Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

mwc1942
Community Member

The Canadian Border Services Agency states that if an item is worth $20.00 or less, that item may be duty and tax-free.  Should a bidder win an GSP item at that value or less, the bidder is required to pay the import fee.  

1 - How does bidder receive credit for the imposed import fee?

2 - For that matter, how does bidder receive credit for any GSP import fee paid if the item falls under NAFTA? 

Message 1001 of 3,104
latest reply

The way I understand it, if the item was purchased while the buyer was shopping on .com, the buyer can file on either ebay or paypal. If the buyer was signed into .ca when making the purchasing, the claim will automatically be transferred to paypal even if the buyer tried to open the claim on ebay. It doesn't matter if it is a claim that involves gsp.

Message 1002 of 3,104
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

The Canadian Border Services Agency states that if an item is worth $20.00 or less, that item may be duty and tax-free.  Should a bidder win an GSP item at that value or less, the bidder is required to pay the import fee.  

2 - For that matter, how does bidder receive credit for any GSP import fee paid if the item falls under NAFTA? 

1. Items under C$20 are not charged import fees under the gsp. Do you have an example of a listing that is charging it?

2. Ideally, the program is supposed to be set up so that items that are duty free under NAFTA are not charged duty. NAFTA items are subject to tax though and PB does add on a service charge to any transaction that goes through them. If the seller did not list which country the item was made in and you did pay duty, you cannot receive a credit. The buyer's gsp agreement explains any fees paid are non refundable unless there is a problem with a transaction. (item not received or not as described)

Message 1003 of 3,104
latest reply

The nett result for claimants, however they proceed does seem to be better in the end for GSP buyers, since they do not have to pay to return damaged items or items that were incorrectly delivered. It appears that the GSP simply writes them off and claims from its insurers.

Interesting.

Let's hope the scammers don't figure this out too quickly.

And how would such claims, completed by PB, affect the 'defects' policy and the original seller?

Message 1004 of 3,104
latest reply

I purchased a fly rod from a US seller who shipped through the global shipping program.  When Canada Post brought the parcel I had to pay another $82 for tax.  The seller listed the value of the rod for what he felt it was worth, more than double what I paid.  I contacted Putney Bowes who was absolutely no help, messaged them again and have had no response.  

How do I get these extra charges back?

Message 1005 of 3,104
latest reply

And how would such claims, completed by PB, affect the 'defects' policy and the original seller?

A very pertinent question, and one that it may be possible for bennett to answer, though it's certainly going to be a tricky one.

Message 1006 of 3,104
latest reply

Sorry about your dilemma.  ALWAYS by-pass any seller using GSP - however much you want/need/gotta have it item.  You'll pay through the nose, as you've found out.  FYI - read the gazillion post in the Buyers Central Board since it was introduced - well, not all, it'll take months.

Cheers

Message 1007 of 3,104
latest reply

You purchased "Vintage H.L.Leonard Tournament" for US$ 202.50 plus shipping plus "import charges".. Those charges should cover both the taxes payable and a small handling fee (brokerage).

However. since Canada Post asked you to pay taxes at time of delivery, it suggests the seller made a mistake and shipped directly to you instead of shipping to Pitney-Bowes distribution centre in Kentucky as instructed by eBay/PayPal at time of receiving payment..

1) Contact the seller immediately and confirm he shipped directly to you.  Then ask why he overdeclared the value for Customs purposes.

2) File a claim with PayPal for your "import charges" you paid.  Reason: goods not received.

3) File for a refund of the excess taxes paid using the back of the Canada Customs form received from Canada Post with the charges.  Show what the value of the transaction was and enclose a printed copy of the listing with the selling price (US$202.50) on which taxes should have been paid.

Good Luck.

Message 1008 of 3,104
latest reply

Mine is an evil laugh-- Hoban Washburne

Message 1009 of 3,104
latest reply

that value or less, the bidder is required to pay the import fee.  

So under $20, there is no duty, nor any sales tax.

And the 'shipping and handling' that the seller charged stays with her to move the item from her address to KY probably with DC.

But PB is still moving it from KY to Canada (or Greece or Australia or Germany).

So where is PB getting the money to move those cheap, but not necessarily small, items?

And if PB is doing it for free out of the goodness of their hearts, does this explain anything about the current Canada Post policies under a former PB executive now CPO CEO?

Message 1010 of 3,104
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The nett result for claimants, however they proceed does seem to be better in the end for GSP buyers, since they do not have to pay to return damaged items or items that were incorrectly delivered. It appears that the GSP simply writes them off and claims from its insurers.

Interesting.

Let's hope the scammers don't figure this out too quickly.

Not being a seller here, I have read very little about the defects policy that is being introduced, but this has me wondering. Am I correct in saying that this new defect policy is eBay's way of trying introduce a rating system to ensure that sellers "deliver the goods", consistently, based on successful completion of transactions?

