Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

ep4747
Community Member

This is the answer given to me buy a seller which I contacted .I asked if he cold do something on the shipping cost if I purchased (3)

items.

When someone buys that is out of the USA, Ebay has me ship to an international out going city, which I think is TN, which would cost about13.00 to ship to and then they control the rest of the cost, maybe you could call them and they could tell you the rest of the cost.

I would like to have this statement clarified.

Message 181 of 3,104
latest reply

My understanding is that GSP (Global Shipping) currently offered by eBay through Pitney-Bowes does not offer combined shipping.

If the seller is interested in your business, he should offer the three items without GSP or - better still - combined as one lot at a pre-agreed upon price.

Message 182 of 3,104
latest reply

I would like to have this statement clarified.

The seller has no more idea what they are doing or saying than you do.

Find a smarter seller.

Message 183 of 3,104
latest reply

What kind of scam is ebay running here?

First the new checkout is total nonsense, I clicked "Continue" and instead of being taken to a confirmation page it automatically charged my paypal without even asking for a paypal password!

But the kicker is that my order is a game code that is being delivered by email, I contacted the seller and they said there are no shipping charges but yet I was charged $17.89 by something called "Pitney Bowes" for "shipping and duties" for something that is neither being shipped nor imported!!

What is going on ebay? This is a complete scam!

Message 184 of 3,104
latest reply

Why can't I find a link any where on ebay to Global forwarding, and why can't we have tracking of our purchased items with this service?

Message 185 of 3,104
latest reply

The problem is that your seller listed the item as a "video game" rather than as a digital item.  As a result, the listing has shipping information attached to it that it shouldn't, even though it's "free" shipping for within the United States.

If the seller had listed the code properly, the Global Shipping Program wouldn't have kicked in for that listing.

Having said that, I see the shipping and import charges right on the listing page.  Why did you purchase the code if it had those charges attached to it?

Message 186 of 3,104
latest reply

Have you tried looking for the Global Shipping Program instead of Global Forwarding?

Message 187 of 3,104
latest reply

This is a program for US sellers, instituted by eBay (and run by PitneyBowes) to encourage US sellers to sell internationally, by giving them cheaper confirmation of delivery to foreign destinations like Canada.

As a buyer your involvement is that, IF your seller is using it, and it is NOT mandatory, you will be required to pay Canadian duty and sales taxes in addition to the cost for the seller to ship to PB in Kentucky. PB then adds a further charge (usually around $5) to re-ship and track the parcel. You pay all this in advance of your seller shipping.

While emotionally you may like the idea of tracking, if you get notice that the seller has sent the parcel to PB/Global Shipping Program, then it will get to you. Don't worry. It will take about 20 days maybe a little slower given the Christmas rush.

If you bought something in December for a Christmas present, have a Plan B, in other words.

Delivery Confirmation is NOT a benefit for the buyer. It allows a Seller to win a non-delivery claim by showing that the item was in fact delivered somewhere. As a seller myself, I'm all in favour of Delivery Confirmation.

If you are a Canadian seller, the GSP is not available, in part because Canadians are more relaxed about shipping to foreign countries, like the USA, dealing with customs labels, and realizing that there is more than one currency in the world.

Message 188 of 3,104
latest reply

Contact your seller.

Ask him to correct the listing and refund the part of the shipping charges that were paid to him.

Then contact Customer Support for advice on how to have Pitney Bowes refund their service fee,Canadian duty and Canadian sales taxes, since the seller did not actually ship through the Global Shipping Program.

Message 189 of 3,104
latest reply

I didn't actually mean to pay for it, I clicked continue thinking I would be taken to another page that lets me chose something but instead it just automatically charged my paypal without even asking.

Plus I contacted the seller before hand and they said there was no shipping charge so I thought the checkout was a mistake and that I could correct it on the checkout page.

This new checkout of theirs really needs to be re-thought out.

