Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

How big are three storage trunks? There are size limits on GSP items.

Have you started a not received claim through ebay. This is the way to go.

Message 201 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi,

thank you for your reply! I checked the dimensions and the weight and my packages do not exceed what is acceptable for GSP. I have begun a claim in the resolution center, but eBay tells me to "work it out" with the seller. The seller simply sends me my GSP tracking number and tells me he can't do anything about it!

I see that the seller has relisted the items that I bought.

Is it possible that that is why there is a problem with the shipping?

Thanks!

Message 202 of 3,104
latest reply

The seller simply sends me my GSP tracking number and tells me he can't do anything about it!

He can't.

Escalate the claim.

I see that the seller has relisted the items that I bought.

Could it be they have a warehouse full of them?

Is it possible that that is why there is a problem with the shipping?

I doubt it but who knows?

Message 203 of 3,104
latest reply

dn4kme
Community Member

What is this "Global Shipping" all about. I have purchased many,many items from the States over the years and have never been so over charged for the shipping as when this came in. The shipping is slower than by mail and tracking is not there. What did I pay for?

Message 204 of 3,104
latest reply

You paid for the peace of mind of your American seller.

The Program is handled by Pitney Bowes, a huge worldwide company specializing in trans-shipment.

Because PB is a commercial operation it MUST charge the applicable duty and taxes levied by Canada. Canada Post and CBSA often let lowvalue and small packages slide by without charging these fees.

Any import over $20 CDN should be levied duty and tax as applicable.

Items are dutiable on the basis of place of manufacture, NOT on place of purchase. (So NAFTA does not apply to your Chinese made iPad purchased from a US seller.)

The seller's advantages are:

Your purchase is Delivery Confirmed, formerly an expensive proposition ($20 or more for USPS service) for international destinations.

He does not have to bring your parcel to his post office, USPS will pick up parcels for domestic destinations. (He sends the parcel to Kentucky.)

He does not have to deal with complaints and negative feedback about foreign duty and sales taxes unexpected by the buyer, because these are paid before he ships.

When you Search for an item you can avoid those that will use GSP by looking for this subtitle:

Customs services and international tracking provided
These sellers are using GSP

Note however if your item is bulky or costs over $100, it may actually be cheaper to use GSP than to trust that duty and tax will not be charged at the border and on your doorstep.
Message 205 of 3,104
latest reply

This sounds like an employee of Ebay. I don't believe him either.
Message 206 of 3,104
latest reply

but eBay tells me to "work it out" with the seller.

That's boilerplate. Many buyers panic when an item is a little late and start with the Dispute, instead of talking to the seller.

However, you have tried to work it out and the seller is not helpful. Move to the Dispute.

BTW, the delivery dates are optimistic. I'm going to assume that you often ship to Greece, since this sounds like a Christmas present. Given the ongoing situation in Greek government and the Christmas rush of shipments, there may only be a normal annual delay.

I'd allow a full 40 days from purchase to elapse before filing, but mark that on your calendar and don't let it pass.

One minor blessing, if it is a present, Greece doesn't celebrate Christmas until January 6 (Little Christmas ) since they use the old calendar for religious events.

Message 207 of 3,104
latest reply

"I don't believe him either."

???

What do you mean?  Who exactly do you not believe? 

Message 208 of 3,104
latest reply

I needed to return an item to the seller as the item description didn't reflect the item I received.  The offer offered a refund for the item but told me that my original shipping fees would be refunded by eBay because it shipped using the Global Shipping Program. When and how does this process happen?

Message 209 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi dn4kme.

The info provided by reallynicestamps is dead-on. I don't really have anything to add, except maybe a couple links for more info on the program --

General program FAQs:  http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html

Buyer Terms & Conditions (outlining, among other things, the ways in which you are protected as a Buyer if an item is lost or damaged during international transit):  http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

As a side note eBay employees (like myself) are always identifiable by the "blue box" around their posts and comments. 

Hope this helps. 

---Ben

Message 210 of 3,104
latest reply

This is a very grey area, as no-one seems to know including ebay reps on this board.

It seems that if you return the item to the buyer under your own steam, direct by mail, and the buyer refunds all the money he got for the item, you will be out of pocket by the amount you paid for international shipping and import charges, as well as return postage.

If you report the item as damaged in the shipping process from Kentucky to you, it is probable that you will get all your payment back and not have to return the item.

This is a curious state of affairs and needs clarifying. Many would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Message 211 of 3,104
latest reply

No it doesn't. I have an item that states on the listing "international shipping and tracking". I can't find where it is and the seller can only find it has been sent to and delivered to Erlanger Kentucky. The amount they charged was for what?

Message 212 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi rentgoldenboy.

In addition to the great info provided by the Community, I wanted to add a couple things. 

First off, in cases where an item is lost or damaged, the GSP does offer protections for the Buyer. Regular Buyer Protections are in place. And if the loss or damage is in the international leg then it will likely be eBay / Pitney Bowes who provides the refund. 

That info an more can be found in the Buyer Terms & Conditions:  http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

You can also get general program info on the FAQ page: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html

Hope that helps. 

---Ben

Message 213 of 3,104
latest reply

Message 214 of 3,104
latest reply

Ben, since you are around today, please take a look at listing 251245118863 .

Locate yourself in Canada to see the "import charges"

Then do the same thing with all other listings by the same seller.

As you will quickly appreciate something is terribly wrong with the method of calculation for "import charges" (by the way US made maple syrup enters Canada duty free).

Where is the problem?

Is it created by the seller?

Is it created by Pitney-Bowes?

Or is it possible that somehow the calculations for "import charges" are not based on a buyer purchasing one item (quantity 1) but on the assumption a buyer would purchase ALL items available in the listing? That could explain the heavy "import charges" which do not make any sense.

Message 215 of 3,104
latest reply

In Britain I see import charges of just under $70 for this $20 item. (should be below import tax threshold anyway.)

Message 216 of 3,104
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

In Britain I see import charges of just under $70 for this $20 item. (should be below import tax threshold anyway.)

How odd.  I don't see import charges at all on eBay UK, although I wasn't logged in when I viewed the listing.

eBay UK.jpg

Message 217 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi kfc21859.

Technically speaking returns are not currently supported by the GSP. If a return is necessary it must be worked out between the buyer and seller, per the terms of the seller's return policy.

However in cases where the item is Not As Described, you should report it in the same was as you would with a non-GSP transaction. The rest should then happen automatically. 

Returning of the product is not a requirement for refund. Once the Not As Described case is reported the refund portion should begin automatically, with the shipping and import fees refunded by eBay / Pitney Bowes. 

You can read more on the Buyer Terms & Conditions page:  http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Hope this helps. 

---Ben

Message 218 of 3,104
latest reply

Same for me. 

On eBay.uk no import charges if I am not logged in; charges jump to $70 once I am signed in.

$70 cannot be correct for a $20 product.

Message 219 of 3,104
latest reply

Still no import charges to the UK when I sign into eBay UK, but $63+ in import charges show up when I specify shipping to British Columbia.

Message 220 of 3,104
latest reply