Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

EBAY sucks!

EBAY HAS RECENTLY DECIDED TO START RIPPING OFF EVERY FOREIGNER THAT PATRONIZES THEIR CLIENTS.Ihave been robbed by them for the last time! Hello Kijiji!BYE BYE CROOKED EBAY!

Message 881 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

I wish I had known about this GSP before I placed an order yesterday, I most certainly would not have purchased through eBay.  As a Canadian I enquired to some US sellers what is this Import Charges, most KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT.

After purchasing from a US seller the seller was sending my part to Kentucky. I called and told them they were shipping south not north.  They knew nothing about eBays switch and grab.

I will wait till my part arrives and if I've been WRONGED BY EBAY I will use them as nothing but a search engine and buy outside of eBay using PayPay of course.

Message 882 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

How do I know where the item is?

With the Global shipping program, you get a GSP number. The next number you get is a tacking number that indicates that it has been received at the shipping centre. 

How do you find out what the tracking number is in the destination country? The shipping centre should have that information and have it updated immediately upon printing the new postage documents for the item. 

On the buyers end, the buyer gets an email from say Canada Post with a Canada Post tracking number but there is no way to tie that tracking number to the Global Shipping Service number or the Global tracking number or even the item itself. If they go to their purchases page and look at all their items and check their global shipping program items, sometimes that new tracking number for the destination country is NOT updated. How do you make the link?

I have gone back to an item where the link was made through the purchase page(one that I know matches up) and checked the following different reference numbers that happen during this process: item number, global tracking service number, the global tracking number, the reference number and the new tracking on the Canadian side.  There is no way you could link any of the reference numbers provided by ebay, the global shipping program, the global tracking number, or the new tracking number in the destination country.

So, question is, when an item has been sent through the Global Shipping program, and there is no update of a tracking number for the destination country, is there a way to get that number? 

Message 883 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

I wish I had known about this GSP before I placed an order yesterday, I most certainly would not have purchased through eBay.

What baffles me about these complaints is that  the buyer sees the full price and details of GSP charges before committing to buy the item.

Why on earth do they continue with the purchase?

Message 884 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

So, question is, when an item has been sent through the Global Shipping program, and there is no update of a tracking number for the destination country, is there a way to get that number?

NO.

Accept it.You can't control everything in your life.

With the Global shipping program, you get a GSP number.

That means that your seller has sent your item to the plant in Kentucky and they have received it.They are now responsible for getting it to you.

If it doesn't arrive, and allow 20 days for arrival after payment, file an Item Not Received dispute with Paypal and get your money back.

Keep in mind that as a buyer, it is actually counter-productive if the seller uses a tracked system like Global Shipping.

If you don't get the item, say because someone removed it from your porch mailbox, or it got delivered to those sketchey people next door, and the delivery person has it marked as delivered, you cannot win an Item Not Received dispute, and are out both your item and your money.

Message 885 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

I have been buying from Ebay for many year and all of A sudden this import charges appears on my invoices ,I never paid this before which makes it expensive to shop on ebay once you paid all extra charges such as shipping charges ,customs fees and now import charges I can buy my item locally just as cheap or even cheaper and have it sooner.I have stop buying from ebay completely until I can find where this fee is about.

Message 886 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

This link is intended for sellers however it does explain the Global Shipping Program

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

Message 887 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

If a seller uses Global Shipping that information is displayed near the top of the listing.

You can simply pass them by and chooses to buy from a seller that doesn't use the program.

pb.jpg

Message 888 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

@motorcycleman19660 wrote:

EBAY HAS RECENTLY DECIDED TO START RIPPING OFF EVERY FOREIGNER THAT PATRONIZES THEIR CLIENTS.Ihave been robbed by them for the last time! Hello Kijiji!BYE BYE CROOKED EBAY!

You do realize that Kijiji is owned by eBay?

Message 889 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

What baffles me about these complaints is that  the buyer sees the full price and details of GSP charges before committing to buy the item.

In response to "afantiques" I knew nothing about GSP and the seller new anything about ("Import charges"(IC) part of the GSP) on his webb site and that goes for 6 other sellers too. When I right clicked on (IC) it was referred to as "answer to the ever confusing duty, taxes Canadians pay after the sale" and that may very well be, however "GSP WAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE CLARIFICATIONS " .  I won't know for a couple more days what my outcome will be, but judging from the comments made it doesn't look good.

afantiques, I believe you must get baffled easily because you don't think things through before you make a comment as that. You see the world is full of colour it's not all "black and white".

Judging by the number of posts you've made I suggest getting out more, try gardening. 

Message 890 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

The sellers I've talked to have no idea of theses charges are on their auction.

Message 891 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

Judging by the number of posts you've made I suggest getting out more, try gardening. 

I have a man to do the gardening. Paid for out of  money made on ebay...............

Message 892 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

Smiley Happy

Message 893 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

I know this has been discussed quite a bit, but I can't find any definitive answers...

I've calculated the "import charges" based on the current bid to be equal to about 43% of the bid price!  ($18.03 on $42.00)  This is completely outrageous!  There is no freaking way that the duty on an item is anywhere near that high.

It's always been up to the buyer to deal with duties and customs fees -- why is eBay now getting its hands dirty here, and how is it calculated?

Message 894 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

Hi,

I notice that some sellers use the global shipping option.  If you buy a product that is made in the US from a US seller, we don't pay duty under NAFTA.  How do you buy this product without using the global shipping option?  I didn't see any other option for shipping on this particular item.

Ian

Message 895 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

Hi,

I don't know how they figure out the fees, but I am having the same problem.  If you buy an item from the US that is made in the US, you don't pay duty under NAFTA.  I gather this is not factored into the cost of the item when you purchase it.

My understanding, and I will stand corrected if necessary, is that Pitney Bowes handles this for Ebay.  I gather to make a profit a charge must be added on.

Sorry I can't be of any better assistance.

Ian

Message 896 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

ask the seller, maybe they will be willing to ship regular mail.

Message 897 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

Just because the seller uses the GSP, doesn't mean you will be charged duty on your NAFTA made item.

You will be charged sales tax and pay the $5 shipping charge.

Only.

Make sure your seller understands that he MUST mark the parcel that he sends to Kentucky with the place of manufacture (Made in USA) so that Pitney Bowes who run the program do not open the package. They are quite bad at repacking.

Message 898 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

arlene_v
Community Member

A poster on the .com boards linked to this article ....http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m03/i20/s01

I was surprised to read the following comment  made by an eBay employee Raphael@ebay.com during the March 12th weekly board chat

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/March-19th-2014-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/214464#U...

"The GSP team is working on a program enhancement specifically to allow US sellers to ship their GSP items to Canadians without charging the import tax and fees up front. The details of how this is going to work are still being figured out but we should see this implemented this year."

Please Kalvin, or Bennett, could you give us some idea of what this is going to look like, and also possibly how it will work? 

Many thanks! 

Message 899 of 3,104
latest reply

EBAY sucks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have asked many sellers to remove the outrageous import fees and most will not. I used to buy a lot of items on ebay and have stopped because of the high import fees. They are even charging import fees on items that are $22 which Is completely incorrect. I guess US sellers do not want Canadian business. It is a money grab for I am guessing ebay.
Message 900 of 3,104
latest reply