Unreasonable shipping cost within Canada

I recently purchased an item, however the buyer was charging $44 shipping via Canada Post, while my calculation showed a cost of $30 shipping. When I asked the seller how he came about his shipping cost he responded writing " The Rynok method, with a +/-4% correction factor". Anyone ever hear of this or am I being given a red herring?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Some sellers put their shipping costs into the asking price. This is called "free shipping".

Some sellers put part of their asking price into the shipping price. This makes the item look cheaper at first glance.

Which is cheapest?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

I don't know which method Mr. Rynok is using.

If the total price is too high, don't buy.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
The time to argue S&H costs is before you purchase.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@andyandted 

It's difficult to challenge shipping until you physically receive the actual items. Some sellers inflate size and measurements to follow the rule better safe than sorry. Also hard to know what a seller paid because of the discount they qualify for or if they are using stamps bought on the cheap. And then there is that part about various sellers having different expenses. Gas to get to the post office or someone packaging for them. As previously suggested, if you do think shipping sounds a bit high, never hurts to inquire first. After the fact, you can ask for a credit. No guarantees.

-Lotz

PS. They could have chosen a smaller box when they went to ship and this caused the discrepancy for postage. Up to the sellers prerogative if they choose to refund. The seller is not refunded for fees  already paid to eBay.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hi, I realize all the points you folks have given me, however I am asking if anyone has heard of this "Rynok Method", not a critique of what I could have or should have done. Is this a legitimate method or is this a smokescreen. I do not wish to react if there is truth to the sellers statement.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It's the seller's own method, and his reply, "The Rynok Method", was sarcasm.

As femmefan suggested, "Rynok" is probably the seller's surname.

I Googled "Rynok Method" for you.

There is no reference at all.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"Rynok" is Russian for "market".

Extrapolate what you want from that.  I don't think the seller is being a tad sarcastic but, rather, sardonic.

Shipping is a commodity and as far as I'm concerned, the seller can charge for it whatever they feel the market can bear provided it is reasonable.  I don't know the item in question, but I had to pick up an item from the nearest town of note to mine (about 80 km away) , I'd say that forty-four bucks would be worth the time and trouble for somebody else to do it, but it may not make the item worth buying in the first place.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thanks very much, I suspected the seller was being disingenuous however wanted to be sure.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hi there, Canada posts stampage cost might be $30, but l believe ebay takes a fee that is about 10% of the shipping charge, then there is the packing and materials, box/crate etc - that needs to be paid for and could run up a few bucks. Also, cost of running the item down to the mailing office, l don’t believe these couriers or Canada post collect the purchased item from the sellers doorstep. So yes, what might seem to be a $30 mail charge can easily get upto $40 or so.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

They will but there is a minimum charge for this ($3.50) so it isn't worthwhile for small sellers. I rarely have more than eight or ten shipments in a day and most of those are Letter rate so I can drop them in the nearest mailbox -- about 75 metres from my house.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/request-pickup.page

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

1 - Was the Shipping & Handling cost clearly quoted in the listing before you made your purchase?

2 - Was this item the cheapest with shipping included to your address after you did your "comparison" shopping for the exact same item including shipping?

3 - Did you read the listing beforehand?

4- Did you ask any questions to the Sellers about the "Shipping" costs, before you purchased the item?

The ONLY answer to these questions is YES

If you answered NO, your problem your oversight, your error!

BDR - Buyers Don't Read is a real issue and not the Sellers fault...

...although some Shoppers think it is!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@brettjet38, if I'm understanding the OP's post in message 5 correctly, their concern isn't over the shipping rate so much as it is how the seller arrived at that shipping rate.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

"...their concern isn't over the shipping rate so much as it is how the seller arrived at that shipping rate"

The above is irrelevant because if any "buyer" has a concern about the shipping costs they should ask about them before making a/the purchase...

...the Seller replied with some, wit and sarcasm! "The Rynok method, with a +/-4% correction factor" this is his "own" formula & they are not required to "elaborate" after the fact. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply