Receive Invoice from Fed Ex one Month later for Product purchase from USA

I received some products from the USA about a month ago.   Total declared value on the invoice is $50, even though I paid about 4 times that.  Surprise invoice from Fed Ex in the mail today for almost $13.  

Also, no easy way to pay, just a Remittance paper.  Nothing directing you to online payment whatsoever. Looks like you gotta take this right to the bank?!

Watch out using FED EX from US folks.  GST was under 3.00 and they are hitting me with a 10.00 advancement fee. What the heck is that?!

Scammers!

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I got one as well, weeks after picking up the parcel. I'm pretty sure they can't say, after the fact, that you have to pay them.

All couriers like to milk you for as much as they can.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

No, they can't force you to pay them as you have no contract with them. However, they will then bill the seller who shouldn't be paying the buyer's taxes.

The "advancement" fee is probably called that as they are prepaying taxes/duty for you. Basically, it's a broker fee.

It is a good idea to not order from U.S. sellers that are using couriers as it often ends up costing you more in the end.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

No, they can't force you to pay them as you have no contract with them. However, they will then bill the seller who shouldn't be paying the buyer's taxes.

PJ, I wasn't aware of that and thank you for posting it..........  but........... 

How do you know that they will bill the seller for those costs?  

Have you had experience with that, and if so what was it?

I'd be interested to know for sure if it's true.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

From Fed-Ex Canada:

Why am I being charged an Advancement Fee?

This fee applies to all shipments when FedEx pays duties and taxes to the Canada Border Services Agency on behalf of a customer. The fee is based on the total amount of duties and taxes advanced, and will be billed to the party designated to pay the duties and taxes. See the current Advancement Fee at the Ancillary Clearance Services page.
NOTE: You can avoid having to pay the Advancement Fee by
opening a FedEx account with a credit card.

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/international/import/index.html 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

PJ, I wasn't aware of that and thank you for posting it..........  but........... 

How do you know that they will bill the seller for those costs?  

Have you had experience with that, and if so what was it?

I'd be interested to know for sure if it's true.

It is quite true !

They will bill the seller for fees paid on your behalf.

That would be GST/HST plus a brokerage charge.

As a Canadian buyer you should expect to pay taxes on the items you purchase from a foreign country.  Sometimes you get lucky and do not have to pay.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

nuvisitor..............(or PJ since it seems you know about this), have you personally had experience with that or do you know a seller who has?

I'm not sure if your comments are just speculation or based on experience.

In my experience couriers don't usually leave an item and then bill after the fact but I'm sure it happens although probably less common than the way i've experienced couriers shipments.

When I get an item via courier they won't turn the item over until any money owing has been paid.

So I'm wondering, to take it one step further............. the same idea and scenario, but a little more involved:

If a Canadian purchases an item from the US.............. and the buyer refuses the item because the brokerage fees are too high.............

What happens to that item?

a) Does it just get returned to the US seller at no extra cost?

b) Does it get returned to the seller with a charge for brokerage fees?

c) Does it get returned to the seller with a charge for brokerage fees plus duty and taxes?

d)  (The option I'm really wondering about).......... What if the seller refuses to pay the bill for brokerage fees etc., and the courier it the type who does not leave items at the door......... (IMO the more common procedure than billing after-the-fact).

Does the item go to some UPS (or whatever) auction?

Do you know anything about that?

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I guess  different people have different experiences.  FedEx leaves my pkg at my door, and about a month later I receive their invoice for usually about $16, which I promptly pay. This is a regular occurrence several times a year; I am aware of the fee, and choose to continue my purchasing, regardless, and consider it part of the cost of my purchase.

UPS ( Cdn. Shipments) leaves my pkgs at the door when no charges are outstanding, unless it is from Apple, and requires a signature.  For the occasional US shipment, they return until I am home, to pay the invoice on the spot.

Purolater leaves my pkgs at the door. 

Any purchases are imports by me, and I expect couriers' invoices when I order.  I am aware of the exact costs at the time  of  purchase, and have agreed to them.   Having  said that, I would not allow an eBay purchase to be shipped via courier because there are too many unknowns, nor am I willing to pay the additional cost when USPS is available.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

In my experience couriers don't usually leave an item and then bill after the fact but I'm sure it happens although probably less common than the way i've experienced couriers shipments

When I get an item via courier they won't turn the item over until any money owing has been paid.

UPS won't leave it until paid for.

FEDEX leaves it and bills you later.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

nuvisitor..............(or PJ since it seems you know about this), have you personally had experience with that or do you know a seller who has?

I'm not sure if your comments are just speculation or based on experience.

In my experience UPS dosn't usually leave an item and then bill after the fact.

When I get an item via UPS they won't turn the item over until any money owing has been paid.

So I'm wondering, to take it one step further............. the same idea and scenario, but a little more involved:

If a Canadian purchases an item from the US and it is shipped via UPS.............. and the buyer refuses the item because the brokerage fees are too high.............

What happens to that item?

a) Does it just get returned to the US seller at no extra cost?

b) Does it get returned to the seller with a charge for brokerage fees?

c) Does it get returned to the seller with a charge for brokerage fees plus duty and taxes?

d)  (The option I'm really wondering about).......... What if the seller refuses to pay the bill for brokerage fees etc., and it's a UPS shipment .............

Does the item go to some UPS auction?

Do you know anything about that?

So that explains part of it.  I think I've only received via UPS.

So I've re-worded the original post to allow for that.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

"I guess  different people have different experiences.  FedEx leaves my pkg at my door, and about a month later I receive their invoice"

I have exactly the same experience.

"UPS won't leave it until paid for. 

FEDEX leaves it and bills you later."

I also have the same experience.

"So I'm wondering"

To get a factual answer to your inquiry it would be best to call FedEx and ask. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Thank You P******* for trying.  That would be a complete waste of my time and I'll save myself that headache.

It would be nice if the world worked the way, but Trust Me: It does not.

Even though we would like to believe that the answers are a phone call away, they rarely are.

Things are almost always much more complicated than they could/should be.

It's a little like calling ebay customer service.  :).  Most of the time they don't even the understand the questions very well.

But thank you again for trying.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Fedex, UPS, etc charge a Brokerage fee + they collect Canadian taxes whenever they bring items across the border Unless the item is a 'gift'.

I buy from USA sellers constantly ~ if I see they use a Courier service  I simply email them (before I make the purchase) to find the cost of shipping by USPS.

In most cases they can and they will ~ Normally the shipping is much less and there's no big surprise at the door or months later.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Would they call a collection agency on you if you don't pay?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I would say you got off lucky by the seller only marking

it at $50,00. instead of the $200.00 you actually paid.

I would pay it and move on.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I will just pay and move on.  Although, it doesn't give you any stated options on HOW to pay. Thought it would be a good post for discussion.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I buy from USA sellers constantly ~ if I see they use a Courier service  I simply email them (before I make the purchase) to find the cost of shipping by USPS.

You realize CanadaPost also charges $10 fee, same as Fedex Advancement fee.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I just received an "invoice" a month after delivery. Had I known there would be EXTRA charges I would have declined delivery but by doing this a month after receiving the item it's tantamount to extortion. Could I just not pay it?

(signed , not happy)

Les 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

The problem with old threads is that the information in them may be out of date and no longer valid.

If you have a problem, start a new thread.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply