Russian Scam - buyers beware

mmao05
Community Member

I purchased an expensive item from a Russian seller with 0 feedback and no history. Item was supposedly "shipped" to me in Canada from Russia, and I was provided a bogus tracking number that I could "track" at the website nastka.ru.

The tracking number appeared legitimate, but I was not able to find any other Russian service that can see this number, and I was not able to find any history or company information on nastka.ru. The website itself appeared too simple for a delivery service, almost as if it was purpose-build as a false storefront.

The item was "tracked" to "Canada customs" and it was rejected and sent back to sender 4 weeks later. I filed a Paypal claim and got my money back, but this seller never responded to the dispute.

EBAY users beware of russian sellers with no history, and watch out for the website nastka.ru!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Good thing you know about Paypal's 180 day Dispute policy.

And that Paypal hides its Resolution Centre under Tools at the top of each account page.

Thank you for the heads up.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@mmao05 wrote:

The item was "tracked" to "Canada customs" and it was rejected and sent back to sender 4 weeks later. I filed a Paypal claim and got my money back, but this seller never responded to the dispute.

New sellers often do not know how to respond to a dispute or what to do when a buyer opens one.  It sounds like the lens was mailed by the seller but never passed Canada Customs for some reason.  How does that make the seller the RUSSIAN SCAMMER you called him?  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

because the package never left Russia...the tracking is fake!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Oh...yes...I have the same experience. It is too bad for the rigid seller from Russia that one bad apple (apples) will ruin their businesses.

i used to buy a lot of stuffs from the seller from Russia without any problem except for this seller.

He gave me a fake tracking number from fake shipping company called 'nastka.ru' The item never reached Canada and was sent back to the seller (information from fake shipping company).  I filed complaints through eBay and got my refund back.

Please be careful when dealing with the seller from Russia with "ZERO" feedback. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Russia? - TRUMP? NYET!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Same here, bid on  a lens, ship via nastka.ru, zero feedback seller, the seller even deactivate his ebay account after payment. The tracking said: "Invoice too low. Returned to senderInvoice too low. Returned to sender". The shipment page looks weird, as a shipment company, no address, no phone, the website is build via wordpress.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You have up to 180 days from purchase to file a Dispute with Paypal for Item Not Delivered.

The PP Resolution Centre is on your account page at the top under Tools.

The first suggestion is to contact the seller. Since you have already done that, just escalate immediately to a Claim.'

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery), you will be refunded*.

Sellers cannot easily "deactivate" an account. It is much more likely that the seller was kicked off the site. In your Claim, say that the seller is now Not A Registered User (NARU). This usually moves things a little faster.

It's not applicable in this case, but never accept an offer of a replacement on an item that is either not received or arrives damaged. It won't arrive.

*If the seller does not refund voluntarily, PP will do it, and then go after him for their money. And PP has his financial information.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

matis88
Community Member
Oh ho. I just I'm in this kind of transaction with a Russian Zero feedback seller for a Wedico RC Truck. The website he gave me with the tracking number looks me suspicious. I found this thread after with the same modus openrendi. I bought it 2 days ago. Is it too short to open a dispute?
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

No.

But you may be told that you have to wait until the seller responds.

It may be faster to skip eBay and go directly to your Paypal account.

Their Resolution Centre is under Tools at the top of your account page.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You can't open a dispute on eBay until after the latest expected delivery date.  Why do you say the site looks suspicious?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The tracking website was made with Wordpress.  

The seller use a fake Russian EMS tracking number and this tracking number works only on his Wordpress site.  I saw the W of Wordpress in the address bar.  I put the tracking number on the official Russian Website and it was a wrong tracking number.  

I did open my dispute and the guy insult me one week after.  I ask him to proceed with the sale and hold the dispute until I get the truck but he prefer to "call it back".  

He didn't reply to Paypal.  If I was in his position you can be sure I would fight my point.  

I'm so sorry for all honest Russian seller because they lost credibility with this kind of situation.  

I should get my money back if he did not reply.

Sad story,  This RC truck was very awesome.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I should get my money back if he did not reply.

Well, yes.

But neither eBay nor Paypal know there is a problem until you tell them.

Have you opened an Item Not Received Dispute with either company?

Message 13 of 13
latest reply