Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

All of your questions have been answered in earlier posts-- but since we are at over 5000 posts in these threads.

As a Canadian I would like to know how much duty Pitney Bowes/eBay submits to the Canadian government. I would not be surprised if it is zero and the funds taken as "duties" are never paid, but just become more profit.

Pitney Bowes is a large international company with strong ties to Canada Post and decades of experience in Canada. It would be very very stupid of them to risk  that by not remitting the collected Sales Taxes (most of the money is in tax not duty) and customs charges. They make their money on the ~$5 USD service charge on collecting the applicable fees.

BTW, did you know that Canadian retailers are paid by the provincial and federal governments for remitting sales taxes?

Items I purchase (vinyl records and music memorabilia) sent through USPS never have duty collected.

That's because CBSA have come to the sensible conclusion that it makes no sense to assess and charge duty and tax on items where the money collected would be less than the money spent collecting it.

Border officers earn around $30 an hour up.

When I see items I might want but are shipped through GSP I email the seller explaining that because of the GSP I am not buying or bidding on their items...

Good idea! It makes no sense to use the GSP on sales under $50 and probably on sales under $100.

Please note that it is the SELLER's responsibility  to opt in or out of the GSP. However, when the program was introduced, many sellers were default opted in. Especially new sellers, who are one group that should be avoiding international sales.   

ebay obviously makes additional profits from the GSP

The program was introduced to encourage US sellers to sell internationally, which they have historically been loathe to do. It offers US (and now UK) sellers protections against unwarranted disputes about foreign duties and taxes, slow delivery and non-delivery as well as some protection on damage in transit.

It is NOT in place for the benefit of the buyers.

Most of the additional profit would be on the increased sales made by those US sellers.

otherwise they could easily make it an option for the buyer to go with GSP or the regular postal system.

Can't comment on this because I am not a programmer.

If you are, perhaps there is a job opportunity with eBay or even a temp contract.

I have only purchased one item through the GSP. The shipping time is much longer than the regular USPS.

I allow 20 days for delivery from anywhere in the USA or Canada, no matter where I bought or whether the GSP was in play.

For comparison....Currently I have an open Dispute for non-delivery with AZ. I bought four items from four different buyers on Oct. 26. The first item arrived in two days, the third last week. The fourth item has been in transit for 30 days.

Message 2281 of 3,104
latest reply

how do i track my package once  gsp has sent it out of the US? I'm unable to use the tracking number on canada post, where canI find progress of my package in canada?

Message 2282 of 3,104
latest reply

As a Canadian I would like to know how much duty Pitney Bowes/eBay submits to the Canadian government. I would not be surprised if it is zero and the funds taken as "duties" are never paid, but just become more profit.

Any import cosumption taxes and duties assessed are paid to the Canadian government. PB do have a standing charge of about $5 for doing this.

Postal shipments under $100 usually escape taxes that are legally due (too expensive to collect) so comparing postal deliveries with GSP is not comparing like with like. GSP items enter as freight.

Message 2283 of 3,104
latest reply

I have 3 items going here and I have no idea where to get them in toronto?

Message 2284 of 3,104
latest reply

You ordered three items from a US* seller?

You paid for them and they will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program ?

Okay, don't panic.

The three items will be shipped separately, even if they all come from the same seller. Because that is one of the many dumb things about the GSP.

The seller(s) will send them to the GSP plant in Kentucky. And there the seller's responsibility ends**.

It's okay.

Now the GSP is responsible.

The purchases are loaded onto a truck and shipped to Canada with thousands of others.

Then they are handed over to Canada Post***.

Your usual postie will deliver the parcels to your door. If you are not home, she will leave a Notice telling you where and when you can pick up.

Usually this is the local Postal Outlet the next day.

Bring photo ID.

And you can have someone else pick up for you. He has to present acceptable ID and sign. So your purchases are safe.

Are your purchases late? Has it been more than 20 days from purchase?

Open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You will be told to contact the seller. This is only polite.

Say in the Dispute that the GSP was the shipper. This usually speeds things up.

If your item arrives after you get your refund, the GSP does not want it back.

*Or UK, but that's less usual.

