Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: what is up with this global shipping scam that ebay has?

"As to the charge.

Canada theoretically charges duty and sales tax on imports valued over $20.

CBSA and CPO have come to the sensible conclusion that it makes no sense to do this, since it costs more in labour than could ever be collected."

The analogy between the CBSA collecting duty and PB repackaging GSP items, could lead to the same sensible conclusion, it makes no sense.  And all this time we have been lead to believe the cliche that PB was repackages items to save on shipping costs to Canada.

Message 1381 of 3,104
latest reply

Because the seller does not know.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying. - eBay notice.

And actually that is the whole point of the Global Shipping Program.
Your seller will not ship directly to you. She ships with cheap domestic delivery confirmed shipping to the GSP plant in Kentucky and from there all responsibility is taken by Pitney Bowes who run the program.

However, on fixed price items, your postal code allows the listing to show both the seller's shipping charge AND the GSP 'import charges" . (The charges are made up of duty, tax and service charge. And no, you can't get a breakdown.)

There are two buttons to click before you confirm and pay for an item. If you find the total too high don't click the second time.

If the item is an auction, the import charges will show on the current high bid if shipped to your province. Logically, they will be somewhat higher if you bid and win. If this worries you, don't bid.

Message 1382 of 3,104
latest reply

It costs "nothing" for a CBSA officer to ignore a small or low value item as it goes through her hands. At a glance she can read the value and move on. These front line workers are paid $25 an hour or more. (I've worked for CBSA).

The PB worker who is opening, examining, assessing and repackaging a parcel, is costing PB money while he does it. Even at $7..25 an hour.

The only item I've ordered that came under the GSP was opened. It was a book about  45x30x2 cm. If it was repackaged, then someone didn't explain the purpose to the line workers because the box it came in was about 50x35x 10 cm.

Message 1383 of 3,104
latest reply

"It costs "nothing" for a CBSA officer to ignore a small or low value item as it goes through her hands. At a glance she can read the value and move on. These front line workers are paid $25 an hour or more. (I've worked for CBSA).

The PB worker who is opening, examining, assessing and repackaging a parcel, is costing PB money while he does it. Even at $7..25 an hour."

Then it would likely be more cost effective for PB to ship basically "as is" without the additional labor costs.  The cost of doing "nothing", beyond the obvious, would be comparable in both instances.

Message 1384 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi,

I am a buyer from The Netherlands and I bought a cd which turned out to be a cd-r.

I got a refund from the seller and was promised a full refund for my shipping costs (GSP).

Untill now I have never received this $17,29 USD refund.

I don't know who to turn to, I can't open another case on Ebay or Paypal because the seller refunded me $13,00 for the item.

Case ID:5061012170

Is there any way you can help me out?

Regards,

Casper Huisman

Message 1385 of 3,104
latest reply

Sorry, you are simply out of luck, seller fault claims are excluded from the GSP entirely and have to be sorted out between buyer and seller.

There is no way for you to get the GSP charges back.

Message 1386 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@tomathy wrote:

I've received what I believe to be an item that has been damaged due to eBay's GSP. Would eBay be the one to refund me my money? The seller is adamant that he is not at fault, so I can only assume the damages happened after eBay's shipping facility received it. Has anyone experienced a problem like this? Have you ever gotten your money back?

Yes, ebay would refund your money in the item was found to be damaged after the item left the gsp center and you shouldn't have to return the item. You do have to file an item not as described claim in order to get the refund but if the damage was caused by the gsp, then the seller isn't affected once you are refunded by ebay.

Thanks, how long does it usually take for Paypal to go over the claim? Should I just go ahead and call to expedite the process? I kind of need the refund so I can send the item in for repairs.

Message 1387 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks, how long does it usually take for Paypal to go over the claim? Should I just go ahead and call to expedite the process? I kind of need the refund so I can send the item in for repairs.

I'm not sure how long it takes but file the claim first and then you can try expediting it by phoning Paypal directly.

Message 1388 of 3,104
latest reply

Sorry, you are simply out of luck, seller fault claims are excluded from the GSP entirely and have to be sorted out between buyer and seller.

There is no way for you to get the GSP charges back.

I don't think that is correct Af. If a buyer wants to make a return even though the item was not damaged and was as described, they won't get their gsp fees or international shipping fees back. But if the buyers opens a not as described claim and they win, they should get their fees back even if the problem was the seller's mistake.

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

PayPal Purchase Protection. Your purchases of GSP Items using PayPal are covered by the PayPal Purchase Protection policy applicable to your use of the PayPal services if your purchases otherwise meet the policy's eligibility requirements and conditions and do not fall within an exclusion or coverage limitation. The PayPal Purchase Protection policy applicable to your purchase can be found in the PayPal User Agreement and is governed by the applicable PayPal User Agreement's terms. If you are eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection and PayPal finds in your favor on a claim stemming from your purchase of a GSP Item under the Program, the applicable coverage amount will include the Program Fees that you paid for the GSP Item.

Message 1389 of 3,104
latest reply

@repsac73-2008 wrote:

Hi,

I am a buyer from The Netherlands and I bought a cd which turned out to be a cd-r.

