Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

I have ordered items with GSP and it's fine. The one time it was not fine PayPal refunded me the shipping charge...so what is the problem?

Message 1481 of 3,104
latest reply

How can a buyer opt out of global mail service. I am purchasing from someone on eBay and wants to combine shipping but is using global service . How can I cancel that or does the seller only have that option. I cant seem to find any information at my end.

Message 1482 of 3,104
latest reply

Only the seller can do it.

Message 1483 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello 'cherub',

If you wish to buy multiples from the same seller, you will need to tell the seller

in advance what you wish to buy.  She can then take those listings out of the GSP

for you and you can buy them and wait for her to send you a combined invoice.

Or she can create a 'combined' listing of the items you want with your user ID as

the title, and you simply click to buy and then pay for the lot.

Either way, sellers cannot offer 'combined' shipping in the GSP, -- yet another reason

so many Canadian buyers simply prefer to avoid the GSP like the pestilence it is. Smiley LOL

Message 1484 of 3,104
latest reply

silver-athletica
Community Member

Hi fellow ebayer's, I recently made a purchase from USA seller. He told me ebay controlled his shipping charges and he couldn't combine shipping. Import fees were also charged. In the end i got soaked with with the high shipping and import fees. WHATS UP WITH THIS ??   I get much lower shipping rates from Poland,and no import fees...Some one is making a lot of dough!!!!  I see some US sellers shipping fees are reasonable and no mention of import fees. Why is this??  Makes no sense to buy from the US with most sellers.

Message 1485 of 3,104
latest reply

better off to find a seller that dont have the gsp way less hassel,,some us sellers dont use gsp,making there item cheaper in the long run
Message 1486 of 3,104
latest reply

It is the Global Shipping  program. Look it up.

It is not compulsory but many sellers were tricked into it.

Many don't know squat about it.

Message 1487 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi I was just wondering why my item said it would arrive by july 31 to aug 09 now it says unknown?

First World Problems.

You posted on July 26. It is now July 28.

Your item is not supposed to arrive for another two to eleven days.

It may well take longer.

Chill.

If the item has not arrived TWENTY  days after purchase, start an Item Not Recieved dispute and get your item back. But it will probably arrive on Tuesday August 5th, after the Civic Holiday.

Message 1488 of 3,104
latest reply

When buying from a seller in the gsp, if you put the items in a cart first, the shipping will combine although the difference may not be as much as you would like. 

Message 1489 of 3,104
latest reply

@spendmoneyhere2014 wrote:

I have ordered items with GSP and it's fine. The one time it was not fine PayPal refunded me the shipping charge...so what is the problem?

Why not go back and read this and the other hundreds of complaints topic regarding the GSP!

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 1490 of 3,104
latest reply

I was thinking that any product made in North America should fall under NAFTA so there should be 0$ import charges no matter whats the value . Is my understanding of NAFTA wrong ?

You guys should have an email option in "contact us " section. It took me some time before I could find a place to ash this question.

Message 1491 of 3,104
latest reply

Is my understanding of NAFTA wrong ?

Yes, it relates to import 'duties' but not import sales tax, the equivalent of your provincial sales tax.

Message 1492 of 3,104
latest reply

"Is my understanding of NAFTA wrong ?"

You are not alone.  You will find many other posts on the subject.

NAFTA deals with tariff (duty) and quotas.  NAFTA does not deal with consumption taxes (GST, HST, PST).

When a Canadian buys from outside the country, there is a liability to pay consumption taxes (GST, HST, PST) at time of importation  unless the imported parcel is valued at less than $20 (a few exceptions apply).

For more information, please review: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 1493 of 3,104
latest reply

www198405
Community Member

hi 

can i ask how to contact  Global Shipping program? because devastation of a car model....

thanks

Message 1494 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello,

Please kindly refer me to where I can find information about a custom seizure of an item I bought on ebay.

I have bought some server power supplies from the United States which were sent to Canada.

The border customs agency has seized the item and I have no information yet on why this happened and which Customs law was infringed. Ebay proposes me to get a Paypal refund as I am entitled to, but I am within my rights to have access to the information about the seizure and to file a review.

How do I proceed?

Thank you.

Message 1495 of 3,104
latest reply

I agree with this comment.  I am purchasing USED items from ebay, so I should not have to pay duty or import taxes!!!  Often the shipping and import charges with Global Shipping doubles the price of the item.  Ebay is going to lose alot of Canadian customers purchasing in the US if this continues.

Message 1496 of 3,104
latest reply

" I am purchasing USED items from ebay, so I should not have to pay duty or import taxes!!"

You should talk to your member of parliament and ask that they change the laws of the land.

Used items carry the same tax rate as new items.  That is the law.

Go to your used car dealer : you will be charged tax (GST/HST/PST)

Go to Value Village for used clothing : you will be charged tax (GST/HST/PST)

It has nothing to do with eBay or Pitney Bowes: the laws of Canada are made in Ottawa. 

Used stuff is taxable in Canada.

Message 1497 of 3,104
latest reply

Have been following a package that is being shipped to me via the Global Shipping Program.  It arrived at Erlanger today, along with several others that I ordered at more or less the same time from various sellers.  However, this one, instead of the usual tracking messages that show it is working through the system, says "In Transit - Available For Pick Up".  Has anyone had this one before, or know what it means? 

Message 1498 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello,

I bought a cell phone, which was listed with GSP, for US$139.99 with shipping US$12.05 and import charges $11.59.

Do the import charges include all applicable taxes, such as GST, and duties so that I do not have to pay any taxes and duties at the time of delivery?

The question mark right next to import charges section indicates that this amount includes applicable customs, duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees, but Terms and Conditions 3.i. Exclusions notes that you alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties... (http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html#programfees).

The terms and conditions are really confused.

Section 3.b.ii of the terms and conditions reads “Import charges”: this Program Fee consists of charges associated with the customs service described above and is comprised of the following variable amounts: sales, goods and services, and value added taxes, duties, tariffs, excise taxes, and other amounts assessed or levied by any government authority in connection with the importation of goods into the applicable country of importation (but excluding income taxes) ("Commodity taxes"); third party brokerage fees (including advancement and disbursement charges and customs brokers handling and filing fees); penalties (but excluding any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to, or made available for pickup at, the delivery address that you specify); classification charges associated with the assignment of a Harmonized System ("HS") classification code; charges for export compliance screening and verification and the assignment of an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN); and operational expenses associated with short-term loss recovery and the management of variances between the quoted Import charges and actual costs. Note: at eBay's discretion, applicable classification and export compliance charges, third party brokerage fees, and operational expenses may instead be included within the Shipping amount that is quoted to you.

One part of the terms and conditions say the import charges include everything, such as taxes, duties and taxes, but the other part indicates buyer is responsible for taxes and duties.

If the import charges include everything but I have to pay for it, that's understandable, but my question is whether I have to expect more when the item is delivered.

Thanks.

Message 1499 of 3,104
latest reply

The border customs agency has seized the item and I have no information yet on why this happened and which Customs law was infringed. Ebay proposes me to get a Paypal refund as I am entitled to, but I am within my rights to have access to the information about the seizure and to file a review.

How do I proceed?

What is the exact wording of the notification you have had.

Items may be deemed unshippable at Erlanger where the customs documentation is prepared, it would be very unusual for Canadian customs to have any interest in an individual item on import as GSP items are imported in bulk.

Message 1500 of 3,104
latest reply