** For shipping at any rate. Not As Described problems are another story.

*** Usually, but sometimes CanPar or FedEx. Not a problem.

Message 2285 of 3,104
latest reply

@westcoastmw wrote:

eBay submits nothing, it's all handled by Pitney Bowes.

And if you really think the taxes collected are not being paid to the government then complain to your freshly elected MP that Revenue Canada is falling down on the job of monitoring the companies that collect tax and duty on Canada's behalf.

More practically, ask your MP to have the basic import exemption raised from it's current $20 to something higher. The USA currently has $200 for their limit.

-.-

Message 2286 of 3,104
latest reply

The three items will be shipped separately, even if they all come from the same seller. Because that is one of the many dumb things about the GSP.

Not necessarily. If the 3 items were from the same seller and a cart was used, there will be a shipping discount and they will be shipped together just like any order.

Even if they were paid for separately and sent separately by the seller, I have heard of PB combining the items at their end although I don't know if that happens very often.

Message 2287 of 3,104
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

More practically, ask your MP to have the basic import exemption raised from it's current $20 to something higher. The USA currently has $200 for their limit.

The $200 limit applies just applies to duty.

Taxes on imports and items purchased from other states are handled by state governments.  I don't know of any that have a minimum tax-free threshold but I haven't investigated each of the 42 or so US states that levy use tax on items purchased from out of state.

Message 2288 of 3,104
latest reply

If the 3 items were from the same seller and a cart was used, there will be a shipping discount and they will be shipped together just like any order.

Until eBay comes up with some kind of pop-up that will say something like "Want to buy more from this seller? Put your items in a cart to save on shipping!" this cart thingy for combining GSP purchases will remain one of eBay's best-kept secrets. What's the point of having a "feature" if no one knows about it?

Even if they were paid for separately and sent separately by the seller, I have heard of PB combining the items at their end although I don't know if that happens very often.

Since overcharges are never refunded, that doesn't do the buyer a whole lot of good. Buyers don't want combined shipping so that they can receive only one package instead of two or three, they want it in order to save on shipping.

This can even backfire, because some buyers get angry when their items arrive in a single package after they have paid separate shipping charges.

Message 2289 of 3,104
latest reply

Why is the GSP fee charged on items that qualify as duty free (e.g., NAFTA)?

Message 2290 of 3,104
latest reply

@mookmeister wrote:

Why is the GSP fee charged on items that qualify as duty free (e.g., NAFTA)?

Those items are still subject to tax (HST/GST, PST, etc.).  Items sent by mail don't often get hit with a tax bill, but they can if their declared value exceeds C$20.

On the other hand, items sent through the GSP have to have taxes assessed on them by the carrier or its designate.  With a GSP item, you're getting PitneyBowes to act as importer on your behalf and pay those taxes, and you're paying PB back in the form of "import charges".

Message 2291 of 3,104
latest reply

I had purchased a pair of shoes......i moved and paid for a forwarding address....i found out they were shippd to my old address and were not pickedup so they were sent back o the shipper.  She says she never got thm back and that it probably went back to the global shipping address.  No one will resent the shoes or return my money.....i got ripped off big time!!!!!!

Message 2292 of 3,104
latest reply

"i got ripped off big time!!!!!!"

To be candid you should have them shipped to your new address or wait until you move to purchase them.

The forwarding service you purchase from Canada Post (appx $60 for four months) does NOT cover parcels.  It applies to lettermail/letterpost only.

Message 2293 of 3,104
latest reply

Is the GSP applied to all Cell phone sales from US -> Canada? I wanted to buy a used nexus phone on eBay from a US seller but it seems they all have the GSP applied, rendering ebay invalid for such purchases.

Message 2294 of 3,104
latest reply

@aethelworth wrote:

Is the GSP applied to all Cell phone sales from US -> Canada? I wanted to buy a used nexus phone on eBay from a US seller but it seems they all have the GSP applied, rendering ebay invalid for such purchases.

Not what you mean by the GSP "rendering eBay invalid".  Is it the shipping charges and import charges?

Compare this listing:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171860586178

to this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331706162248

Which listing's shipping option would you say is less "valid"?

