Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

And remember that duty still applies to items purchased in the USA but manufactured in a non-NAFTA country, like China.

Used goods, a big part of eBay transactions, are not dutiable but are taxable.

Message 2241 of 3,104
latest reply

I have received two packages, both were open and resealed by pitney bowes (I presume for border process). One package was cut thru so bad wich damaged  the mini speaker plastic bag  cut exactly were the speaker membrane was located. careless practice. 

Daniel

Message 2242 of 3,104
latest reply

File an Item Not As Described dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page. Say in the Dispute that this was a GSP transaction.

Usually you will get a full refund without a requirement that you return the item (with expensive tracking). There is nowhere to return it, since the seller is not directly at fault.

Once you have the refund, contact the seller and explain that the problem arose because she did not make it clear where the speakers were manufactured.

There is no duty on NAFTA made goods, but there is on items made elsewhere and sold from the USA.

You are not requiring the seller to do anything for you on this, your purpose is to make her better at her job of shipping securely.

Message 2243 of 3,104
latest reply

Does gsp deliver in Canada on Saturday? I have a delivery date for today, so I'm waiting and waiting but have other things to do.
Message 2244 of 3,104
latest reply

Saturday delivery
Message 2245 of 3,104
latest reply

They usually use Canada Post or Can Par. I would be surprised if either of them have weekend delivery.

Message 2246 of 3,104
latest reply

@ab.bahram2015 wrote:

Oh man this gsp sucks. I ordered an S6 edge plus. The seller ships it to global shipping center apparently some place called Erlanger nd it is there for 3days now. When does it leave? How long before I get it here in Canada?

Tracking is not real-time, especially with the GSP.  Just because your item may not show any further tracking information doesn't mean that it's not on the move.

You either have your item or your don't.  All the tracking in the world won't change that state of affairs.

Message 2247 of 3,104
latest reply

@lorraine_carol wrote:

This very well may be true, I've no reason to doubt this. My point is, In all the items I have purchased over the years since Canada has eliminated the duty, I have yet to pay duty or tax on anything I have purchased from the USA. Nothing shady or deceptive, if my purchases are not pulled for inspection. So, having said that to say this, why purchase from sellers who utilize the GSP and know without doubt buyer will pay much more than what is most likely necessary. Best, Lorraine

My wife and I have been buying (and to a lesser degree selling) on eBay since the late 1990s and at the beginning, I'd say that half of our purchases that qualified for taxation were assessed and charged taxes by as well as a handling fee (originally five bucks, now almost twice that).  We even had a modestly priced media item (I can't remember if it was a book or CD) from the UK hit with duty.

The frequency of this happening to us decreased through the 00s and I don't think we've seen any sort of charges levied by Canada Border Services for our postal imports since 2010 if not sooner.  First we thought this was a function of us living in a remote location, but apparently not.

I do think you're giving US sellers who use the GSP too much credit.  Many of them are unaware that it's been applied to their listings, and some of those who are aware haven't done their homework to find out how much it adds to the cost of their item.

Message 2248 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi there,

I am not certain what is meant by "I do think you're giving US sellers who use the GSP too much credit."

Anyhow, I do agree with you in that it is possible US sellers aren't aware the GSP has been automatically applied to their listings. However the several times I have made a request for a seller to remove the GSP with a brief explanation (along with a copy & paste of the ebay info) that it is not mandatory and can be removed upon request, the response has always been the same 'no, ebay will not allow it'. I do not fault US sellers directly but fault ebay.com for not educating their sellers on the subject.

I will not ever purchase from a US seller that utilizes the GSP.

Best,

Lorraine

Message 2249 of 3,104
latest reply

I have made a request for a seller to remove the GSP with a brief explanation (along with a copy & paste of the ebay info) that it is not mandatory and can be removed upon request, the response has always been the same 'no, ebay will not allow it'. I do not fault US sellers directly but fault ebay.com for not educating their sellers on the subject.

I guess I expect more than you do. I don't agree with ebay automatically opting sellers into the gsp program but once they know they are in, it's not that difficult to find info on how it works and if they can opt out on particular listings.  I'm sure that some of them know how to opt out but don't want to and just say they can't do it so that the customer doesn't get mad at them.

