Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Are other members finding Global Shipping is simply adding a considerable extra cost to buying?

Global Shipping Program is ridiculous. Avoid at all cost.

I was charged $26 for an item that was $16.

They don't offer combined shipping and prices are just ridiculous.

The claimed that the package was delivered domestically and than internationally.

We are paying double shipping now? Great.

I called and eBay didn't even call me back within their promised 24-72 hours.

Great ethics such a big company is following.
This is a joke and all the reps can do is tell us we got a deal on the item but don't care how much we paid for shipping. 

Negative feedback will for the buyer that might be the only cause to have sellers not ship using these thiefs.

Message 1541 of 3,104
latest reply

Are other members finding Global Shipping is simply adding a considerable extra cost to buying?

@afantiques wrote:

Sorry, I have never looked into this -- the GSP isn't even available for CDN sellers, is it? I accepted a BO of $75 from a customer in California for an item with a listed value of $125. Our practice (as stated clearly in the auction) is anything valued at $75 or over must be shipped with tracking and insurance, and we charge $18US for this in most instances.

The customer has now come back and said this:

"I just found out that if you use the ebay global shipping, it would only cost you $8.88 to ship from canada to US, I can pay you $10 for the shipping, I just don't think it's necessary for me to pay you $15 to ship one card, thanks!"

I can't find anywhere where we can sign up (not that I would want to) -- is this guy just wrong?

Thanks in advance!

The customer is wrong but it seems insane to charge that much to ship one card that could go as letter post.

Only US based sellers can use the GSP.

If the services of Shipsurance.com or the ebay insurance app are available to Canadians, you could insure your card for $1, far cheaper than paying Canada Post for an expensive service that in all probability won't do you much good.

If independent transit insurance is not available, self insurance is better for you and vastly cheaper for the buyer.

eBay.com apps are not available to eBay sellers registered in Canada.

Shipsurance rates for Canada Post services are $1.25 US per $100 for domestic shipping, $1.50 US for International shipping. Lettermail and Letterpost services are not covered, only parcel services.

Rates page from shipsurance

http://shipsurance.com/online_shipping_insurance_rates.asp

Message 1542 of 3,104
latest reply

Shipsurance rates for Canada Post services are $1.25 US per $100 for domestic shipping, $1.50 US for International shipping. Lettermail and Letterpost services are not covered, only parcel services.

Thanks for the information, pc.

Not such a good deal as that available for US based sellers but still not very dear.

Message 1543 of 3,104
latest reply

As a Canadian I find this Global Shipping Program a complete rip off. I just now tried to order a $20 item with a 14.00 shipping charge (item weight was under 1/8th of a pound from Colorado to Ontario) and a GSP of $6.85. If an item is shipped USPS/CP anything under $200 there are no other fees... Lots of times even over $200 there are no fees. I refuse to deal with any seller that uses this system.....
Message 1544 of 3,104
latest reply

My first experience with Pitney Bowes and it wasn't a positive experience.  The seller only received $18 of the $33 I paid. So she wouldn't ship it and I wouldn't pay more. I don't think she knew anything about how it works, 

Perhaps more complete instructions could have helped this situation. 

I'm leary about ordering now, I've wasted a lot of time on this and I still don't have my item or any answers

Please help me understand!?!

Message 1545 of 3,104
latest reply

hi there

i have a problem and I need somebody from ebay

my Item is at Pitney Bowes your international shipping package company . what should I do now to get my item from them?

Message 1546 of 3,104
latest reply

Nothing.

Pitney Bowes will use the money you sent to pay the duty and sales taxes applicable, and will put it on a truck for Canada. Once across the border, it will be given to another shipper, probably Canada Post, but possibly CanPar, who will deliver it to your doorstep.

The whole process, from your payment to delivery will take less than 20 days, more likely about ten.

Message 1547 of 3,104
latest reply

The seller probably doesn't realize that they only have to ship the item to Kentucky and PB would ship from there. The seller was paid the shipping amount that they charge U.S. buyers and for the item and PB was paid for the international shipping portion and for any import fees. When the seller goes to go to print a shipping label they should see that the address is in Kentucky.

There are instructions for sellers on how to use the global shipping program but the problem is some don't realize they are registered in it.

If the seller won't send the item, you can file an item not received claim to get all of your money back. But I realize that doesn't make the bad experience any better.

Message 1548 of 3,104
latest reply

@2012vancosta777 wrote:

hi there

i have a problem and I need somebody from ebay

my Item is at Pitney Bowes your international shipping package company . what should I do now to get my item from them?

Are they telling you that they won't ship the item to you from there? There are certain items that they won't ship. If that's the case, all you can do it file an item not received claim.

Message 1549 of 3,104
latest reply

The shipping to Canada Calculator from the US hasn't worked in over a month and that's a simple USPS calculation....do you really think EBay can get a calculation on Taxes, Duties and Brokerage Fees right???

Message 1550 of 3,104
latest reply

@billybob222519 wrote:
As a Canadian I find this Global Shipping Program a complete rip off. I just now tried to order a $20 item with a 14.00 shipping charge (item weight was under 1/8th of a pound from Colorado to Ontario) and a GSP of $6.85. If an item is shipped USPS/CP anything under $200 there are no other fees... Lots of times even over $200 there are no fees. I refuse to deal with any seller that uses this system.....

What I have done in response to this issue is two part. Firstly I have made it clear on my profile page that I do not deal with Sellers that use the GSP. And secondly I have started a Collection called "The Dreaded GSP" and as I'm browsing my Feed if I find something that has the GSP I add it to the Collection with a comment.

I don't know if Sellers can see if their items have been added to a Collection or if ebay sees it, but Buyers sure do and will possibly create awareness,

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 1551 of 3,104
latest reply

I bought item and don't want to use  global shipping. how do I pay buyer, get around global shipping?

Message 1552 of 3,104
latest reply

First off, Canadians DISLIKE GSP. I learned a lesson myself by paying for it myself. You can't get around it as you say but you can always try contacting the seller and see if they can ship it without using GSP. 

For future reference, I suggest staying away from any US seller who uses GSP because us Canadians pay for it in the end.

Message 1553 of 3,104
latest reply

I am finding Global Shipping is adding considerable cost for the international buyer,  I am now paying for services to receive items in Canada which were provided free by Canada Post.  I believe the seller is also incurring addition shipping costs shipping to the clearing centers.  I will now avoid items using Global Shipping, shipping costs are just becoming to expensive.

Cheers

Message 1554 of 3,104
latest reply

Yes it. Is a cash grab plain and simple.
Message 1555 of 3,104
latest reply

Yes, this has been a hot topic for well over a year, just check out the two pinned threads concerning this program at the top of the board.

Unfortunately, things are changing fast for international buyers, and the old eBay is going to be a distant  memory in a few years.

Just recently major changes have been introduced regarding who gets to pay for shipping on returns of items that are "not as described", and  sellers will pay for return shipping.

This is almost certainly going to ensure that fewer US sellers will be inclined to "risk" shipping  internationally on their own. Unfortunately their market is big enough that they don't really need international buyers, and many sellers might decide to limit their risk exposure by only shipping to US addresses.

Unfortunately, the GSP is part of the new eBay, and is likely here to stay, it has now been extended to the UK as well, and a new version of the GSP is going to be opting in many more US sellers. 

I avoid listings under the GSP, don't even look at them. The added costs are often quite ridiculous for the "service" provided.

Unfortunately,  the number of GSP  listings is bound to increase,  this program is heavily promoted by eBay and it seems they have a vested interest in making sellers opt into it, for some reason.

Message 1556 of 3,104
latest reply

rdinc87
Community Member

Hello,

I live in Quebec and would like to buy this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131163814963?item=131163814963&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&v...

It is located in Miami. The seller told me that he uses GSP to ship the item to Canada. The total cost should be $27.31 USD. I asked him if he could confirm that it would be the total amount that I would have to pay at check out. He said he can't and that I just need to pay the shipping fees (in other words, he's clueless).

