This is getting ridiculous

This is the second seller in a row that I have had problems with and I am seriously about to no longer use ebay as an option for my online shopping. This time I bid on a product and won...seller writes to me 2 days later and says, " we were on vacation and we are not able to sell this item now, do you want a refund?" I said no I would prefer the item, as I won it at a great deal. No response. I wrote last night and today and still no response...meanwhile the item is back up for auction...and they processed my payment through PayPal....this is ridiculous...I am tired of sellers wasting my time!!!! What are my options now? Wait the 30 days and open a case? That's insane!!! Ebay, consider this notice...2 strikes if you will.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

This type of bait and switch normally leads to shoddy merchandise even if it is mailed. The best advice I can give you is to avoid time-wasters who dangle a ‘great deal’ for the reasons you are discovering. If it sounds too good to be true, it will be. That rule applies across all shopping platforms. Not just ebay.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Another possibility in this case was the seller was not satisfied with the amount of your winning bid and was the reason he wanted to refund and relist. The general consensus is use buy it now or best offer when available. That way you will know you and the seller will end up happy with the transaction.

-CM

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I've had a similar experience on two occasions.

I stood my ground, stating I won the auction and to ship my purchase.

Both times I received the item.

Wait out the max estimated delivery date.

If not received, open a case, and in a civil manner leave the appropriate feedback.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Lazy Seller, myself i prefer doing the sale.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

"the seller was not satisfied with the amount of your winning bid"

Yup, obviously. When I've received 'the message', I want to ask, "Are you calling me stupid?"

IMO, stupid is the seller asking well below the value of an item to draw in bidders in pursuit of an eventual bidding frenzy.

Good for you when the gamble pays off.

Suck it up when it doesn't... It's not my problem.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I would prefer the item, as I won it at a great deal. No response. I wrote last night and today and still no response...meanwhile the item is back up for auction...and they processed my payment through PayPal....this is ridiculous..

Was the item a unique collectible or was it mass merchandise?

If the latter, they may have multiples.

If the former you are at best dealing with a space cadet.

Send one more message.

"Please give me the date of shipping, the service used and the tracking number."

You could include the transaction numbers from eBay and Paypal if you like.

If you don't get the tracking number promptly-- and anything else is smoke and mirrors-- open an Item Not Received dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Ignore the suggestion that you Contact the Seller, since you've done that.

Ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery(not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

You can leave appropriate Feedback after your refund.

The most effective FB is calm and factual.

"Did not ship, eBay refunded."  perhaps.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Getting a refund via INR is not the goal of this buyer though, as we already learned that the seller wanted to cancel and refund the buyer. I think what the buyer is looking for, is a way to punish sellers with such behaviour.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply