Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Just purchesed a item for $50 and its charging me $12.30 in import charges. Thats almost %25 ontop of the item. And i may have to pay more import fees on delivery. How come its %25 on $50. And ontop of that it didnt say have that fee added on until after. How can it be %25 and a hidden fee that i didnt agree to.
Message 2121 of 3,104
latest reply

"And i may have to pay more import fees on delivery"

No.

The program prepays the taxes (and duty if applicable) so that the final delivery to you is "domestic".

The "import charges" include a service charge of $4/$5 and GST/HST (rate varies based on your province)

Message 2122 of 3,104
latest reply

I tried to purchase an item that is using the GSP (ATI FireMV 2250 256MB PCIe x1 DMS-59 S-Video ATI-102-B152 Low Profile Video Card #111536928597), however, it says when I get to checkout to either change my ship to address (?!) or request an exception from the seller as there is no shipping information in the listing.

It's using GSP, shouldn't it give me shipping to my location (in Canada)? Shipping isn't there as the seller is using GSP, and they should be determining shipping charges to my location, and update it during checkout - at least, that's how I thought it worked.

/sigh

Message 2123 of 3,104
latest reply

That listing does NOT use GSP.

The seller simply did not enter the correct shipping method or shipping charge for shipping to Canada.

Contact the seller

Message 2124 of 3,104
latest reply

That seller does use gsp but it isn't set up on that particular listing and they probably don't realize that. Perhaps they would be willing to ship it to you using first class international package delcon. Tell them that if they purchase the postage online, they will have delivery confirmation to Canada and the cost would be around $7.   Otherwise, the seller will have to cancel the sale, refund you, add gsp to the listing and then ask you to purchase it again. Shipping would probably be around $12.

Message 2125 of 3,104
latest reply

what am i suppose to do with this shipping tracking status :

undeliverable,item restricted at the global shipping center, Erlanger.

i called e-bay, answer : i schould consider it as lost. 

??????

Message 2126 of 3,104
latest reply

@wilhelmine274 wrote:

what am i suppose to do with this shipping tracking status :

undeliverable,item restricted at the global shipping center, Erlanger.

i called e-bay, answer : i schould consider it as lost. 

??????

"Undeliverable" means just that.  There are some items that--for whatever reason--the Global Shipping Center won't touch.  You should be making claims for your non-delivered item and for the import charges to ensure you get your money back.

Message 2127 of 3,104
latest reply

thanks for this fast answer.

they schould upgrate the process and , or either let us know we will never receive anything or,

send back the item to the seller

it has been scanned so its hard to beleive they losted it. 

i am doubtfull 😕

Message 2128 of 3,104
latest reply

@wilhelmine274 wrote:

thanks for this fast answer.

they schould upgrate the process and , or either let us know we will never receive anything or,

send back the item to the seller

it has been scanned so its hard to beleive they losted it. 

i am doubtfull 😕

Your item wasn't lost by the Global Shipping Center.  Somebody at the Global Shipping Center has determined that--for whatever reason--the item cannot be shipped to Canada as freight or else a carrier cannot ship it from the landing hub in Canada to your door.  It may be too large or there may be safety or liability issues involved, who knows?  These situations are sometimes the result of sellers not providing accurate or sufficient information in the "item specifics" section of a listing.

I do agree that there needs to be better communication between eBay and the Global Shipping Center and that items deemed undeliverable by the GSC should trigger an automatic refund to the buyer instead of the buyer having to request one.  I get the impression that PitneyBowes' computer systems do not "play ball" with eBay's computer systems.

Message 2129 of 3,104
latest reply

troy_dyla
Community Member
You gouge the rates to canada and hold up the process. I buy based on how badly I am getting ripped off on shipping vs how much the item costs. Plus the tracking numbers are useless. Scam supreme.
Message 2130 of 3,104
latest reply

@troy_dyla wrote:

You gouge the rates to canada and hold up the process. I buy based on how badly I am getting ripped off on shipping vs how much the item costs. 