In other words, transactions that are not "completed" i.e cancelled, INR, etc are considered a defect (under certain conditions) ... and will count against the seller? The possible end result being that a seller might face indefinite suspension if their successful completion rate is below par? 

To continue this line of reasoning, those many  sellers using the GSP inappropriately (over sized items etc   that are "confiscated" upon arrival in Erlanger) should have  such cancelled transactions count as defects. This is exactly the type of thing (as I understand) the "defect rate" is trying to eliminate. 

Thanks, reallynicestamps, for raising this issue of "defects" and the GSP. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Message 1011 of 3,104
latest reply

http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_strategies/2014/03/enter-the-ebay-defect-rate-ebay-tweaks-the-f...

To quote from this:

• Only sales with a US buyer count towards eDR (eBay Defect Rate)  so if you have 1000 sales to the UK, they are excluded from the eDR calculation.
  • Global Shipping Program (GSP) - For US sellers these transactions are not included (see first bullet).  FYI we are getting a lot of mixed messages from sellers about GSP suggesting that it is negatively impacting their TRS, hopefully this will clear that up.  

Hmmm. 

Message 1012 of 3,104
latest reply

I purchased a fly rod from a US seller who shipped through the global shipping program.  When Canada Post brought the parcel I had to pay another $82 for tax.  The seller listed the value of the rod for what he felt it was worth, more than double what I paid.  I contacted Pitney Bowes who was absolutely no help, messaged them again and have had no response.  

How do I get these extra charges back?

The only way this could happen is if the seller bypassed the GSP and sent the item direct. Do you still have the packaging? Have you any record of tracking numbers?  You say the seller listed the value as what he felt it was worth. GSP items do not have customs forms attached, so it sounds very much like this seller sent direct.

Assuming this is what they did, your recourse lies with the seller who caused you the extra expense by messing up the shipping process, but there is no formal process for restitution for you. You will get no response from PB  because they did not ship the item.

Message 1013 of 3,104
latest reply

autodome
Community Member

As a business in Canada, when I purchase something from a vendor using the GSP, I have to record the amount of HST. Is there anyway to get a breakdown of the import fees as how much is duties/brokerage and how much is actually HST?

Message 1014 of 3,104
latest reply

When it comes to the GSP, PB, ebay and gsp sellers are given a free pass as far as customer service goes.  If the buyer doesn't receive an item sent through the gsp, any negative feedback and low DSR is automatically removed so I have to assume that defects will not be given out for GSP bloopers.

Message 1015 of 3,104
latest reply

As a business in Canada, when I purchase something from a vendor using the GSP, I have to record the amount of HST. Is there anyway to get a breakdown of the import fees as how much is duties/brokerage and how much is actually HST?

GSP is specifically excluded for business purchases, probably to avoid having to give more detail than it would be economical to provide.

It seems the brokerage and other fees amount to about $5. Just claim the amount you paid as import fees less $5.

Unless you are buying stuff by the ton, not even a government accountant is going to sweat you over 5 bucks, and that would be noticed  only if they were determined to ravage you anyway. 

As long as you have loads of figures no one really cares if they are right or not. In general near enough is good enough.

Message 1016 of 3,104
latest reply

" Do you have an example of a listing that is charging it?"

Had just seen a listing that had the opening bid of $20.00 plus shipping of $x [don't recall] and zero $ next to import.  Thought the reason for zero $ was because no bid had been placed and that lead to the question.  That was then this is now, check item number 321380085001 @.com.

Along the same lines, where does it say that seller MUST list the country where it was made, have scanned the sellers GSP terms & conditions but so far have failed to find it mentioned.

Message 1017 of 3,104
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

@That was then this is now, check item number 321380085001 @.com.

That item is priced at US$19.99, which would convert to a value over C$20, making the item subject to applicable taxes and duty.

@mwc1942 wrote:

Along the same lines, where does it say that seller MUST list the country where it was made, have scanned the sellers GSP terms & conditions but so far have failed to find it mentioned.

Check under "program rules".  This is in subsection h of section 2, entitled "Your Use of the Program":

You will accurately specify, where possible, each Parcel's weight and dimensions plus the item's country of manufacture (if known) in your listing.

Message 1018 of 3,104
latest reply

"That item is priced at US$19.99, which would convert to a value over C$20, making the item subject to applicable taxes and duty."

Absolutely correct, I was in error.

"Check under "program rules".  This is in subsection h of section 2, entitled "Your Use of the Program":

Knew it was there, just needed someone to tell me where to look.  Thanks
Message 1019 of 3,104
latest reply

"1. Items under C$20 are not charged import fees under the gsp."

Would you be kind a point out where that is stated?

Thanks

Message 1020 of 3,104
latest reply