With that being said....many sellers don't seem to be that inclined about doing any research on how the program works.

I was in the U.S. recently and happened to meet an ebay seller there who uses the gsp. I asked him if he had thought about using first class international for the countries that had delivery confirmation with that service. He said that he would like to do that but that ebay would only allow him to use the gsp if he used it for all the gsp countries. I tried to explain to him that I knew sellers who use the gsp for just some countries but he insisted that it couldn't be done so I dropped the subject.

The seller was also under the impression that when he used the gsp he could not get a not as described claim because the gsp center

"confirmed that the item sent was exactly the same as what was described in the listing". I didn't bother to contradict that.

Message 2250 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I guess I expect more than you do. I don't agree with ebay automatically opting sellers into the gsp but once they know they are in, it's not that difficult to find info on how it works and if they can opt out on particular listings.

I may be a bit out of the loop as I absented myself from the GSP threads for a bit, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence of eBay "automatically" opting sellers into the GSP.

My impression is that some sellers are inadvertently or accidentally opting themselves into the program through a misunderstanding of a click-through or check-box confirmation.

Message 2251 of 3,104
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I may be a bit out of the loop as I absented myself from the GSP threads for a bit, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence of eBay "automatically" opting sellers into the GSP.

My impression is that some sellers are inadvertently or accidentally opting themselves into the program through a misunderstanding of a click-through or check-box confirmation.

Several sellers have reported on the US boards that they were opted back in after opting out. Sometimes more than once. Call me cynical if you wish, but this being the GSP, somehow I don't think it's a glitch.

Message 2252 of 3,104
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Several sellers have reported on the US boards that they were opted back in after opting out. Sometimes more than once. Call me cynical if you wish, but this being the GSP, somehow I don't think it's a glitch.

I've only your report to go on, but when I hung out on the US boards more regularly, the impression I got from the posts I read is that a lot of sellers who thought they were opting out of the GSP were actually just removing it from their listings.  Maybe things have changed since then.

Message 2253 of 3,104
latest reply

They changed the ground rules while you were not posting.

Opt ins now occour to any seller who does not have international shipping costs listed  and has not set specific blocks on international shipping.

In general these will be sellers who are not aware of all the complicated blocks and preferences, so newer sellers, dumber sellers, or both.

Message 2254 of 3,104
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Opt ins now occour to any seller who does not have international shipping costs listed  and has not set specific blocks on international shipping.

In general these will be sellers who are not aware of all the complicated blocks and preferences, so newer sellers, dumber sellers, or both.

Thanks for that info, AF.  So could one conclude that these sellers getting opted back into the program are likely those who haven't made any further changes to their listing practices?

Message 2255 of 3,104
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Yes to that, but I've also seen at least one regular poster who was opted in repeatedly, to the point where she stopped opting out and is now using GSP even though she didn't want to.

Ebay, of course, has always denied that enrollment by stealth into the GSP occurs at all on the site...

Message 2256 of 3,104
latest reply

Ebay, of course, has always denied that enrollment by stealth into the GSP occurs at all on the site...

Not now. As AF mentioned, a while ago they did state that if a seller didn't already sell internationally, they would be opted into the gsp.

A seller has to specifically block international buyers or sell internationally on their own in order to not be opted into gsp.  Of course, that's how it is supposed to work...it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't always work that way.

Message 2257 of 3,104
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:
Yes to that, but I've also seen at least one regular poster who was opted in repeatedly, to the point where she stopped opting out and is now using GSP even though she didn't want to.

Unless there's much more to this story, you seem to be underscoring my suggestion that sellers who keep get opted into the GSP after opting out aren't doing anything else to ensure that they don't get re-enrolled into the program, such as applying bidder blocks or offering international shipping under their own steam.

Message 2258 of 3,104
latest reply

Yes, that's about it.

Message 2259 of 3,104
latest reply

I recently purchased few items from US sellers who using GSP program. However there is no detail on eBay or Paypal stating what consist of the import charge (i.e. a breakdown for  taxes, duties, admin fees and etc.). There is no information in the packages as well. Anyone knows where I can get this information? from eBay, Pitney Bowes or seller?

Thanks  

Message 2260 of 3,104
latest reply