I've been screwed by UPS before and had to pay an outrageous amount of money at delivery. And I absolutely refuse to be screwed AGAIN! These hidden extra fees make me soooooooo angry. How dare they add extra fees when initially I never agreed to them? How is this allowed?

Sorry for the rant. Back to my question. Can someone please tell me if the total amount is indeed $27.31 USD or will I have to pay extra fees? I know that there is no duty or whatever fees for items under $20, but I need to make sure because this whole BS gets complicated!

Thanks!

Message 1557 of 3,104
latest reply

Such listings (under US$50) should not be offered through Global Shipping.

However, that is what the seller did and, from his reply to you, that is the only option you have to buy that item from him.

The selling price is US$ 13.99

And the shipping charge (payable to Pitney Bowes - NOT to the seller) is US$ 13.32

There are no duty or tax payable.

The seller receives US$13.99, he ships to eBay Distribution Centre in Kentucky (he offers "free shipping" within the USA) and Pitney Bowes receives US$ 13.32 to cover the cost of shipping cross-border to Canada, delivery to you and whatever brokerage or handling fees are involved.

Message 1558 of 3,104
latest reply

@arlene_v wrote:

Yes, this has been a hot topic for well over a year, just check out the two pinned threads concerning this program at the top of the board.

Unfortunately, things are changing fast for international buyers, and the old eBay is going to be a distant  memory in a few years.

Just recently major changes have been introduced regarding who gets to pay for shipping on returns of items that are "not as described", and  sellers will pay for return shipping.

This is almost certainly going to ensure that fewer US sellers will be inclined to "risk" shipping  internationally on their own. Unfortunately their market is big enough that they don't really need international buyers, and many sellers might decide to limit their risk exposure by only shipping to US addresses.

Unfortunately, the GSP is part of the new eBay, and is likely here to stay, it has now been extended to the UK as well, and a new version of the GSP is going to be opting in many more US sellers. 

I avoid listings under the GSP, don't even look at them. The added costs are often quite ridiculous for the "service" provided.

Unfortunately,  the number of GSP  listings is bound to increase,  this program is heavily promoted by eBay and it seems they have a vested interest in making sellers opt into it, for some reason.

Obviously I don't have a crystal ball but thousands and thousands of posts have made it clear that Canadians, at least, hate the GSP, sometimes on a visceral level. So what I think could happen with the "new eBay" is that some, and maybe many, people will discover that there is a "life outside of eBay", so to speak. Are there people who come to eBay to buy stuff that they need? Maybe. But I have a feeling that most come here to buy stuff that they want. And if it becomes outrageously expensive, or if they have to drive an hour and back to pick it up, they may not "want" it so much anymore.

Then there are the bargain hunters. Well, we all know what the GSP does to "bargains". No need to expand on this.

It's still a mystery to me why eBay is trying so hard to strong-arm sellers into the GSP, to the point of resorting to tactics that are highly questionable ethically, and why it is so intent on forcing it on unwilling buyers.

Message 1559 of 3,104
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

It's still a mystery to me why eBay is trying so hard to strong-arm sellers into the GSP, to the point of resorting to tactics that are highly questionable ethically, and why it is so intent on forcing it on unwilling buyers.

Me too, I just don't "get it". Sellers who are opted in without their explicit consent would seem to me to be a recipe for disaster. Also, buyers  are faced with these charges that make little or no sense, especially only the occasional shopper, and of course get totally confused.

I've spent many hours reading up about this program and to this day can't figure out what would happen in the following  scenario:

A buyer purchases a 14k diamond ring from a seller using the GSP, and pays a considerable amount for the ring.  Add onto that tax, duty and overpriced shipping.

Ring arrives and buyer takes it to gemologist who indicates that the clarity and colour are not per item description. Buyer wishes to return ring because it is not as described, and naturally also expects to get a refund of the whopping tax and duty.

How does one do this under the GSP, when it is clearly stated under the T&C that returns are not supported under this program? Is the seller responsible? Is eBay going to cough up the amount? That no clear explanation is provided anywhere, at least not  that I can find, is  unacceptable  and inspires  no confidence whatsoever in this ill-conceived program.

Message 1560 of 3,104
latest reply