The GSP can be expensive, but on the other hand the shipping cost can be almost as much or even more than the price of the item for items sent by mail as well.  Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm//141611969235

Message 2131 of 3,104
latest reply

well,

last question : its undeliverable , fine, but what after?. Shipping back to the seller????

@marnotom! wrote:

@troy_dyla wrote:

You gouge the rates to canada and hold up the process. I buy based on how badly I am getting ripped off on shipping vs how much the item costs. 

The GSP can be expensive, but on the other hand the shipping cost can be almost as much or even more than the price of the item for items sent by mail as well.  Here's an example:

@marnotom! wrote:

@troy_dyla wrote:

Message 2132 of 3,104
latest reply

Sometimes they ship it back to the seller, sometimes they keep it and a third party sells it. Either way, you need to get a full refund by filing an item not received claim through ebay. 

If the seller receives the item back and is willing to send it to you directly then you can pay again but in order to get your import fees back you have to file a claim first.

Message 2133 of 3,104
latest reply

izwan123
Community Member

Hi,

I bough an item from a seller in US and I am in Malaysia. (purchased on 31st May 2015)

Estimated delivery time was between 9th June - 20th June 2015.

This is through GSP.

It is the 19th of June now and the last update on the tracking tool was:

17th June ( it is still at GSP sorting centre since the 4th of June 2015)

Whats with the delay? 

regardless of the outcome, i have informed the seller that i will be filing for a refund since it will not arrive within the estimated timeframe.

This issue will spread like a virus if nothing is taken into consideration.

I hope you can advice the lack of efficiency. I shall be careful with my next purchase on not buying from sellers using the GSP.

thank you

Message 2134 of 3,104
latest reply

@izwan123 wrote:

I bough an item from a seller in US and I am in Malaysia. (purchased on 31st May 2015)

Estimated delivery time was between 9th June - 20th June 2015.

This is through GSP.

It is the 19th of June now and the last update on the tracking tool was:

17th June ( it is still at GSP sorting centre since the 4th of June 2015)

Whats with the delay? 

If I'm understanding you correctly, there has been no updated tracking information since the item's last scan at the Global Shipping Center on 4 June.

This does not mean that the item is still at the Global Shipping Center, only that that is the location of the item's last scan.  The item  has likely been transferred to a freight carrier and the tracking information from that carrier has not been transmitted to eBay.

@izwan123 wrote:

regardless of the outcome, i have informed the seller that i will be filing for a refund since it will not arrive within the estimated timeframe.

Keep in mind that because the seller used the GSP for this sale, any refund will be coming from the administrators of the program.  Your money will not be returned by the seller.  This sort of "protection" is one reason why some US sellers opt to use the GSP rather than ship directly to non-US buyers.

You also won't be able to leave neutral or negative feedback about this problem.

I have a feeling your item will arrive around the middle of next week.

Message 2135 of 3,104
latest reply

I have a few question that need clear answers.  Please bear in mind shipping is to Canada and it appears the item has reached Kentucky this Friday (I seriously envy the trip it made from Connecticut to Cincinnati and then to Kentucky)

1- What is the treatment expensive items (not that expensive, but $550 USD) get when shipped using GSP?  

2- My item comes in its own aluminum case 1.5ft by 1.5ft by 8 inches, am I to expect that this is going to be opened?

3- When should I expect this in Toronto?

4- Which carrier do they most use for the Toronto area?

Thanks all, 

Vin

Message 2136 of 3,104
latest reply

edit, sorry pjcdn2005 Didn't meant to ask exclusively you the questions. 

@vinandjess wrote:

I have a few question that need clear answers.  Please bear in mind shipping is to Canada and it appears the item has reached Kentucky this Friday (I seriously envy the trip it made from Connecticut to Cincinnati and then to Kentucky)

1- What is the treatment expensive items (not that expensive, but $550 USD) get when shipped using GSP?  

