let this outrageous shipping situation continue. Some blame it on a buyer saying they didn't receive it so, using priority mail gives you a tracking number. If there were that many buyers claiming they didn't get their item to force sellers to go to priority International, how did they even stay in business? The other thing it says, is only Canadians were stealing shipped items by saying they didn't receive it.  US buyers didn't, obviously, since their shipping is upwards of 70 - 80% lower.

So, I totally reject the reasoning and implications, of going exclusively to PMI. I also believe that eBay should force sellers to give buyers the choice of what shipping they want to use. Feedback is supposedly held in such high regard but, a Canadian buyers feedback means nothing here, when it should mean something. If after 3, 5, 15 yrs as a buyer and their rating is 100% and having many buys, it's a pretty good indication that the buyer is honest but, to eBay and it's US based sellers it means nothing in this case.

I have always been satisfied with first class mail international. All the items I have received have always been packed securely and more importantly, I have never claimed I didn't get an item in the 10 yrs or so I've been a buyer so, I don't believe that I, and thousands of others like me, should be punished for being honest, and that is what it is, punishment for being honest.

carrollnb

Message 797 of 3,104
latest reply

Carrollnb, Global Shipping Program listings have "International Priority Shipping" listed as the shipping method.  Shippers shipping directly to their buyers by US parcel post have "Priority Mail International" listed as the shipping method.  To complicate things further, USPS has renamed its international express mail service (EMS) "Priority Mail Express International."  

This use of the term "priority" to describe shipping methods has become so inappropriately used and overused that it's practically meaningless now.

By the way, First Class Mail International (AKA international letter mail) packages are now trackable to Canada if the seller purchases the postage online.

Message 798 of 3,104
latest reply

what happened to free trade between canada and the usa ?          what is this import **bleep** ?   i,ve been on ebay 9 years ..  i havent sold anything here for 4 years (why? you ask)    shipping prices to buys was too expensive ,,, i sold used items and sometimes the shipping was higher than the item , so i stopped selling on ebay and went elsewhere.....now a days i look at the shipping of items and then i notice   IMPORT CHARGES !!!!!!!   HOLY SMOKES     ebay was bad enough before with all its fee,s between paypal transfers and pictures and listings  ect.......   i dont sell anything anymore on ebay and a hardly ever buy anything.... i feel sorry for the person who is looking for an item and gets roasted with ebay fee,s and import duties....   sad

Message 799 of 3,104
latest reply

@brenline1 wrote:

what happened to free trade between canada and the usa ?          what is this import **bleep** ?  

Free trade hasn't eliminated all duties from items from the United States.

And it certainly hasn't eliminated sales taxes.  That's mostly what you're paying in your "import charges" for a GSP item.

If free trade were about eliminating taxes, we wouldn't have to pay GST/PST/HST, etc. on stuff made in the USA that we buy from a store.

Message 800 of 3,104
latest reply