I've purchased two phones on eBay where the GSP was used and I paid less than US$12 in shipping in both instances, and the import charges were pretty much the same as the taxes I'd pay I'd pay if I purchased the phones in Canada.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "invalid".

Message 2295 of 3,104
latest reply

jaso.quigl
Community Member

how do i contact gsp? - by phone?

theyve lost a package worth 400 usd and no one will claim responsibility

ebay or paypal or the seller

Message 2296 of 3,104
latest reply

Open an Item Not Received Dispute through eBay (Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page)

Say in the dispute that the Global Shipping Program was in charge of shipping.

If the deadline has passed, go to Paypal and open the Dispute in their Resolution Centre.

Do NOT bother talking to any human beings. The bots are your first step.

Generally if the GSP/ Pitney Bowes cannot prove the item delivered to your Paypal address, they will refund you in full and promptly.

Why are you being ignored?

If the seller can prove delivery to the GSP in Kentucky, she has no more responsibility. Keep her informed as a courtesy, but she has no fault in this.

When you talk to the various eBay, PP, and GSP clerks, they have nothing to do with Disputes and Claims. Not part of the job description.

So go to the automated system

Or, the deadlines have passed. But since you have 180 days (six months) to open a Dispute with Paypal this seems unlikely.

Or, the item shows Delivered by Canada Post (or another shipper used by GSP/PB).

If it is the last, that is where you have to make enquiries. Start with going to the Post OFFICE (not the postal outlet in the back of the drugstore) and talking to the Postmaster. You may be starting a postal insurance claim at that time.

It is also possible that the parcel was stolen from your box , in which case, you should be going to the local police station and opening a theft report. They can't do much at this point, but your insurance agent will need that when you report the theft and make a household insurance claim.

Message 2297 of 3,104
latest reply

marieschry
Community Member

When a pakage from China is ''leave the "Shenzhen" airlines '' does it mean it is leavin China on the way to its destination country?

Thank you

Message 2298 of 3,104
latest reply

@marieschry wrote:

When a pakage from China is ''leave the "Shenzhen" airlines '' does it mean it is leavin China on the way to its destination country?

Probably, but packages from China aren't forwarded and shipped through the Global Shipping Program.

Message 2299 of 3,104
latest reply

aleziss
Community Member

I've been trying to find the answer but this forum is soooo big, I have a difficult time finding the right answer...

I am going to simulate numbers because english is not my first spoken language so everyone understand my question...

I bought an item 100$ and global shipping program was 25$ (like 15$ shipping + 10$ custom fees). I paid with paypal.

Unfortunately, the item was defective when I received it. The seller refunded me 125$. I also did receive a message from ebay saying that the 125$ transaction was refunded to my paypal account.

Unfortunately, again, I only received 100$ back in my paypal account (the item value). I am missing the 25$ pitney bowes fees back in my account that ebay clearly said they HAVE refunded me.

I contacted ebay asking why I did not receive the missing 25$ and they tell me that they really refunded 125$. I also contacted the seller asking him how much did he refund me and he told me 125$. ebay tells me to contact paypal.

When I contacted paypal, asked them multiple time where is the missing 25$, they replied it was money conversion, that they did not need the paypal id transaction that ebay submitted (they NEVER let me give them that ID number so I could not verify nothing)

Finally, I spoke with another paypal representative that told me that I need to claim that 25$ to customs in Canada. What ? ebay tells me they refunded me, paypal never receive it and now they tell me to claim to customs (or pitney bowes??)... How can I prove all this to customs who absolutely have no clue about ebay and paypal and my story ?

How is this working when you get a refund ? ebay says it did refund the total amount including the item + shipping but I only receive the item part. So I am out 25$ now...

Worst, I did get a second item (125$ item w shipping and customs) that is also defective ! It cost me 45$ to return the item and now I might not get that pitney bowes part again (which this time is more like 38$).

Can someone explain me how to collect that missing part that ebay tells me reimburse me and that paypal say they never got and ask me to claim this to canadian customs ?

Thanks ! I really hope to get good news as this is the worst ebay experience I've got in many many years of operation on ebay... I lost well over 100$ for beying defective goods that were listed as "seems fine" or "good shape".

Thanks for your help again !

Message 2300 of 3,104
latest reply