Seller cancelled order under false reason

I bid on an item yesterday evening from a seller from Canada (so no GSP involved). I then went to bed, because it was ending in the middle of the night. This morning, I wake up and see that I won (cool, it was a really great deal). Except... a few minutes later, seller cancelled order by choosing "Buyer asked for cancellation" and then sent me a message saying there was an error in the opening bid.

I could have lived with that *IF* she had waited for my OK before cancelling. But she cancelled by lying as to why. That is what is upsetting me the most. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

marnotom!
Community Member

Sounds like you dodged a bullet.  I wouldn't want to deal with a seller like that.  Who knows how they'd handle things if there was a problem with the item you received?

Yes, it's frustrating.  Yes, it's annoying.  You have every right to feel cheesed off by this seller's behaviour.  But make sure you move on.

Karma will get 'em.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your reply! Maybe you're right. My first instinct would have been to leave a neg, but as I usually do when something like this happens, I decided to let a few days pass to clear things in my head. I will then decide what to do.

To top it off, this afternoon, a buyer from Mexico opened a claim with eBay without contacting me first. What is wrong with people? They don't know how to communicate anymore? Another automatic Late Shipment defect on the way!

I just had one last week because a buyer from Italy responded "no" to the famous question. For arrival only 2 days after estimated delivery (which is, by the way, totally off of eBay to say it will arrive in 2 weeks to Italy!!). So frustrating!

I hope this third problem will be the last for while, because it's really frustrating, especially around the Holidays like this, with super low sales compared to other years at this time of the year.

Rant over 😉

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If you have the time, you might want to phone ebay.  Supposedly when a seller uses that excuse ebay looks at messages between buyer and seller to see if the buyer really did cancel.  I hear about so many sellers cancelling on their own and using the reason that buyer requested I suspect that a lot of sellers get away with doing that and don't get a defect unless someone complains.

eBay used to ask the buyer if they agreed with the cancellation but I don't think that happens very often. Its odd that they stopped doing that once sellers started getting defects for cancellations.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Holy Unethical Behavior, I also believe in Karma, unfortunately it sometimes takes its sweet time in going around. I think we all would like to be able to cancel auctions where we didn't get the best price, but that's not the way it works, at least I would like to think so.

Does it look like this is SOP, or a one time deal? Should be fairly easy to figure out.

I may not leave feedback, but I would call and let ebay know what happened. Sellers like this give all of us a bad name, and chase good buyers away, which should not be tolerated.

To see so many good sellers kicked off ebay when the defect rating system arrived by simply being asked a question(defect at the time), and see what is happening now, is unbelievable.

Sorry this happened to you, most sellers are not like this.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I bid on an item yesterday evening from a seller from Canada (so no GSP involved). I then went to bed, because it was ending in the middle of the night. This morning, I wake up and see that I won (cool, it was a really great deal). Except... a few minutes later, seller cancelled order by choosing "Buyer asked for cancellation" and then sent me a message saying there was an error in the opening bid.

I could have lived with that *IF* she had waited for my OK before cancelling. But she cancelled by lying as to why. That is what is upsetting me the most. Any thoughts?

That's very common and the current version of the process means that sellers rarely suffer negative consequences for this behaviour.

If you opt to call eBay the seller will get a strike but you'll get passed around among several CS reps.

If you're angry enough there might some fleeting feeling of satisfaction but otherwise you'd gain nothing of value for your effort.  

I think you can still leave NFB (not sure because that process changes all the time), but generally (as a buyer) you would suffer the consequences of that behaviour more than the seller would.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If you think your winning price was ridiculously too low , then you would understand the cancellation even though we don't agree with how it was done.
OTOH, if it was a fair bid that led you to win the item, then you should pursue it further .
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your advice. After looking more closely at the seller's account, it seems more of a newbie mistake than anything else. So I will let it pass. I exchanged one message with her, and she seemed genuine about the mistake. Hopefully, she won't cancel like this with another buyer. And more importantly, I hope she will pay more attention to her starting bid next time.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Seems like the sellers can cancel the transaction for whatever reason they wish with no compensation to the purchaser.   This is why we have lawyers.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 10 of 10
latest reply