Message 190 of 3,104
latest reply

I think I'm just going to get the seller to cancel my order, hopefully that that will refund the shipping fee and if not then I will start a paypal dispute.

This is just total nonsense, they really need to test these systems before deploying them, I shouldn't have to go through this.

Message 191 of 3,104
latest reply

Digitally delivered goods are not eligible for buyer protection, in fact they should not even be listed. Throw in a seller who probably does not even know they are offering GSP into this mess and you have an omnishambles.

I can't think of any official way to unpick this one. Apart possibly from a mutual  cancellation request sent by the seller to you, with you agreeing to it.

If the seller looks at the item with the ship to location set to Canada they will see what you should have seen.

Both parties seem equally remiss here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151178604044

Message 192 of 3,104
latest reply

What's responsible here is ebays half baked checkout forcing global shipping onto someones listing and tricking you into paying for something with a "continue" button.

I've spoken to 2 sellers now that are experiencing the same issue, they both said they set their shipping as "free", so why is ebay forcing some global shipping nonsense on them?

This better not become the new ebay thing ether, I have no interest in paying duties up front as they almost never get charged, if this is how ebay is going to be from now on then I won't be shopping here anymore,

Message 193 of 3,104
latest reply

The seller is offering Free Shipping.

He will not get a penny of the other charges.

He ships domestically to the Pitney Bowes facility in Kentucky. That cost is included in the asking price of the item, which is what Free Shipping really means.

The fees you are paying are: Canadian duty/customs, Canadian sales taxes, and a service fee of around $5 for carraige to Canada from Kentucky and confirmation of delivery.

Without the Global Shipping Program, your seller could use either Global Priority Shipping, which costs at least $20 or First Class International with starts much lower. You can check the costs on these on the USPS site. I can't be bothered.

Both include Delivery Confirmation as does GSP. DC is not a benefit for the buyer, but for the seller.

The two USPS services may attract the duty and taxes which will be demanded on your doorstep or more likely require a visit to your local PO for pickup. Or not, it's a carpshoot.

Message 194 of 3,104
latest reply

I don't think you read my issue correctly, this is for a digital code, nothing is shipped, Pitney Bowes is basically taking the money for doing nothing.

I have now spoken to several sellers and they are all running into this issue, ebay is forcing this shipping on things that they have posted as "free shipping".

Message 195 of 3,104
latest reply

"ebay is forcing this shipping on things t"

Not quite.  Your seller selected to ship through Global Shipping program (GSP).  Your seller should know better.

Message 196 of 3,104
latest reply

Seller said they selected "Free Shipping".
Message 197 of 3,104
latest reply

Seller is NOT giving you the whole story.  GSP is opted in by the seller, nobody else.  Possibly he is not aware of it or does not remember.

Tell your seller to check his preferences.  He may find that GSP is the selected method of shipping.

Message 198 of 3,104
latest reply

Choice of shipping is the least of the seller's faults.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/downloadable.html

Message 199 of 3,104
latest reply

fdia9769
Community Member

Hi,

I bought three items (storage trunks) on November 11, 2013. The estimated delivery period was between Nov. 19 and Nov. 29. I wanted the items delivered to Greece and so I paid all the shipping fees, etc. and I was told that they were going to be sent through the Global Shipping Program.

It is now December 3 and the items still have not arrived! I opened a case and contacted the seller, but all he tells me is: "As the seller, you are only responsible for ensuring delivery to the US shipping center. The global technology and shipping provider is responsible for processing the package for international shipment." He tells me he sent the items to Erlanger, KY and that I should deal with eBay.

I have no idea what to do since eBay tells me to go to the Resolution Center and "work it out" with the seller!

This is becoming exasperating and I'm starting to fear that I will never receive the items or my money back.

Is there any way you can help me with what action I have to take? How can I verify what is actually going to happen with the package?

HELP!!!

Message 200 of 3,104
latest reply