Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

@radiowd wrote:

I would like to know, why Global Shipping is the automatic default method of shipping when a seller setups a sale?

I think because they are opted in by default when they agree to the user agreement. Many don't realize they are opted in, let alone know how to get out.

When some sellers have their first international sale they learn that they are opted in to the GSP. 

Message 921 of 3,104
latest reply

@radiowd wrote:

Why is Global Shipping charging Canadian Amateur Radio operators import duties and fees, when they are exempt from paying such charges? 

Global is collecting, and pocketing illegal money, that it should never have charged in the first place at time of payment for the goods.

Like I said, Global has to stop charging legally licensed amateur radio operators duty fees at time of payment for the goods bought. It's an illegal act under international laws, when these folks are duty exempt for goods coming into their country.

I'm not sure how we can tell if duty is included in the import charges, seeing the charges aren't itemized.

Are you referring to licenced Canadian Amateur Radio operators being exempt duties due to their helping with Search and Rescue operations ?

Message 922 of 3,104
latest reply

Also, why should it be the seller that defines, in what manner an item is sent to the buyer, when it's the buyer that paying the money to have it sent to their home.

The choice should always be the buyers choice, not eBay, Global, nor the seller.

It is and always has been the seller's choice of how the item is packaged and shipped. The buyer's only say is to agree and pay or disagree and not buy.

The seller is required to get the item to the buyer in a secure and prompt manner.

The seller decides how to package the item so that it does not break.

The seller decides whether the item should be insured and /or Delivery Confirmed.

Both of these protect the seller. It is not the right of the buyer to make the seller vulnerable to fraud.

Many sketchey buyers try to persuade naive sellers to ship overseas by cheap Surface shipping, only to claim a refund when the item does not arrive within the PP dispute period. 

(Of course, many sellers, particularly from Asia, use cheap surface shipping and persuade the buyer to wait past the dispute deadline for an item that may never have been mailed. There are bad guys on both sides.)

The buyer's choice is the most basic. Buy or do not buy. He can give advice, especially to a new seller who may not realize the value of double -boxing crystal stemware for example. But the seller is free to ignore that advice. (And get an Item Not As Described dispute for broken glass.)

Oh and white space/paragraphing is your friend. Otherwise you get TLTR comments.

Message 923 of 3,104
latest reply

I would like to know, why Global Shipping is the automatic default method of shipping when a seller setups a sale?

It isn't, but there was a negative option when new sellers signed up. And the Program was not well explained  to sellers who were not selling internationally.

New sellers and provincial/xenophobic sellers are the worst candidates for the program, but eBay still has not figured out how to explain to them when they should and should not use GSP.

For the record, basically eBay says that the program should not be used for items under $50.

The program was not set up for buyers.

It was set up to encourage American sellers to sell internationally because domestic sales were flatlining.

The benefit toa seller is that he cannot be penalized for non-arrival as long as he gets the item to PB in Kentucky, and he cannot be penalized for Not As Described since these cases go back to PB.

Message 924 of 3,104
latest reply

tacori09
Community Member

Called Canada customs to get reimbursed for Import charges from eBay since I have returned two items I purchased and they did not seem to have collected any custom duties.   What are the Import charges eBay adds for Canadian buyers and how can I get reimbursed when returning the item.   I hope this is not eBay just lining their pockets... can anyone tell me ?

Message 925 of 3,104
latest reply

he cannot be penalized for Not As Described since these cases go back to PB.

If a NAD case is opened because the item was damaged in shipping between the PB shipping center and the buyer, the seller does not have to refund...PB will do that. But the way I understand it, if the buyers wins a NAD case and the fault lies with the seller, the seller does have to refund the money that they received for the item and the domestic portion of the shipping. The buyer is not required to return the item

Message 926 of 3,104
latest reply

Dear Sirs: When did E bay start collecting money for CANADA  CUSTOMS on purchases?

Message 927 of 3,104
latest reply

Answer found on Customer Support :

Remember that with the Global Shipping Program, a seller who offers to refund your original shipping will only be returning the domestic shipping cost; you will not receive a refund for the international shipping cost and import charges that were paid to the US shipping center.