2- My item comes in its own aluminum case 1.5ft by 1.5ft by 8 inches, am I to expect that this is going to be opened?

Thanks all, 

Vin

Message 2137 of 3,104
latest reply

@vinandjess wrote:

Keep in mind that the movement of the item to Kentucky is not the GSP's responsibility.  That's the work of the carrier that the seller chose to ship the item within the United States.

You probably knew that, but I'm posting that for others following this thread.  Smiley Happy

@vinandjess wrote:

It's the nature of the item that's going to dictate its treatment more than its value.  Your item will likely end up on a shipping pallet with several other items that may or may not be of similar size or value, but will likely have similar final destinations as they'll all be going to the same receiving and sorting hub once they get to Canada.

My understanding is that the Global Shipping Center opens items to inspect them for country of origin and other details that may affect whether duty is applied to the item and how much.  If the seller has provided these details in the "item specifics" portion of the listing, the item's much less likely to be subject to inspection.

@vinandjess wrote:

Don't want to sound glib, but as with any item, no matter how it's shipped, it takes as long as it takes.  Someone in the GTA may be able to give you a range in delivery times, but I don't think anyone can tell you anything more specific than that.  Did the listing give anything like that?

The carrier will also likely vary depending on the contractor used to handle the item.  Canpar comes up pretty frequently on this discussion board, but Canada Post often gets contracted by logistics firms for smallish items.  (Your item may be a bit too big to be considered "smallish," however.)

Message 2138 of 3,104
latest reply

I really appreciate your answers on this marnotom.   The item is a German made RC Radio Transmitter known as the Graupner MC-20 (http://www.graupner.de/en/products/1736df13-32af-4183-aa8e-80f31a7f03cb/33020/product.aspx) Not sure if this gives it any form of adoration or not.  Ebay had the date mentioned as "Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015" and I just found out the exact size of the outside case, it's 18" x 13" x 6" I think this might still exceed "smallish"

Ah Canpar, they have a horrible reputation here in Toronto hence it looks like we'll have to arrange to drive to their depot in Etobicoke, Ontario from the east side of Toronto, because they don't know how to do deliveries, I have only once seen them actually delivering to my building, fun.  Overall, I can say that this eBay GSP shipping is quite questionable, my seller does regret the fact that he used GSP and will be discontinuing using it.  The really fun part is that he had read the Terms and Conditions on eBay, nothing mentions opening of the item.  I will make a separate post on the "Comments about the GSP" thread about our findings on that. 

About delivery, please don't worry about sounding glib, I totally understand what you mean, it seems more often than not certain carriers and services are switching to this wunderbar "oh let's take the time to get this done, especially when there's a weekend in between" attitude.

Message 2139 of 3,104
latest reply

@vinandjess wrote:

Ah Canpar, they have a horrible reputation here in Toronto hence it looks like we'll have to arrange to drive to their depot in Etobicoke, Ontario from the east side of Toronto, because they don't know how to do deliveries, I have only once seen them actually delivering to my building, fun.  Overall, I can say that this eBay GSP shipping is quite questionable, my seller does regret the fact that he used GSP and will be discontinuing using it.  The really fun part is that he had read the Terms and Conditions on eBay, nothing mentions opening of the item.  I will make a separate post on the "Comments about the GSP" thread about our findings on that. 

I guess PitneyBowes or its lawyers figured that since the item is no longer the seller's responsibility once the Global Shipping Center takes possession of it, the possibility of the package being inspected need not be mentioned in the seller terms and conditions document.  It is mentioned in the buyer terms and conditions, of course.

Oh, and don't get too worried about delivery attempts to your door at this point.  Wait until you come to that bridge before you cross it.  For all I know, a different carrier may be used for deliveries made within the GTA than, say, rural Saskatchewan.

Message 2140 of 3,104
latest reply