I got a refund from the seller and was promised a full refund for my shipping costs (GSP).

Untill now I have never received this $17,29 USD refund.

I don't know who to turn to, I can't open another case on Ebay or Paypal because the seller refunded me $13,00 for the item.

Case ID:5061012170

Is there any way you can help me out?

Regards,

Casper Huisman

If you opened the case and Paypal found in your favour, I believe that you should get back all money paid. I have no idea how long it usually takes to recover the gsp portion but if it has been a few days, I suggest contacting Paypal or ebay.nl if that is where you purchased the item.

Message 1390 of 3,104
latest reply

is there a way to filter out the Global Shipping Program (GSP) items when searching on eBay?

So that I don't have to search items that have import fees + shipping in them and only items that have just the shipping cost from the States to Canada.

Thank You.

Message 1391 of 3,104
latest reply

Okay, so I bought a Lenovo Yoga Ultrabook from New York and shipped it into Ontario, Canada. With that, I had to pay Pitney Bowes $91.99 CAD in import charges. Understandable, right?

Well, the seller decided that instead of shipping it to the Kentucky Center, he decided to ship it using UPS Standard directly to my doorstep. I got it a lot sooner, and I was surprised when they asked me for $128 in brokerage fees at my door step.

I confronted the seller, and he said he shipped it directly to me instead of using the Global Shipping Program Method like he was supposed to do. Now angry, I called eBay, they told me that I can be reimbursed the Global Shipping import charges and to wait a week for the process to be done. Waited, and nothing.

Called again, and they told me they would be opening a case with Pitney Bowes, and that they would get back to me in 72 hours. Well, 5 days later, they call me back, saying that they have not heard back from PB, and that they're going to look into it further. Still haven't heard back from them. Going to call in again today, but they keep giving me the run around like they usually do.

I notice that the charge is listed as a separate charge on my Paypal Account and my credit card statement. When I called paypal to open up a dispute about it, they said there's nothing they can do about it since the seller apparently shipped it through the GSP, which is a complete lie. 

So, I'm at a loss at this point. Do I try to file a chargeback on my Credit Card? Or is there some way I can dispute this another way?

Message 1392 of 3,104
latest reply

Call PayPal again.  Obviously the person you talked to did not understand the problem.  Ask to speak to a supervisor.

Failing that, go to your PayPal account, click on "details" link for the transaction.  Near the bottom of the page, you will find: "You can still report the problem in the Resolution Centre within 45 days."

Proceed with filing a report for goods not received for that payment (import charges).

Message 1393 of 3,104
latest reply

I purchased an item, which used ebays option for shipping internationally. So in Paypal, there is two payments, one for the item, second paid to Ebay for shipping.

The seller and I mutually agreed to cancel the sale, and he refunded the money, however he was unable to credit the shipping charges because they were Ebay.

If you try to open a dispute, it joins the two transactions together also you also have to dispute to the seller as well, there is no way to separate ebays portion to dispute.

Paypal says there is nothing they can do about it, have to go through Ebay, which is like pulling teeth. Have to sit on the phone which is a pain. Wishing I would have used a credit card, then at least I could have charged back the charges.

Anyone else ever run into this, and successfully get their refund for the shipping?

Message 1394 of 3,104
latest reply

If the sale was cancelled you should receive all of your money back. Paypal can't refund you unless a claim has been filed so I guess as they said..you'll have to phone ebay.  I'm not sure why you cancelled after you made the purchase but it can definitely be a pain for both seller and buyer when that happens.

If this is for the 2x HDMI USB, did the seller refund you $59 + $12.35 U.S.?

Message 1395 of 3,104
latest reply

Can I stop global shipping?
Message 1396 of 3,104
latest reply

"Can I stop global shipping?"

You can as far as it affects you by not buying from American sellers requesting it.

Message 1397 of 3,104
latest reply

I've been told that Ebay's international shipping program won't allow a seller to combine shipping for multiple items.  Sounds specious but I suppose it's possible.  Am I being scammed?

Message 1398 of 3,104
latest reply

It's true. The seller can't even send an invoice for GSP sales.

If you buy identical/similar items from the same listing, combined shipping may be possible. Also, if the seller enabled the shopping cart, some buyers have said combined shipping is possible.

From the GSP Help Page:

• Items contained in a single order should be shipped in a single package.

• Multiple orders (either belonging to the same buyer or different buyers) can't be combined, and need to be packaged in separate boxes.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

Message 1399 of 3,104
latest reply

Are you being scammed?

No. The seller really can't do this. Another badly thought through policy of the Global Shipping Program.

However, you can ask the seller to send you a Paypal invoice for all the items with the agreed discounted and combined shipping. You pay it. He ships USPS/Canada Post, using the First Class International service. When you tell him about this, do mention that the service now includes Delivery Confirmation and carries up to four pounds of product.

You may have to pay duty and sales tax as well as a $10 Canada Post service charge on delivery. Or not. It's always a gamble.

The duty and tax will be about the same amount as the GSP import charge.

The seller then manually marks the items paid and shipped and pays his fees on that basis.

Message 1400 of 3,104
latest reply