Sorry tacori09.

Message 928 of 3,104
latest reply

Fall 2012, i think. Now, up to 50% (maybe more) of sellers use the GSP... and that's only a beginning.

Message 929 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks PJ.

The whole question of unhappy transactions needs clarification. At the moment it looks like open season for buyers who would not think of cheating an actual person, but who would take advantage of what seems to be overly easy refunds from PB.

Message 930 of 3,104
latest reply

Most of the money paid by buyers under the GSP is actually sales tax on items manufactured in a NAFTA or other free trade country. Plus a $5 or so 'import fee' that pays for getting the purchase from Kentucky to the buyer's doorstep.

Message 931 of 3,104
latest reply

you will not receive a refund for the international shipping cost and import charges that were paid to the US shipping center.

Not from Pitney Bowes in any case. However, that should not stop a buyer from pursuing the refund from Canada Border Services Agency.

Some arithmetic may be necessary, since the costs include sales taxes which vary from province to province, and a fee of about $5 which is PB's own fee for processing the purchase into Canada.

Message 932 of 3,104
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The whole question of unhappy transactions needs clarification. At the moment it looks like open season for buyers who would not think of cheating an actual person, but who would take advantage of what seems to be overly easy refunds from PB.

There are a lot of things about GSP that need clarification. The whole scheme was poorly designed, poorly implemented and poorly explained. And despite assurances to the contrary, I don't see eBay doing a whole lot to remedy this.

As for buyers "stealing" GSP refunds, maybe I'm naive but I believe that most people are honest. I don't believe that it would occur to most people to claim a GSP refund they're not entitled to just like I don't believe in the existence of myriads of so-called "customs hangers" standing in line at customs to pay taxes on their eBay items after getting refunded for non-receipt.

Besides, since the refund process is as confused and as confusing as everything else about the GSP, most buyers don't seem to know what to do even when they genuinely need to be refunded.

(Edited for typos)

Message 933 of 3,104
latest reply

Besides, since the refund process is as confused and as confusing as everything else about the GSP, most buyers don't seem to know what to do even when they genuinely need to be refunded.

Most sellers don't seem to know what to do either. That really reflects poorly upon ebay.

Message 934 of 3,104
latest reply

@melm7521 wrote:

Dear Sirs: When did E bay start collecting money for CANADA  CUSTOMS on purchases?

Since never.

eBay doesn't administer the Global Shipping Program.

To answer what I think is your question, though, the Global Shipping Country was slowly rolled out about a year and a half ago and the pace picked up about a year ago.  Many other U.S.-based e-tailers have similar systems in place.

Message 935 of 3,104
latest reply

when does global shipping send me a statement for all the payments i have sent them?  i run a proper shop and do my taxes.  so need this for my accountant to do the proper paperwork and need hard copies to keep in my files.  please answer me this.

thanks

Message 936 of 3,104
latest reply

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

when does global shipping send me a statement for all the payments i have sent them?  i run a proper shop and do my taxes.  so need this for my accountant to do the proper paperwork and need hard copies to keep in my files.  please answer me this.

thanks

Message 937 of 3,104
latest reply

when will the company send me info on everything i paid them and for what.  i need to do taxes and such.

like most of us.  i buy and sell.  but also own two shops.  that why i do all my taxes for everything.  

so please inform me when i would be expecting such a thing.  my account needs the info.

can't just give them a total.  we have to know what is being paid for what.  thanks

Message 938 of 3,104
latest reply

@gorydeath3 wrote:

when will the company send me info on everything i paid them and for what.  i need to do taxes and such.

like most of us.  i buy and sell.  but also own two shops.  that why i do all my taxes for everything.  

so please inform me when i would be expecting such a thing.  my account needs the info.

can't just give them a total.  we have to know what is being paid for what.  thanks

While you're waiting for a response, Gorydeath3, you may want to read posts 2404 onwards from the "Comments on the Global Shipping Program" thread.

Message 939 of 3,104
latest reply

The GSP excludes business purchases, see the terms and conditions, so 'Never' is the answer to your general question.

You need to keep your own records. Screen prints of the items bought should suffice.

Message 940 of 3,104
latest reply